My own marathon challenge: 7 days, 100 hours of midstakes PLO!

• GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Hey all,

I just randomly saw that there was a marathon going on here for this month. I won't be able to participate in the promo because I am leaving on vacation in a couple of weeks but I still wanted to blog about my insane week marathon that I set myself! I decided to do it a week ago but today is my first day of the challenge.

For those who don't know me my SN is GodlikeRoy and i'm a part of Team PokerStars Online. I've randomly decided to have myself a little poker marathon next week. The details are simple: 100 hours of poker in 7 days. It's not totally insane and probably lots of people would have done this before. I'm not taking bets against me completing it or anything like that - it's just a little experiment/challenge. I think it will be particularly cool because i'm going to attempt to live as healthy and balanced a life as possible while still putting in this much volume, and i'll be updating my progress as I go along.

Why am I doing this?

• To improve my game. Over the years i've noticed that I play my best poker when i'm playing the most poker.
      • To motivate my future self. Sometimes I slack off with poker and sometimes I find it really hard to play more than a couple of hours a day. If I can manage ~15hrs/day while still maintaining a good quality of health & lifestyle then 8hrs a day should be a walk in the park and my future self has no excuse for being a bum. Neither do you, for that matter.
      • For money, VPPs, fame and glory. It stands to reason that if i'm playing a lot, and playing my best, then i'll reap some pretty nifty rewards. I don't necessarily need the extreme boost to VPPs (I am comfortably ahead of SNE pace) but it'll be nice.
      • For fun. Yes, this one is weird, but I am weird that way. I really think it'll be fun to track my progress and post about it each day. It's been a long time since I did any sort of regular poker-updating and I miss it.

Thing I want to do throughout the week

• Get a minimum of 6 hours sleep a night, but no more than 8 hours.
      • Carry out my normal morning ritual every day.
      • Refrain from overeating. One of the most common reasons I get the "ugh I don't wanna grind" feeling is after eating too much.
      • Keep my back healthy. I'll be switching between my standing desk setup and my regular one to ensure I don't put too much strain on any part of my body.
      • Stay active. Besides the daily stretching from my morning ritual and the standing up while at my desk I want to add additional exercise.
      • Blog once at the end of each day about how things went. I doubt the posts will be large but a simple graph + thoughts on the day will suffice.
      • Strive to play my A-game as often as possible. I'm already eliminating one of my greatest grinding distraction vices this month by quitting Reddit, so that's sure to help keep my focus levels high.
      • Do a quick warm-up and cool-down each day before/after I play - another thing that will help me play my A game and make it easier to get into and out of the poker mindset each day.
      • Play at least 50,000 hands. That's only 500 an hour and should be relatively easy - my only concern is that during the day time there are very few tables running of 2/4+ sometimes, so my sleep schedule might need to be slightly adjusted. This is mostly in there so I don't feel like I can get away with 1-tabling for half the time.
      • Maintain a winrate of at least 5bb/100. If that's impossible due to variance, i'd like an evbb/100 winrate of 5. If that's impossible due to variance, i'd like at the very least to be able to say that I played great poker and be confident about it.

What preparations will I make for the week?

• Get all my meals ready beforehand. Breakfast will be muesli, lunch will be a sandwich or a salad and dinner will be some sort of take out: thai, sushi, charcoal chicken & salad, etc.
      • Keep snacks and tea/coffee on hand so as to not need go hungry / want to take breaks. I do this anyway with a kettle and nespresso machine in my office + containers of nuts and a fruit bowl nearby.
      • Minimize distractions. I've cleared out my calendar and have almost nothing scheduled for the whole week. Aside from one physiotherapy appointment I can wholly focus on the challenge. My only other distractions will be unexpected.
      • Set goals - see above.
      • Set aside motivational aids. I won't have time to feel sorry for myself if I run bad or to take a day off trying to get myself back into the mood to play. Motivational aids are a great way to push you back towards the right mindset when something kicks you out of it - things like videos, graphs, quotes, stories by successful people. I have my own little stockpile of these.
      • Ensure that I start off on the right foot. Sleep well the night before and be fully rested and ready to go.

