96 minutes

• DonkeyWiThEdge
      DonkeyWiThEdge
      Bronze
      [B]Hey guys, [/B]

After playing poker for roughly 3 years on a very casual basis I decided to take it more seriously. This is where my blog comes in as well as those ‘96 minutes’.
      The main idea is that I will from now on dedicate those 96 minutes every day to poker. Which means playing poker as well as learning and analysing poker.
      The things that I want to talk about in this blog are as follows:

1) How can you help me become more successful?
      2) What is the benefit of helping me?
      3) What are my motivations and my goals?
      4) Personal things

1) How can you help me become more successful?

I am not quite sure about how I to spend those 96 minutes most efficiently yet but this is where you come in. Since I have only had very moderate success with poker so far I want you to advise and coach me dear Pokerstrategy members! What is it that made you more successful than me? What do I have to do to become a better and more successful poker player? I am interested in all those videos, articles, blogs or books that you read that really improved your game and gave you an edge over other players.
      Because let’s face it PS is a very good resource but often I feel like I am drowned in information. The website is packed with hundreds of hours of video material as well as pages over pages of articles but I don’t have the time to go through all of these plus I have the impression a lot of those are outdated and useless anyway.

This is the reason why I want to make myself a community project.
      So I ask you for your help! Please share the methods and things that you did that brought you to where you are right now. Also what kind of mistakes did you do along the way? What should people like me try to avoid?
      So every tips that brings me closer to my goal is very much appreciated!

2) Well what is the benefit from helping me?

I decided to donate some money every time you guys help me move up a limit. I will be starting on NL10 and everytime I move up a limit I will donate 10% of the money that I made on the the previous’ limit to charity.
      As soon as I actually move up the readers of this blog can decide where the money should go.
      Also I think this could be a very handy resource for other players that are in a similar position as me.

3) What are my motivations and why do I believe that I will succeed?
      The reasons for playing poker for me at the moment are that I want to prove to myself that I can beat the game. I want to show myself that I have what it takes to be successful at it. My whole life I have been doing competitive sports such as soccer volleyball as well as chess and I simply enjoy the challenge playing against other people and being better than them.
      The aspect of poker that I especially like is that a lot of the attributes that you need to succeed are very useful in other areas of life as well. For instance discipline, being emotionally controlled analytical skills and so on.
      My goal is it to make the best out of those 96 minutes that I allow myself to spend on poker everyday. Long term I want to be able to beat NL200. I am not sure how long it will take to actually reach that goal but I am convinced that I will eventually get there.
      Also I want to be financially independent.
      The reason why I believe I will reach this goal is because I am hard working as well as a quick study.

4) Personal shit

I am 20 years old and I recently moved to the Netherlands to study Economics in Rotterdam. After moving here in August it took me a while to settle in but I have to admit that it is actually a really nice place to study. My University and the course that I am doing are both very well organised and so far I enjoyed most of it.
      Rotterdam as a city might not be that exciting, especially the night life imo but I have already met so many awesome people here that that does not really matter.

The time that I don’t spent on Uni things I like playing League of Legends which is a good way to keep in touch with a lot of my friends from back home because most of them play it. (I am pretty shit at it though haha).
      I also try to read as much as possible to educate myself a bit more. The last book I read was “Thinking, fast and slow” which was very interesting imo. So if you guys have any good books in mind that you believe are worth reading let me know! :)
      I also started playing the guitar about 2.5 years ago and I still spent a fair amount of time on it so I am always keen to find new good songs that I can learn.

I am more than open for people that want to share thoughts or improve their game together.
      In case that there is anyone here interested to coach me against % of my winnings I am also very interested in that so let me please know!

In case I actually get any readers I would like to thank you guys in advance for your input.
      I will probably update the blog tomorrow after spending the first 96 minutes and see how it goes.
      I will probably read an article and play some NL10 Zoom.

I am very interested on how the challenge of dedicating 96 minutes to poker every day will work out and where it is going to take me.

Also apologies for any English mistakes I made, it is not my first language...'
  • 17 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      First, welcome to blogs!

Good introduction and go on, I'll bite, why 96 minutes specifically? Is that your maximum concentration limit perhaps?

