Badugi - Watch n' learn

• Malendes
      Malendes
      Hi, I wanna try something bit different – a blog about Badugi. I am an 18 years old guy from Scandinavian. I am a big fan of sports, especially soccer, as I have been playing soccer since I was a little kid. Watching all the sport at TV, I stumbled on poker a few years ago. I always have been thinking in numbers, and got my highest grades in math, so I think it was naturally that I found poker funny to watch. After a few months where I followed poker events on and off, I began to play for fun with my friends. I had seen the pros on TV, wiping their ass in 100-dollar bills after eating one fish after another, and I remember thinking ‘how hard can it be?’ Playing with my friends it wasn’t hard, but when I started playing online (play money), I found out that poker is so much more than luck and random play – you actually had to use your mind, before you could beat the good players. This definitely made me even more interested in poker.

Just before I turned 18, I began study poker. First the basics and later at SnG 6man and 180man. I started with a little deposit at Stars. However straight from the beginning I had to face it – I wasn’t even near the level of an average poker player, and I had to go back to the studying.

Back at the tables, I actually began having some nice play. Winning something here, losing something there. I also began to explore the pokerworld – Fixed Limit, Omaha and all kinds of draw games. Especially one game caught my attention, and that was the game called Badugi. Back at Hold’em the glory days were over. I still had a few good sessions, but didn’t level with my bad session. Instead, the money was rolling in when I played Badugi. I guess it is because it is an unknown game, so the level of players isn’t that high. So far, I have had a really nice run at Badugi, almost doubled my BR 10 times, but as the beginner I am, I have tilted most of the money away. :f_frown:

That is why I would like to start a blog about Badugi. I would like to share my journey in the pokerworld, and then a blog, would help me stay focused and more disciplined. I am sure there is many who doesn’t even know the game, but I hope there is someone who is curious, and maybe wanna learn about the game.

Short about Badugi: Badugi is a draw game. Preflop you get four cards, you have three draws and the hand values are similar to Razz (A being the best, 2 second best and King the worst). In Badugi, it is best to have an unsuited hand, so the best Badugi is A234 no suited cards. 4 Cards always beat hands with suited cards, so ex. a TJQK beat A23. You can play Badugi on very few sites, but the only site that I know of, where the Badugi community is a little bit active is on PokerStars where there is a few hundred regular players, I guess. On Pokerstars it is only Fixed Limit at cash games (tournaments also have PL and NL).

I am starting with a BR at 100 dollars at Stars. I begin at the 0.25/0.50$ FL tables – Badugi of cause.
      My goals:
      - Build up my bankroll, to around 500 dollars – then it is time for 0.5/1$ tables.
      - Be active at my blog, post hand, stats and share Badugi with community here.
      - Stay disciplined – I might win more if I play at higher tables, but in the long run I get more out of staying disciplined, and save the high blinds till when I have a BR there can support that.
      - Get more experience, play a few tournaments (both Holdem and Badugi) and have fun with poker.

Badugi might not be the most popular game, and my english might be bad, but I hope there is a few who would like to follow this blog, and might even join me at the tables – the badugi community could need a few more players :f_cool:
  • 24 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Malendes and welcome to the community here!

Badugi I have heard of but have absolutely no clue about how to play, so I'd definitely be one of your fishies! :D

This could be a very interesting blog and may even help the Badugi cause, wouldn't that be nice!

Your English is great by the way, no problems understanding anything at all here.

So, you have fun and make sure to post lots of interesting situations for us please.

Oh and you have one reader in me at least,

Mal.
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Hehe, great to hear :f_biggrin:

I will try post stats, hands and updates often. The only problem is that the HUD I use at the moment doesnt really have hand viewer at Badugi - or it just doesnt work, even through the HUD supports Badugi.
      Does anybody know a user/noobfriendly HUD which support Badugi, and have hand viewer. Currently im using Free Poker DB when I play Badugi.
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Just want to post a hand - I will try to update tomorrow with stats and Graphs :f_cool:

This is a hand I wouldnt play in all situations, but because of the position I had and the players there were left, I played it.
      Bluffing is not that used in Badugi at Stars, probably because it is FL so it can be hard to get people off the hand - so when people bluff it isnt that easy to read, just have to trust your instincts, which isnt that good for me yet :f_p:

PokerStars, $0.25/$0.50 Badugi Limit
      Seat 1: ($5.85 in chips)
      Seat 3: ($5.70 in chips)
      Seat 4: Hero ($5.61 in chips)
      Seat 5: SB ($13.67 in chips)
      Seat 6: BB ($21.35 in chips)
      Seat 7: ($3.80 in chips)
      Seat 8: ($8.64 in chips)

