when should I invest in a HUD?

• valuemoney
      valuemoney
      Basic
      So far been doing ok without it. Upped my BR from initial $50 to $150 in a few weeks. Moved up to 10nl a few days ago, but I'm definitely struggling/running bad at this level X( . Will having a HUD make all the difference here or should I wait until I move up again?

Btw-Did the free trial for iHoldemIndicator (Mac) and was pretty impressed, so I'd probably go with that unless someone has a better recommendation. I'm a US player playing at Bovada. Thanks!
  • 13 replies
    • gretemikaite
      gretemikaite
      Bronze
      Check Pokertracker and Holdem manager. They have free trials also, but dont know about working with Apple. You can beat Nl10 without hud, but with it is easier.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey valuemoney,

As you move through the limits, you''ll find that you are playing against less fish and more regs. If you notice at NL10 that you keep coming up against the same players, then it is probably time to invest in a HUD.

There isn't a great deal of choice for Mac users. HM2 have been making noises about a Mac version for about 4 years but nothing much has happened.

You're best options are PokerTracker4 and Poker Co-Pilot. Ofc if you are already impressed with iHoldem Indicator, then that may be the way to go.

There is also the option of setting up a Windows partition through BootCamp.

Good Luck

Laz
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      And it's not just the HUD. With tracker you can make session/hand reviews much more easier.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone!
    • valuemoney
      valuemoney
      Basic
      Thanks. Unfortunately PokerTracker4 and Poker Co-Pilot do not support Bovada. Another drawback of Bovada is there are no usernames so you can't track/follow the fish, meaning my HUD would reset fresh at every table.

Maybe it's time I switch sites...Any better options for US players that are supported by PokerTracker 4?
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey valuemoney,

Being from the US, you would then be restricted to rooms from Merge, Revolution or WPN (Winning Poker Network).

All these networks are supported in PokerTracker 4 (Windows), so it would depend on how similar the Mac version is.

We have a dedicated thread for PokerTracker4 that is monitored by a PokerTracker rep who is very quick at responding.

You can find it here.

Hope this helps

Laz
    • valuemoney
      valuemoney
      Basic
      Appreciate the help. Think I'm going to deposit on Carbon Poker and do the free trial for PokerTracker4. Seems like the best option.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      No worries. Sounds like pretty good choices.

Happy Grinding :)

Laz
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      There are a lot of things that you will notice about your opponents likely plays without a HUD and I think not using the HUD will force you to be good at note taking however as you can use the HUDs to hold your notes and keep track of a huge number of stats they are well worth investing in.

Many of the vids on here discuss how to use the stats too so you will get double out of it in that you will have a really solid read using them and the vids here explain the benefits and pit falls of particular stats.

I would say that in the early stages use the stats with care because stats like 3b percentage are not reliable until you have a decent number of hands recorded vs particular villain it is often recommended here that you want about 2000 hands on a villain to start getting reliability.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for the solid advice ITT! :)
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      I think HUD's aren't necessary until 25NL+. People from 2NL - 10NL (16NL at Pokerstars included) all play very similar, and its quite easy to make solid reads without needing to refer to numbers which can often confuse people into make the wrong decisions.

Using tracking software is never a bad idea, as it gives you a way to study your game, although you will improve as a player simply by thinking heavily in certain spots.

Edited by HollyMichelle
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I've almost always played with a HUD tbh. But I notice very often that I don't use it. If you don't play to many tables you can keep an eye on all the players and you don't really need a HUD.

If you are playing a fast fold type of poker I think you can't go without because you always have other players on your table. If you are still playing nl10 I don't think you really need a HUD.

On the other hand you don't only have a HUD. You also have a tracking software which makes it easier for you to review your sessions. So you are buying more then just a HUD.

tl;dr: You don't really need a HUD when playing not to many tables, but it does have its merits.

Regards

RasTweet
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      IMO the best time to invest in a HUD is when you start taking poker seriously.