It all sounds very interesting anyway, so I wish you good fortune at it. I have no doubt you'll get many interested readers. :)

Unfortunately, if I were to provide my poker experiences and what I did well and what mistakes I made, I would need another blog just for that! :f_frown:

Oh and your English is really excellent, so don't be worrying about that.

You have fun,

Mal.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey DonkeyWiThEdge,

Love your username
      Love your blog title
      Love your innovation (donating 10% of previous winnings when moving up)
      And love your English (A+)

Following for sure

Laz
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      Cool start to the blog! I think and this really helped me as you are a silver member there is now a 'watch the best videos for silver' tab I know this sounds REALLY obvious but those videos are great (MBML pre-flop play was a particular favourite). I also think that learning how to do the basic implied odds pot odds calculations as well as being able to work out your probable equity in certain more common spots is a very good idea.
    • DonkeyWiThEdge
      DonkeyWiThEdge
      Bronze
      First of all thank you for your positive feedback. I did my first 96 minutes yesterday and I have to say that it could have gone better. I am breakeven after 1k hand NL10 which wouldn’t be a problem but I really did not feel very comfortable playing. I know I made way too many mistakes and that I was to spewy.
      Also I watched Bogdans new video yesterday which was alright but I felt like I knew a lot of the topics covered already. Today I will try to spend a fair amount of the 96 minutes on reading through the basics again to get back into the poker way of thinking.
      I will also post some hands and questions later on today.

Benm473 I just had a quick look but I could not find the videos that you were talking about. Can you please post a link?

And Mal I want that blog! :) Also what limit and game type are you playing?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Good luck with your quest DonkeyWithEdge!
    • DonkeyWiThEdge
      DonkeyWiThEdge
      Bronze
      Hey guys so a quick update.

Today I watched 2 of Schnitzelfisch's videos which were very helpful but mainly for non poker related things.

After that I played poker for a bit which went much better than yesterday. I believe it might be due to better concentration because today I played straight after getting up. In general I have noticed that it makes a huge difference if I am in the 'zone' or not. Do you guys know any tips or videos which help you get in the 'zone'?

Also I though instead of posting hands today I will post my graph since I did not have very exciting hands. (Also who knows how much longer it will keep it's positive y-values)

Now it is time for some Uni work and after that I will watch the Chamiponsleague. Who do you guys reckon is going to win in the games:

Arsenal - Dortmund
      Barca - Milan

Maybe if I still feel like it I will go through some hands from the forum.
      Also who has some suggestions on what I should focus tomorrow? Theory wise.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Those Schnitzelfisch videos are really great for mind set things aren't they and we like upward graphs, always nice to see. :)

As for the games, I sort of support Arsenal and Milan, but they have tough game there that's for sure. I find it hard to see Barca losing.

We'll see, I'll enjoy those two games, that's for sure!
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      Barca should win that game against Milan. The reason being that if Ajax win their game against Celtic tonight, there may even be some hope for us (Ajax) reaching the knockout stage of the CL. That would be epic!

Either way, there should be some good games tonight :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Dortmund v Arsenal
      Barca v Milan

Bolded my predictions to win :)

I also fancy Celtic to get a draw in Amsterdam.
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      I also fancy Celtic to lose in Amsterdam.
      FYP
    • DonkeyWiThEdge
      DonkeyWiThEdge
      Bronze
      Haha yeah I agree on those predictions even though Arsenal is really strong at the moment as well I still think Dortmund is going to win.
      I guess the Ajax game is gonna be a very close one especially considering how shit Ajax played lately...
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      Unfortunately I cannot deny that yes, Ajax has been crap the last few matches :facepalm:

Still, I have faith they can pull it off!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      I was right on all three until the 2nd half started!
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by DonkeyWiThEdge

After that I played poker for a bit which went much better than yesterday. I believe it might be due to better concentration because today I played straight after getting up. In general I have noticed that it makes a huge difference if I am in the 'zone' or not. Do you guys know any tips or videos which help you get in the 'zone'?

Check out GodlikeRoy's views on preparing for a session.

Cheers

Laz
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Damn those Gooners!
    • DonkeyWiThEdge
      DonkeyWiThEdge
      Bronze
      haha yeah fuck that . :(
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER