This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

M - Factor Article Question

• bgxyz
      bgxyz
      Bronze
      Help! Would someone reply within a few hours?

In the PS article on "M-Factor According to Dan Harrington" the author says that when M is falling into the 10 to 20 range, "... using 3-bets in small and mid sized MTTs, you can make steals very profitable. You can even 3-bet all-in from a blind position as a steal-raise."

Okay, but what is a mid-sized MTT? Tomorrow I enter a live MTT with a buy-in of $1675 Canadian for 20,000 chips, 900 players, three days. Some fish, Some good, only a few pros. So is this an MTT where steals are profitable especially when M is getting low? Or is it too big. Why would a big MTT make steals less profitable?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
  • 2 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Not sure what the article is refering to exactly.
      A normal restealing stack would be between ~15 and ~25 Big Blinds which is a M of ~6 to ~10 in most tournaments.

I wouldn't play a resteal with more than that - at least not as an allin.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      The only reason I could think of is that in a large MTT, you could find yourself in that position with opponents that have very high Ms thus reducing the impact of your fold equity.

I can't recall Harrington actually making any distinction between tournament sizes or your opponents Ms having an effect on your decision.

A bit confused myself

Laz