Hope I can improve my game :)

• ferrari1f
      ferrari1f
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

My name is "ferrari1f" and I recently joined this community. To give you a short introduction about myself, I have been playing for 2 years now. My first year playing poker was mainly free-rolling in some live events, but I also played online a bit.

This year I decided that I wanted to improve my game drastically and take poker a bit more serious so I started to work hard. My first year - obviously - I had no clue what I was doing online and in fact I was just burning money. I had no real idea about volume, bankroll management and the other really basic stuff needed to play online poker. But that is really a long way behind now, since I have been working on my game almost every single day (3 hours a day on average). This includes also my time away from the tables.

What is my progress so far? Well, as I said, the first 2 or 3 months this year, I took my time to study the game and get familiar with all the basics. When I felt I was ready to give online a new go, I decided to deposit for the last time and play online. I started off with SNGs, grinded 100 $ playing SNGs and I switched to cash games. I started to play 2 NL, and I could see that I was crushing there, beating these stakes at 14 bbs / 100 hands over 38 000 hands. I was quite happy so I decided to move up to 5 NL. This was not as easy as I expected, because I was waaay to loose here and I was really spewing money. So I had to work on my game again, move back to 2 NL, grind my way back up (at this point I am really aware about BRM of course) to 5 NL and still today I am playing 5 NL. I played more than 130 000 hands so far, but still my winrate isn't that great (only 2.5 bbs / 100).

After all those hands, I was properly enrolled for 10 NL so I decided to give it a shot, but I lost quite a lot there because of partially playing bad, but also running very bad. So back to 5 NL ;) .

Therefore, 2 weeks ago, I decided to buy LeakBuster for HM2 and I had a look at my game and my leaks. That helped me a lot. Last 27 000 hands I am beating 5 NL at a 6.07 bbs / 100 rate. This is much better, but still, I am not satisfied. I really expect myself to beat 5 NL at 8 - 10 bbs. Maybe this is a bit unrealistic, I don't know, but I really think it should be possible and that I still have some leaks in my game.

To conclude my whole story, I really would like to improve my game (and my winrate) and move up to 10 NL. One of my ultimate goals would be to grind 50 NL and 100 NL and maybe even 200 NL, but that is a long way ahead.

Hope this is more or less what people expect to read in the "Introduce myself" topic !

Cheers guys
  • 4 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey ferrari1f!

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com

Wow, what an intro! Very detailed, that is what we like around here. Congratulations on your progression so far. It is a testament to your hard work and dedication that you have made it from NL2-NL5, alot of beginning players do not make it!

I don't play cash games myself but I don't think 8-10 BB/100 is that unrealistic at NL5. So, maybe you can indeed improve on this.

Where do you play your poker?

To get the most of out of PokerStrategy.com you will definitely need to move up the status! At the moment, you are a basic member. There is a small amount of educational material available to you.

For example there are over 400 free videos available to you!

However, as your status grows, so does the level of our education :)

You can earn StrategyPoints in 2 different ways, playing at a tracked poker room or by buying a desired status.

Also, I would highly recommend that you take a look at our beginners' course which is aimed at NL Cash game players like you. We've had many success stories here and I know that you have what it takes to join our growing list of succesful micro stakes crushers!

Hopefully, you have found this post useful and if you require anything further, please do not hesitate to reply.

Best regards,
      Gary.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      hey ferrari1f,

Excellent introductory post. Just like you're username, I hope you are on a fast track to poker riches

Good luck

Laz
    • ferrari1f
      ferrari1f
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome, I really appreciate the positive reactions and the advice given here already.

I will have a look at those subscriptions. I am willing to invest to improve my game just because my motivation is so high these last weeks. I will first take my time to browse a bit on the forums and I will look from there. There is plenty of information already in the different topics so it might not be a bad idea to start from there.

To answer your question, I do play on PokerStars only. I really like the software and the client and from what I know, the overall skill there is quite high. I do think that it is not a bad idea to try to move up to 10NL and even 25 NL at PokerStars, just because overall skill level is so high - if you are looking to improve your game.

Last but not least, I will start with this beginners' course tomorrow.

Many thanks for all the advice given so far!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      No worries and hope to see you around our forum!

Don't forget to take a look at our hand evaluation boards, take a look at other members hands and see if you are making similar great plays or mistakes :)