Predraw: Dealt to Hero K:diamond: A:heart: 9:club: 4:spade:
      fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.50, fold, BB calls $0.25
      First draw: BB discards 1 card, Hero stands pat K:diamond: A:heart: 9:club: 4:spade:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.25, BB calls $0.25
      Second draw: BB discards 1 card, Hero stands pat K:diamond: A:heart: 9:club: 4:spade:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.50, BB calls $0.50
      Third draw: BB discards 1 card, Hero stands pat K:diamond: A:heart: 9:club: 4:spade:
      BB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Showdown:
      BB: shows 5:club: 2:heart: 7:club: 3:spade: (3-card: 5,3,2)
      Hero: shows K:diamond: A:heart: 9:club: 4:spade: (Badugi: K,9,4,A)
      Hero collected $3.44 from pot (rake $0.16)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Malendes,

A Badugi blog. Will be following for sure. The traffic will be very fishy as so many don't understand the relative strength of their hands.

Full Tilt is probably the only other site that has any sort of reasonable traffic.

As regards to Badugi tracker and/or HUDs, PokerHands has just been updated I think.

Well worth checking out

Cheers

Laz
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      This would be interesting blog to follow. :)

What you think is the correct BRM to badugi? 100$ at $0.25/$0.50 level sounds a bit aggressive BRM if you compare to more common poker variants.

e. Btw, where in Scandinavia you are from? :)
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      hi malendes. i will be following your blog. good luck.

will you be playing the pot limit badugi micro millions event? if not check it out!

oh and you probably already know this but its only fair to warn you in case you dont. expect a rollercoaster ride of variance at the badugi tables. i think your BRM is very aggressive. 500BB is safe i believe, but thats obv not an option unless you deposit. just be aware you are exposing yourself to a fair risk of ruin.
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Thanks guys :f_grin:

I know the BR might doesnt fit the blinds, specially when it is Badugi - you can easy lose many BB's even though you have played the hands right, so I agree, and there is a chance drawing dead. Have had a few Badugi runs before. One where I played up to $2/$4, pretty much from the start of my dep, as also were 100$ back then. I know that is maybe too aggresive, but handle to top at almost 900$, and then dropping abit before I took some money out.
      In this blog I will try stay abit less aggresive, even though you can be right - 200 BB's isnt that much.

I am from Denmark :f_grin:
      And yes, I will definitely try to join the MicroMillions on Saturday, if I am awake at that time :f_cool:

Here is a hand from yesterday. Had one of my worst sessions yesterday, but this hand is actually from one of my better periods. Didnt played this hand as I should have done, but I guess I have to show bad hands aswell... even though I dont like it :f_frown:

PokerStars, $0.25/$0.50 Badugi Limit
      Seat 1: ($4.31 in chips)
      Seat 2: ($2.25 in chips)
      Seat 3: ($9.12 in chips)
      Seat 4: SB ($10.10 in chips)
      Seat 5: Hero ($14.89 in chips)
      Seat 6: ($15.59 in chips)
      Seat 7: ($3.50 in chips)
      Seat 8: ($10 in chips)

Predraw: Dealt to Hero T:spade: T:diamond: 9:club: 2:spade:
      fold, Seat 7 calls $0.25, Seat 8 calls $0.25, Seat 1 calls $0.25, fold, fold, fold, Hero checks
      First draw: Hero discards 3 cards T:spade: T:diamond: 9:club: , Hand is now 2:spade: 3:heart: A:heart: 6:diamond: , Seat 7 discards 1 card, Seat 8 discards 1 card, Seat 1 discards 2 cards
      Hero checks, Seat 7 checks, Seat 8 checks, Seat 1 bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, Seat 7 calls $0.25, Seat 8 calls $0.25
      Second draw: Hero discards 1 card 3:heart: , Hand is now 2:spade: 4:club: A:heart: 6:diamond: , Seat 7 discards 1 card, Seat 8 discards 1 card, Seat 1 stands pat
      Hero checks, Seat 7 checks, Seat 8 checks, Seat 1 bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1, fold, fold, fold

Uncalled bet ($0.50) returned to Hero
      Hero collected $2.96 from pot (rake $0.14)

I win the hand, but totally forgot my position at the table, and end up scaring everyone off a good hand. I first saw it after I checked. Then I probably should have just called it, so the remaining players maybe had called it too. I re-raise, and shows I have a strong hand – could easy have made a couple dollars more on that hand if I had made the bet, or just check-called it.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Great blog! Hopefully I can learn more about badugi from you :D

All the best!!
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Nice blog, and good goals! It'll be interesting to learn a new game that I have zero familiarity with.

