Zealc

• Zealc
      Zealc
      Bronze
      Hi there, I'd like to enrol for the beginners course please.

Lesson 1 quiz answers
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

For me personally, it's to have an interesting hobby that can develop and grow that I can make money from.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

I'd say my main weakness at the moment is that I tend towards passive play and can be over cautious. (tight weak?)
      I think that my opponent hand reading skills are quite poor, I find trying to put my opponents on a range really difficult.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Being selective in your hands and being aggressive with them gives you two chances to win. As you're playing better hands, you're less likely to be dominated (KJ v AJ for example on a J72 board) and are more likely to have the best hand at showdown. Being aggressive will mean that you'll get more money in the pot for these hands. Also by betting and raising you can win pots by making other players fold hands that may have drawn on you or even have beat you unimproved.
  • 6 replies
    • Zealc
      Zealc
      Bronze
      Lesson 2 quiz answers

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

I think the starting hand selection is pretty solid and easy to learn. I would loosen my opener hands in late position though, particularly on a tight table and if the SB and BB seemed tight passive.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

how should I have played this?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

46.34%. I think AKo is weaker against pairs as it has almost 60% equity against AJs+,KQs,AKo but only 39.6% against 88+
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Zealc,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first two homeworks.

Playing overly cautious is better than being too aggro/ spewy so that's a start. With the help of this course (and me) we can hopefully shape you up to be a bit less tight.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • Zealc
      Zealc
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Board: 5:diamond: J:spade: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)Players and stacks:UTG: $2.00UTG+1: $2.08MP1: $1.92MP2: $1.00MP3: $3.06CO: (Hero) $2.08BU: $2.00SB: $2.00BB: $1.24Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I would tend towards folding here as although we have implied odds, the button has position on us so we may still not get paid. I would also suspect he raised with a pocket pair (TT-22) so two of our outs could complete a boat if he raised with a set.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Should I push harder?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Zealc

Good job with the 3rd homework.

While we do not get the direct odds to call it is very close which means that we have to rely on some implied odds. Since we have a hidden draw I would say that we can definitely have some implied odds so calling would be fine.
    • Zealc
      Zealc
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)
      Bluff or tilt?

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)

AhTh

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Good job with the homework.

I really like that you have put some solid effort into replying to that AT hand.

Did you find it useful, for your own game?