Tournament strategy when blinds are medium

• ronaldo2276
      ronaldo2276
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I have been playing some poker for a while and read all the strategy articles on this site regarding tournaments.
      The other day I was on the final table 7 ppl left and I was avg- stack of 22 BBs.
      A player with the same stack more or less was betting from early position 8 BBs. (in numbers 1080 on BB of 160)
      I was in late position and had QQ, I shoved all in when and he called ofcourse.
      Well he had AQ and the flop was a very low card and no draw flop.
      And of course the A rivered me..

Well the chart and logic sais that in these tournament stages u r supposed to shove it allin and call allin with this and that cards according to the charts on the articles.

Well what I am thinking is that if I would have just called that guy and post flop go allin I might have a chance that he would fold as he would have still be in a survival state (16 BBs)

Would love to know what you think about it.

Thanks,
      J :)
  • 3 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ronaldo2276
      Hi,
      I have been playing some poker for a while and read all the strategy articles on this site regarding tournaments.
      The other day I was on the final table 7 ppl left and I was avg- stack of 22 BBs.
      A player with the same stack more or less was betting from early position 8 BBs. (in numbers 1080 on BB of 160)
      I was in late position and had QQ, I shoved all in when and he called ofcourse.
      Well he had AQ and the flop was a very low card and no draw flop.
      And of course the A rivered me..

Well the chart and logic sais that in these tournament stages u r supposed to shove it allin and call allin with this and that cards according to the charts on the articles.

Well what I am thinking is that if I would have just called that guy and post flop go allin I might have a chance that he would fold as he would have still be in a survival state (16 BBs)

Would love to know what you think about it.

Thanks,
      J :)
      Hello ronaldo2276,

In poker it is very important not to think so result orientated. When you went all-in with QQ vs AQ you were 70% favourite against his hand. This is an ideal situation - and even though you ended up losing - your shove was completely ok. If you simply call - there is always the chance of overcards hitting the flop (King or Ace) - and you perhaps folding the best hand.

You managed to have him commit his entire stack with a worse hand. This is essentially what you want. If you call for half your stack you are essentially committed to the pot anyway and will go broke against AA or KK on a low board anyway. All other hands you are ahead against - so you don't want to give them the chance to fold/hit on the flop :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • anti5ive
      anti5ive
      Bronze
      cant agree more soy, ronaldo you will win more than you lose in those situations, you have to remember that when you put your money in,if you are ahead you have done no wrong.
    • slickdigital
      slickdigital
      Bronze
      I also agree with soy.. you made the right play and got the right call ( although he hit the river!!!)

However just to add one other point.. alot depends on your confidence if you are going through one of those cant win a race for love or money a wise man once said let them see 3 cards not 5..

While you are leaving your self open to overcards on the flop.. in this case the flop was good for you, and you had the chance to take down the pot on the flop ( as they missed completly) now this only works if you have an understanding of your oppents mentality and views on poker also in this case his stack to pot ratio may not of ...but I have found that when im running cold adopting this 3 cards not 5 has helped me...

I must stress that your play was correct, and you did nothing wrong, however as we all know premium starting hands have an uncanny habit of coming undone in races online ))