3 bet pots

• ferrari1f
      ferrari1f
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I am using HM2 and I would like to have some advice how I can use HM2 to analyse my game a bit more especially in 3 bet pots.

2 weeks ago, I found out that I was really calling way to many 3 bets out of position which means that I was losing a lot of money there, because I was basically always playing fit or fold on the flop. I was aware that calling 3 bets out of position is not a good idea, but I had no clue that I was doing it that often.

So what did I change - just 4 bet or fold. But.... I have really problems in some situations where my hand is just a bit too good to fold, but not good enough to 4 bet (4 bet jam or planning to call a 5 bet jam).

Let's analyse this a bit in more detail.

What is my range for 4 betting? This is basically QQ+ and AKs (and I am not even sure if I 4 bet AKs, I think I just flat more often than not, which results in fit/fold on the flop...) However, let's say that I am OOP and I have QQ, I get 3 bet. My hand is just too strong to fold obviously, but I don't like the fact that I have to 4 bet and fold to a 5 bet jam - so basically, if I 4 bet, I am playing for 100 bbs. And more often than not I am just dominated or flipping against AK, which is obviously very bad to get my money in with QQ against that range. And really, the more I think about this, the more confused I get, because QQ is nowhere different from JJ and TT in this situation. So what do we do with QQ - JJ and sometimes TT ? 3-betting those hands is not a big mistake is it? How do we handle 4 bets ? Obviously, AA and KK is just so easy to get the money in. If we get the money in with KK < AA, it's most of the times just a cooler. But with QQ we are just dominated so often...

By the way, I play short-handed 6 MAX ;) .

Hope we can discuss this here ! Thanks and cheers !
  • 10 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, ferrari1f
      There is a series of strategy articles that has this information in it.

That's the good news.
      The bad news is that in order to read it, you'll need higher status.

The articles are structured for each position, for example in MP, it has a suggested Open-Raising range, suggested call, 3Bet/Fold & 3Bet/5Bet vs UTG, and for each later position suggestion for Call 3Bet, 4Bet/Fold and 4Bet/Jam ranges.

You'll need to adjust for player type of course.

Until you have the status, you might consider downloading Equilab and playing with trying various hands vs the open-raising ranges in there.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      I would suggest to consider what hands to add in your 4bet bluffing range. Of course all depends on your opponent. if he has wide 3 bet range you may consider fire a 4bet bluff with some blocker hands like A8s or K9s. So vs players, who can fold vs your 4bet enough you can have so called polarized 4betting range. Basically you can 4 bet bluff with some hands that are to bad to call and of course with your value hands.

To make correct decisions we need of course a lot of practice.

I would suggest you to post some hands you have troubles with into HE board so you can get very good answers from our judges. You can post your hands here. As you are basic member you can post hands for NL10 or lower limits.

As Vorpal said there is really a lot of learning material for user with higher status. So I hope you will take advantage of everything we offer soon :D .

Good luck at the tables and see you around.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      yeah, calling oop is tough but if you can do it correctly it's often the best option with your good-but-not-amazing hands, specially if villain has a polarized range. :P
      must be said though that it often involves calling at least one bet with hands like second pair and overcards, and it also often gets ugly. :f_biggrin:

so nothing really wrong with taking the 4b/fold approach. things to note: player positions, how wide villain is 3betting, how he is reacting to 4bets. i would write more, but i just feel lazy so i'm just going to finish with "then adjust accordingly". :f_biggrin:
      ie TT might be a 4bet/call against some, and be wary for people who call a lot of 4bets, might just lose you more money if they don't like folding and you still fit or fold on the flop. :f_biggrin: also in that case your 4b range should be more depolarized (high card heavy).
    • ferrari1f
      ferrari1f
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot.

I have a question about those articles and strategy points. I do play on Pokerstars and I already have an account obviously. Can I link my pokerstars account to PokerStrategy.com so that I can earn strategy points here based on my VPPs on pokerstars?

I was browsing and I found this:

StrategyPoints: 3 VPP = 1 StrategyPoint

I did click on my login-name on the top of the web site and I entered my pokerstars name on that page. Is that sufficient? Would this mean that, once my account is linked, I earn strategy points every month based on the amount of VPPs ?

Many thanks !
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      nope, the pokerstars account had to be tracked when you made it. after that it's pretty much impossible to "retrack". :f_biggrin:

you'd have to get a new account (and track it at the time of creation) in some other random poker room supported by pokerstrategy, there must be instructions or something here, i guess.
      or you can also buy points which is whatever, once you get silver i think that you will be at least bronze forever so it should be worth it i guess.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      What about our free poker money offer. You can try also other rooms without any risk for you. There are also great rakeback deals 10k$ depositors freerolls and other promotions we cannot find at PokerStars.

Don't get me wrong. I perfectly know how good PokerStars is and you cannot find such a great software anywhere else :f_cool: . However, when you receive your first Strategy Point you will become Bronze and that is a good start i guess. Since you are still microstakes player(sorry if i am wrong) you will find many interesting content for users with Bronze status. It is also very easy to become Silver and Gold. Then for Platinum and Diamond things are getting a bit complicated :f_cool: :f_cool:
    • ferrari1f
      ferrari1f
      Bronze
      I will go for this free money offer indeed. The first strategy point would be an excellent start.

You also mentioned that it is very easy to become silver and even gold. How is that? I need to be playing on another site than PokerStars to achieve Strategy points or am I wrong? :P
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      yes you have to play where you're tracked
    • ferrari1f
      ferrari1f
      Bronze
      Ok many thanks.

I know what to do :f_cool:
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      You also mentioned that it is very easy to become silver and even gold. How is that? I need to be playing on another site than PokerStars to achieve Strategy points or am I wrong?
      No, you are absolutely correct! As mentioned earlier, your PokerStars account is not tracked. Therefore you have to play elsewhere in order to earn StrategyPoints. By taking up on the free poker money offer you will automatically have a tracked account (if you follow the download guide closely).

Also, it's not that difficult to get Silver or Gold status indeed, especially with the 10 Bonus Points you get every day you earn 1 StrategyPoint or more. In addition, we have the Level Up bonus running this month, which can help you reach your target faster: Level Up Your Status in November!

You can learn more about our entire status system here: Status & Points system

Hopefully that helps! And hopefully we'll be seeing you with a higher status soon :)

Good luck!

Kind regards,
      Tino