Advice on MTT while doing something else

• lkdr9494
      lkdr9494
      Bronze
      Hello lads, lately I haven't had time to play poker since I started studying software engineering and it pretty much takes most of my time. I've been playing on cash tables quite profitably but now I have no time at all to do so. Which brings the question on my subject.

Would it be profitable to play a single MTT while I study?

This means I'd focus on studying and only play when it's my turn (therefore not getting any reads, only the ones pokertracker provides).

I'd probably play like this early on and focus more on the table as tournament advances.

I believe it's not quite a good idea to play poker like this but I wanted to ask for advice anyway, if anyone does it and works good for them. I know we all work in different ways, but nevertheless I'd like some opinions since MTTs are not really my game and playing a single cash table doesn't seem right for me (don't know why).

I'm just confused and need some brainstorming to find the right path.

Thanks for your help.
  • 4 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hello lkdr9494. First i wish you all good luck at your studying. I hope you will create many great apps.

Regarding your question i have to say i have a friend who does the same and i also did it many years ago :f_biggrin: . I won't tell you what to do but just my personal experience. So i tried to study (i work in the same profession as you do) and realized that i cannot do both things on a high level. Obv poker was way more interesting than book so it was really difficult to concentrate on that subject in the book. I think i haven't played those tourneys so badly but studying went pretty bad for sure :f_biggrin: .

I think it is better to study hard and then reward yourself with nice tourney than playing it while studying.

As said this is my personal opinion. I hope it will work better for you than it was for me.

Good luck.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      I agree 100% with Alan, it is nearly impossible to focus on two things at the same time. I would focus on my study and if I have done well then I would reward myself some MTT time!

Best regards,
      Gary
    • lkdr9494
      lkdr9494
      Bronze
      Yeah that was quite the answer I was expecting. Thaks for clearing it out :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      No worries, glad to assist :)