Lastly, obligatory graph (ytd):

• 42 replies
    • murzius
      murzius
      Gold
      nice graph good run
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Ty :)

I forgot to mention in my post that i'm running a little competition and giving away a sunday million seat to the winner. All you gotta do is guess how many hands i'll finish the week at.

I'm asking people to like & post their guess on my facebook page b/c it's the best way I can think to limit it to 1 entry per person.

It ends when I post my first update on my blog (probably about 12hrs from now) so you gotta be quick if you want a chance!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey GLR,

Good to see you (kinda) taking part here in our November Marathon! I've just liked your facebook page as well :f_love:

EDIT: Found the answer, the guessing game is for hands played throughtout the challenge :)

Regards,
      Gary.
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Haha cool! And glad to be here :)

Yes I should have been more clear - you have to guess the total number of hands that i will play during the challenge.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      just to confirm you play 2/4+ and regular tables (not zoom) , and how many tables do you play on average?
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Yes I play 2/4+ and almost all regular tables. If 2/5 or 5/10 Zoom pools get up I might play them but that's pretty rare. I'm not sure what my average is. I'll play anything up to 15-18 max but it's usually more like 8-12. During off peak hours though i'll drop to 1-3 if there's nothing running.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GodlikeRoy
      Yes I play 2/4+ and almost all regular tables. If 2/5 or 5/10 Zoom pools get up I might play them but that's pretty rare. I'm not sure what my average is. I'll play anything up to 15-18 max but it's usually more like 8-12. During off peak hours though i'll drop to 1-3 if there's nothing running.
      liked and guessed!
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      Wow looks sick... I get tired if i have 4 hours of PLO a day, can't even think about playing 15 .

If you are feeling tired and not playing your a-game, check out the zoom 100 tables so i can stack you once hahaha. That would look good on my resume :D :D .

Gl gl!

Regards,

Skod
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Good luck Roy!

May you run like god :P
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Haha thanks!

Skod - how about I tell you when i'm tired and you take some shots at 2/4!

----------------------------------------------------

So, it's 1:40 AM now (I started the challenge at ~12:20 PM). I'm going to get some sleep then continue in the morning. Once the first 24 hours are up I will work on my report with # of hands and a graph and when I post that will be when the competition is closed.

Have been really happy with my play so far! Here are some stats:

• Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GodlikeRoy

Skod - how about I tell you when i'm tired and you take some shots at 2/4!

Maybe November next year :) . Running hot i see :D . It'd be nice if you posted an interesting hand or 2... Will definetly follow the thread to see how it goes.

Gl gl

Skod
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Alright i'll mark some interesting hands and post them along the way :)
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      GodlikeRoy is really determined to win some free coaching :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Day 1 of my challenge is over and I couldn’t be happier with the results. Things were looking iffy a few hours in but fortunately I found my invincibility cloak right around hand #3600 and haven’t looked back. I only managed to get 5 hours of sleep but that was because of an unusual tournament schedule that included the ANZOPS ME at 7PM, the Team Online Freeroll at 5AM and the Red Spade Open at 7AM. Since I went deepish in the ANZOPS (finished 17th for $558), I didn’t get to bed til quite late. All in all though i’m feeling fantastic. My diet has been good, I have been exercising/stretching and am not physically or mentally drained in the slightest. A good start for sure but the later days in the week are when things will get tough.

I’ve also managed not to drink any coffee. I decided that I would only rely on caffeine (outside of the meager quantity obtained from green tea) if and when I needed the pick-me-up. So far so good.

Hours played today: 16.6
      Hands played: 9,542
      Money won/lost: +$4,086.82
      EV Adjusted: +$5,095.73
      bb/100: 11.0
      EVbb/100: 12.6
      How I rate my level of play: 7.5/10
      How I rate my focus: 6/10
      How well I thought I ran: 7/10
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Roy

Good work! Great to,have your blog here!

How about top 3 tips for a no limit guy moving to PLO? If we play 400nl and can't take plo25 serious is it ok to start higher and re the regs weak like no limit or would it be a slaughterhouse?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      ..... a slaughterhouse?

