Dark Skin

• 10 replies
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by sc2zerker
      Just wondering if anyone knows if PT4 will be releasing a dark skin for their product? Not for the aesthetic effect, A dark skin is less straining on the eyes.
      We did a lot of research of the type of interface design our users wanted before the release of PT4, and we have also performed some research on the difference between our design and HM2's dark skin design - the results of our research show that the majority of users we consulted with prefer our brighter design. We also read research on interface design that showed the usability of reports are best when the text is black on a white background (with shaded columns of course). The result of this extensive research is that we created a white background interface, which has gotten mostly positive reviews. In turn this allowed us to focus our interface design resources on other components, such as the best HUD Profile designer in the business, the most powerful replayer theming capabilities, and deck themes that allow the way your reports look to be highly customized. We do not intend to add a dark skin at this time - but its something we will certainly revisit again in the future when we work on future PT versions... this is a topic that will always be investigated every time we put out a new release.

PS: in-game PokerTracker is designed to be hidden while you play for the majority of users. Sure, some players keep the View Today's Hands window open, and others keep the Holdem Hand History Visualizer open, but must don't need to see PT4 in-game
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      Thanks for the response.
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokerTracker
      Just wondering if anyone knows if PT4 will be releasing a dark skin for their product? Not for the aesthetic effect, A dark skin is less straining on the eyes.
      We did a lot of research of the type of interface design our users wanted before the release of PT4, and we have also performed some research on the difference between our design and HM2's dark skin design - the results of our research show that the majority of users we consulted with prefer our brighter design. We also read research on interface design that showed the usability of reports are best when the text is black on a white background (with shaded columns of course). The result of this extensive research is that we created a white background interface, which has gotten mostly positive reviews. In turn this allowed us to focus our interface design resources on other components, such as the best HUD Profile designer in the business, the most powerful replayer theming capabilities, and deck themes that allow the way your reports look to be highly customized. We do not intend to add a dark skin at this time - but its something we will certainly revisit again in the future when we work on future PT versions... this is a topic that will always be investigated every time we put out a new release.

PS: in-game PokerTracker is designed to be hidden while you play for the majority of users. Sure, some players keep the View Today's Hands window open, and others keep the Holdem Hand History Visualizer open, but must don't need to see PT4 in-game
      thank you for the detailed response, but I have to disagree with you, a dark skin is much better and less straining on the eyes for people who would spend alot of time using the software (for instance, poker players), you can go check most design softwares, they all have a dark background (autocad is the most popular)
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      thank you for the detailed response, but I have to disagree with you, a dark skin is much better and less straining on the eyes for people who would spend alot of time using the software (for instance, poker players), you can go check most design softwares, they all have a dark background (autocad is the most popular)
      I don't think they are disagreeing with the fact that a dark skin is less straining. They are just providing their reasons why they arn't prioritizing it.

We also read research on interface design that showed the usability of reports are best when the text is black on a white background (with shaded columns of course). The result of this extensive research is that we created a white background interface, which has gotten mostly positive reviews.
      You might be referring to this specific quote. This quote basically translate as " The majority of computers / users will run best under this design " not " This skin is equal to a dark skin design as far as being less straining on the eyes. "

Also this quote tells us we only have to suffer when we use the program not the HUD. I will admit though, I do spend a lot of time in the program watching replay/looking at reports ect...

Personally, I havn't bought PT4 or HM2 yet. Still on the fence ;p I think i would've already bought PT4 if it had a dark skin :p

Also, The ability to scale some font sizes for reading would be great too but would take time and resources.
    • groges74
      groges74
      Bronze
      I hated the dark skin on hm2! The solution i found was to wear these http://www.gunnars.com. They filter out the colors that cause eye stress and slightly magnify the screen. They start at about $60 and are the best investment i have made in my game. No more dry eye or headaches, even after long sessions. I actually bought my first pair with my pokerstars points. Good Luck :)
    • VladimirN
      VladimirN
      Bronze
      How about beige?
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I wonder, is it difficult to have the option to select different colours for the PT4 skin?

I mean, from what I know of coding its as simple as changing #FFFFFF to #E73930 or whatever, and all of the HUD things are customizable by colour. So I guess it would be easy to make the option of having main screen customizable, though I don't think there's a lot of point.

I really like PT4 as white, and most likely wouldn't change it if I had the option. Like PT4 rep said, it gives the reports a very clean feel, and I really appreciate that when using them because the onslaught of available info is kinda overwhelming on its own when first starting to do serious DB analysis.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I tend to agree with Metza. I'm sure PT4 would use your operating systems' color palette.

It may be as simple as having access to the .conf file, but that is probably unlikely.

It also may in fact be hard coded, but a lot of software now release skins and themes for added flexibility.

Certainly interesting

Laz
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Personally, I havn't bought PT4 or HM2 yet. Still on the fence ;p I think i would've already bought PT4 if it had a dark skin :p
      If you were making your decisions for a tracker based on the color of the application's background, then you are doing yourself a great disservice. Although we cannot speak for HM2, but I would think they would agree with that statement. There are so many more important things to review and consider than skin color... focus on the features, workflow functionality, and stability on your system - these are the true deciding issues when choosing a tracking app.

Also, The ability to scale some font sizes for reading would be great too but would take time and resources.
      Font sizes are controlled by the operating system in the application, this is how all well coded applications work - match whatever is used by the OS (web browsers are a different situation obviously). If you set the OS to change fonts or font sizes, then the application will change - but in turn many of the features in the application would break because the app cannot be made to resize based on font size since this cannot be predicted. I should note that this is a problem that all app developers have, not just Pokertracker.
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by metza
      I wonder, is it difficult to have the option to select different colours for the PT4 skin?

I mean, from what I know of coding its as simple as changing #FFFFFF to #E73930 or whatever, and all of the HUD things are customizable by colour. So I guess it would be easy to make the option of having main screen customizable, though I don't think there's a lot of point.

I really like PT4 as white, and most likely wouldn't change it if I had the option. Like PT4 rep said, it gives the reports a very clean feel, and I really appreciate that when using them because the onslaught of available info is kinda overwhelming on its own when first starting to do serious DB analysis.
      We develop a cross platform application that is compliant which each individual operating system standards. If you are using default operating system standards as we do, then the OS manages the look of an application's window. It is rare to see an application that does not use the default operating system's look of a window, the only time I have seen that is for applications aimed at video gamers or photographers (which require a neutral color skin to avoid affecting color display of the image).

Originally posted by booomm
      We agree that most design software is designed with non-standard GUI components and dark interfaces, but that makes sense since the user is staring at the design application's screen for hours on end. Poker players do the same thing, except they stare at poker tables for hours on end - not the PokerTracker application. A typical user may look at the PokerTracker application less than 5% of the time while PokerTracker is being used - the functionality is vastly different from a design application, therefore our developers chose to stick with the OS standards. Keep in mind, the rest of your OS use these same standards... as does nearly every productivity applications such as your web browser, word processor, spreadsheet, etc.... but you do have the flexibility to change these standards at the OS level if you choose to do so - and PokerTracker will follow accordingly. In closing we should clarify that your not stuck with a white report... PokerTracker 4 will change to whatever colors you chose for the OS - but then so will all the other applications that use the same OS defaults.