GL!
      Bronze
      fed blog mand. held og lykke. :)

english: cool blog mand good luck.
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      I tried it last night with couple tables. I think I had some clue how to play but it was hard. :D So many draws to watch how villains are playing in single hand.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Thanks to your blog, decided to have a go at .25/.5 and .5/1 for fun. 136 hands +$30.89 :D It's crazy how often they overplay weak badugis.

Yup but variance is really crazy, you can definitely go bust with $100 if i can win $16.82 in 70 hands of .25/.5. I'm also wondering what WR is managable in badugi
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Can you tell what kind of hands are good starting hands by position? I guess everyone with A and at least three different suits? And small cards obv.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Badoooooogi! :f_thumbsup:
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      Originally posted by NutzAreOk
      Can you tell what kind of hands are good starting hands by position? I guess everyone with A and at least three different suits? And small cards obv.
      a tag opening range looks roughly like this:

early - 5tri or smooth 6tri, T badugi
      middle - 6tri or smooth 7tri, J badugi
      CO - 7tri or smooth 8tri, Q badugi
      BU -8tri or 2 wheel, K badugi

tri =3 card badugi
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Thanks guys :s_biggrin:
      And nice results Tommy, kinda overshine mine so far :f_confused:

About playable hands: agree with last post. Personally I like playing a low amount of tables (right now I am playing 2 tables), because there is so many fishs, so even bad hands can be profitable, if you play them right of cause.

In my blog I will of cause give hand, stats and so on from my own play, but I will also try go a bit in depth about Badugi and strategies to use. So things like what is a playable hand, I will try covering in my little section about Badugi :f_grin:

Also the blog got alot more attention then I was aiming for, which of cause is good. Therefore I will do my best to make it even better, and looks like some of you guys are trying it urself, so see ya at the tables :f_cool:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Look what you did, it's a Badugi-fest in here now!

It's great to see you've got a few more readers already, nice one. :s_cool:

Run good but watch that bankroll. :)
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      [COLOR=royalblue][B]BADUGI GUIDE[/COLOR]

Part 1 - The basics[/B]

Introduction: Badugi is an old Asian or more precisely South Korean draw poker game. First a few years ago it breakthrough in the international poker world. With a lot more experience, South Koreans can be a though one to break, but I find them pretty aggressive, so if you pick up a nice predraw hand, you should have a good chance beating the villain with the home advantage.

What is a Badugi?: The word ‘Badugi’ comes from a Korean word, which describe something there is multicolored, just like a Badugi is (unsuited). The goal is to get the lowest possible Badugi (4-card hand), A being the lowest and K the highest and worst card. The cards have to be different, if you want to use them, so a pair or suited cards will not work. Therefore, the best hand possible is A234 unsuited, and the worst hand is KKKK.

Dealing cards: In start of every hand, every player gets 4 cards. All cards face down, so you don’t see any cards beside your own. The only information you will get is if other players stands pat or if they draw, and how many they draw – this is very important information, which you have to use when you gets to the betting rounds. That is also the reason the position is so important. If you are the last one to act, you will have the information about what everyone else did in the round. If all draw 2 cards or more, chances one of them hits a really good hand isn’t that big, but if someone stands pat, and you have a King high Badugi, you might would like to break the Badugi and draw again. There is a BB and a SB. Predraw you can either call, raise or fold. All the players remaining get their first chance to draw, in the first draw. You can draw every card, if you want. There is a total of 3 draws, predraw play, and a betting round after each draw. In the end, there will be a showdown, if more players are still in the hand. The player with the best hand takes the pot.

Hand ranking: Four Badugi (A234 unsuited) will beat every hand, split the pot if more players have a four Badugi, which would be very unlikely. A ten Badugi (ex. T832) will beat any Badugi Jack or higher or worse hands than Badugis (3, 2 or 1 card hands). If it is a ten Badugi vs. another ten Badugi, it is the second highest card, which count. Therefore, T832 would beat a T92A but would lose against T432. If the first two cards have the same value, it is the third card that matters, and so on. Only if two players have the exact same hand (ex. T:heart: 8:spade: 3:club: 2:diamond: against T:spade: 8:club: 3:diamond: 2:heart:) the pot will split. If it is a Badugi (4 cards unsuited) against a Badugi, the second card will only matter if the first cards match, so QJ85 beat K32A even though the 3 cards in the last Badugi is very good.

In the next part I will go more in depth about strategies and how to play hands.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Badugi study group anyone? :D