$25 -> $10,000 in 6 months?

• klimbo
      Nothing you guys haven't seen before, but here it is.. my first poker blog and my first poker challenge!

Here is the just of it. William Hill offered me $25 free since I haven't played on their site for over 6 months so I thought I do something creative with it. Basically I will stick to playing cash games mostly HU and occasionally FR and SH. I will start at .25/.50 and move my way up. Obviously I cant really play NL50 with a $25 roll so I did cheat and deposit $100 vowing to take it out as soon as I reach $400. This is obviously cheating but it is what it is, I don't have the time and patience to grind NL4 and NL10.

My plan:
      Play NL50 until roll hits $1k. Then take a shot at NL100, move back down if I lose 200bb.
      Proceed up the stakes when I have 10 buyins for the next level... NL200 at $2k roll and so on. Essentially take a shot and move back if I lose 2 buyins.

Short-term goal is $10k and that does include rakeback. Long-term.. who knows.

One thing I should note is that this is a sort of "side mission" for me. I play poker full time at NL100-400 HU, SH & FR and I plan on continue doing that on daily basis. Therefore, at this stage I will be doing my challenge in the evenings when I am not grinding my regular games.

There is one main reason to attempt this. I am certain I can do it, but what I really want to do is take some "risk free" shots at NL1k. See, I feel that if I take this shot with my regular bankroll there is a decent chance that I will not be having a profitable month and therefore not being able to pay my bills (cliche but true!). Whereas if I play my regular game during the day and take an hour or two in the evenings to in a way "gamble" with my William Hill roll, which I consider a freeroll, I don't think I would feel too bad if I lose most of it at some point. I like this plan given that I don't intend on withdrawing from it any time soon, or depending on it for any part of my personal finances.

Yes I know I am a wuss for not taking a shot with my own roll but you gotta understand that people have different priorities in life and sometimes playing high stakes takes a back seat to having some financial stability. Fortune favours the brave but few ever speak of the devastation of the "brave degenerates" (just came up with that.. probably can be worded better but you know what I mean).

Anyways, got my free $25 on November 4th. Since then 219 hands (running in GOD MODE) at NL50 roll is up to $447 (just withdrew my $100 deposit so its back to $347). At this rate I will be at 10k before the end of the month... but that's obviously just variance.

Let me know if you guys are interested and what sort of updates you like to see!

Good luck at the tables!
  • 5 replies
    • Lazza61
      Hey klimbo,

Welcome to the blogging section.

I think it's a great idea and if you run hot enough, get that free shot at NL1K.

I expect a lot of people will want to know how you get motivated for that evening session after grinding all day for a living.

As a matter of fact, I think that there is a lot about this challenge to keep all sorts of people interested.

Happy Grinding

The very best of luck klimbo!
    • klimbo
      Its actually quite hard to motivate myself to play in the evening after grinding my main game all day. As a result I have cut my daily sessions shorter in order to play more for my challenge.

So far so good. Still running in God mode...

BR up to $1086 in just about 11 days.

I pretty much played anyone who sat down at nl50 hu on ipoker. Played some decent but spewy regs.. I wish I could run this hot at NL400.

Anyways playing NL100 now. Need to win 10BIs to move up... Lets keep rolling!
    • b0gd4n3l
      So most of your volume will be at the HU tables?
    • klimbo
      Yes as long as I am getting action, but I do open some SH and FR tables but I like to play on them only while we are 2-4 handed. When tables fill up I usually leave and try to start a new table unless the table is really soft.

At nl400 its hard to get HU action so when I get there I will probably play more SH games.