shorthanded MSS: Opening ranges

• DirkDark
      DirkDark
      Bronze
      I've recently started trying out MSS at the micro stakes of Full Tilt. I've tried to apply the system as explained in the beginner strategy articles (which are written for full ring) but there is something that doesn't seem right about the opening ranges.

I've tried using the ranges shown in the beginner strategy articles, and I think they are way too tight. For 100bb stacks, typical 6h opening ranges are:
      12%, 15%, 23%, 33% for utg/mp/co/bt respectively. (ref1)

I would expect that in MSS the ranges should be wider and less positional aware (ref2) (a lower difference between the UTG en BT opening range). Looking at the tables from the strategy article i found:
      6%, 6%, 10%, 18% for utg/mp/co/bt respectively. Around half of the full stack opening ranges. and about the same positional awareness.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in shorthanded medium stack strategy (SH MSS). I've tried applying the tables, but am currently running -5bb/100H over 5k hands.

about me: 5 years ago I played around 120k hands from 10NL to 100 NL. I am currently trying to start up again and short stack strategy has always fascinated me.

References:
      1: Ryan fees 6max NL guide (currently down apparently)
      2: Ed Millers articles on stack sizes
  • 1 reply