itsallrange

• itsallrange
      itsallrange
      Bronze
      Lesson 1 Homework

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

If I could get good enough to earn a few thousand a month in my spare time it would mean a very good life for me and my family.
      I am quite a competitive person so getting good is something I not only what I want but will make happen no matter how hard it is.(With a little shove every now and then!)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Being overly aggressive in the wrong spots.
      Once I start to tilt I spew.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

To play tight aggressive is to select your starting hands carefully. Playing less hands in early position and more in late position. When entering a pot coming in for a raise rather than limping
  • 11 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Silver
      Hey itsallrange

Welcome to the beginner's course. I hope you enjoy it. Bogdan (one of our coaches) will be by in the coming days to mark your homework.

Regards,
      Luke
    • itsallrange
      itsallrange
      Bronze
      Thanks Luke I am looking forward to it
    • legand73
      legand73
      Silver
      It's a pretty cool course. I like how it's set out. there are clear paths i.e it's structured very well imo and the coaches are really great
    • itsallrange
      itsallrange
      Bronze
      Lesson 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I think I would open up more in late position (co and btn) and try a few more steals.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      QJs hand trouble

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

AKo is 46% against 5%
    • itsallrange
      itsallrange
      Bronze
      Lesson 3

Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ?

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.77%  50.39%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.23%  48.86%   0.38% { 3d3c }

How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

Board: 5:diamond: J:spade: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

I am surprised at how little equity we have on that board, but when I think about it I have to discount the spades that would give the villan a full house.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

In this situation I would fold as we are likely facing a set or better and we do not have the pot odds to draw to a flush. I don't think we have the implied odds either as the villan will likely not stack off once another :club: hits.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play?
      JJ hand
    • itsallrange
      itsallrange
      Bronze
      Do the coaches not do these anymore?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by itsallrange
      Do the coaches not do these anymore?
      Hey itsallrange,

I'm here. Sorry for the delayed response as I was a bit busy with some personal stuff. Fear not I am here now and will respond to your homeworks.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Good work with the first 3 homeworks.

Re: Tilt

This is a very common weakness in 99.9999% of new players. So ideally you want to start working on this part of your game as soon as possible.

So the question is, what have you done to fix the tilt (either prevent it or fix it)?

Re: AJ hand

I think that folding would be wrong. Why would villain not stack off a straight when the 3rd club comes down?

It's a backdoor draw so people give you less respect for that. Plus fishy guys like him rarely ever fold a straight. So we definitely have implied odds.

Keep up the good work,

Bogdan
    • itsallrange
      itsallrange
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Good work with the first 3 homeworks.

Re: Tilt

This is a very common weakness in 99.9999% of new players. So ideally you want to start working on this part of your game as soon as possible.

So the question is, what have you done to fix the tilt (either prevent it or fix it)?

Re: AJ hand

I think that folding would be wrong. Why would villain not stack off a straight when the 3rd club comes down?

It's a backdoor draw so people give you less respect for that. Plus fishy guys like him rarely ever fold a straight. So we definitely have implied odds.

Keep up the good work,

Bogdan
      Excellent response thank you very much.

RE: AJ Hand thanks for the answer I knew taking this course would be the best thing to do!

RE: Tilt
      I have not done anything so that's a good point I better start going over some of the articles and videos on the subject

Many many thanks for the reply very helpful indeed.
    • itsallrange
      itsallrange
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

A6s hand with initiative

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread.

My Evaluation

Question 3: You are on the flop with K :spade: Q :diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :club: 7 :heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Good job with the homework especially your answer to Metza's posted hand.

Don't be afraid to jump into other discussions and ask your own questions. Those boards are some of the best tools you have available.