Made me shiggle!

Pleno playing PLOmaha would be ZOMG!
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Day 2 brings some realism into the challenge as I post a small loss for the day.

My first session was a continuance of the last session of day 1. Things were going swimmingly and I was both playing great and running well.

Then things took a massive turn for the worse with the biggest culprit being my focus. My number of tables was steadily dropping as it moved from peak to off-peak hours and so too dropped my attention. You’d think that with fewer tables one would pay more attention and play better but sometimes that’s not the case. My mind probably went something like this: “okay you’re only playing 2-5 tables now, you only need to spend 20-30% of your energy focusing on the tables and the rest can be spent elsewhere. So I let myself get distracted with forums and TV shows and what have you and, well, you can see the results. Obviously variance wasn’t kind to me either but I truly did play awful during that period and my losses shouldn’t have been anywhere near that significant.

I took a break and had some dinner, deciding to cook up one of my frozen steaks before hitting the tables again for another short session. The steak was great but it was heavy and had me feeling a bit slow and sluggish with my thought process. Not the ideal food choice, but steak is so damn tempting when you’re craving it!

My post dinner session was a lot more volatile being mostly 5/10 PLO. I was once again only playing a handful of tables but I definitely felt that I was playing better than earlier. Despite only getting in about 600 hands it was still ~2 hours worth of play.

The tables were dwindling and I was getting really sleepy so at a relatively early 11 PM I hit the hay. After about 7 hours sleep I woke up feeling exhausted. I can’t pinpoint exactly why but I bet one of the factors was the heavy dinner only a couple of hours before I slept. Today was definitely going to be a coffee day.

Coffee in hand I sat down for what was hopefully going to be a good, lengthy session of poker. And that’s exactly what it was. Part of my warm up was dedicated to focus and that help me stay in the zone for the majority of the session. My results weren’t spectacular but the important part is that I played well – and the results were good enough, anyway.

Time for another break as I head to my physio appointment. I feel great going into day 3.

Hours played today: 12.7
      Hands played: 6,458
      Money won/lost: -$912.25
      EV Adjusted: -$630.03
      bb/100: -0.44
      EVbb/100: -0.11
      VPPs: 6,368
      VPPs/hand: 0.99
      How I rate my level of play: 4.5/10
      How I rate my focus: 3/10
      How well I thought I ran: 3.5/10
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey Roy

Good work! Great to,have your blog here!

How about top 3 tips for a no limit guy moving to PLO? If we play 400nl and can't take plo25 serious is it ok to start higher and re the regs weak like no limit or would it be a slaughterhouse?
      Thanks! Great to be here again :)

The regs aren't "weak", but I would say that the game is so unsolved that there are lots of winning styles which means there are lots of holes in everyone's game that can be exploited.

I do think if you jump into the 400PLO games without experience it'll more or less be a slaughter house. Albeit a slow one since the variance is so high and you could potentially win for a long time being a losing player - but you'd almost certainly be a losing player.

I'd say jump into 100PLO and see if you can take that seriously and if you can't, at least stick to 200PLO at the most until you have some experience under your belt.

Top 3 tips hmm.

1. Play very tight from early position / the small blind.
      2. Don't overplay aces, but in doing so don't underplay them either (gee, thanks Roy)
      3. Fight for the small/uncontested pots. New players often think "it's omaha, a game of the nuts, someone has to have something all the time" but that's often not the case. You can pad your win rate enormously by picking up those few bb pots here and there.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Nice to have you back. :)

Can you give little more details about your warmup and cooldown processes?

When people are monitoring their game level, they often fall in to the trap where they think that if they lose it's because of their bad play. So they try to find the reason for that and they blame themselves, TV or other distractions. But the main focus is that they must have played poorly as they suddenly had a losing session after all those winning sessions. How do you deal with this? As you mentioned that you played poorly and used only a portion of your resources, did you go through the hands in that session and spotted mistakes? If so, can you tell what kind of mistakes you spotted?