Poker Deals with non-poker friends?

• MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      I have a friend who loves talking to me about Poker, but won't put in the effort to play himself. I've offered him the basics and to help him go over some articles on here but he would prefer to go stick it on a roulette table.

After seeing my profits etc. he asked if he could stake me - I said no - Given I have already turned down a stake from a professional organization that would understand if I was playing well but had bad luck, I feel that entering this arrangement with a friend is surely cause for disaster. Having to deal with constant questions how's it going? Made me loads of money yet? etc. And then what if he sees very little or no return on his investment?

So question is:

Have you allowed any non-poker friends a slice of your action?

If so, how did it work out?

If not, why?
  • 10 replies
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Nope never. Since they don't understand poker it will be a pain to explain them if you bust/runbad.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      +1

My non-poker friends think that I would be better off with slots or the horses.

Hang on. Maybe they are right. :P
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      As above, wouldnt even entertain the idea.
      Occassionally comes up in conversation with close friends that have made an effort to understand the game out of general interest (and probably just humouring my rants at times) and even then I refuse.
      Personally I would only ever accept backing from felow players -
      avoid the headache.

MD
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Look the friend dead cold in the eye and tell him that there is a chance that he might lose all his money so he better only stake with money he doesn't mind losing.

Should be ok after that I suppose, just need to make the rules clear before hand.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      I can completely empathise with OP. Reason being that my brother often sees me playing a lot of poker and by default has gained a general understanding of it. I am currently considering a staking opportunity with to give myself a live roll to play £1/£1 with to the tune of £2k but I fear that for similar reasons to above that it might be a bad idea.

Look forward to any other postson this topic
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      if someone is "serious" about it, show them a bunch of variance simulator runs or something. if you think that it will go over their head or something (you know what i mean) then don't even get started. :f_biggrin:
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      well if you're any good you wouldn't need to sell your action to anyone else unless some real-life event happens which takes away your bankroll (like black friday or some family issue/debt problem).

A professional staking organisation would avoid staking players who have yet to prove themselves.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      well if you're any good you wouldn't need to sell your action to anyone else unless some real-life event happens which takes away your bankroll (like black friday or some family issue/debt problem).

A professional staking organisation would avoid staking players who have yet to prove themselves.
      While I appreciate your point on the selling action, I have only just began to pick up my rather crappy financial situation, and the extra money in my Poker account could and does often get used somewhere else when I'm on a bit of a run. So the temptation for me to withdraw money that is mine becomes very great - Most notable when some event is happening a few friends are going and I am just a click from going if I use my Poker bankroll. The only reason I ever wanted to get a stake is to remove this temptation, because as bad as I may be with money sometimes I would never willingly spend someone else's cash that was entrusted to me.

I also felt that if I started a stake with a friend and I could actually get going over a fixed number of hands/time and I make a nice profit then I would gain a bankroll I am happy with, he would make some cash and then later if needed invest again based on first performance. Making a friend money is a big plus for me, I like helping but I could also hinder. Hence why I asked the question here to re-enforce my view of not taking it.

Bad Beat - I fulfilled all of their criteria but I pulled out at final stage after talking to a few members from one of the Skype groups with mainly members from this forum and their past experiences. I don't think I was good enough at the time, but I basically built a free roll there using a similar business model to this site, then continued to try and get the parameters within the range that BB deemed worthy ... The challenge was there I think on some level I just wanted to try and achieve the goal. Then once I did I felt it wasn't what I wanted, or maybe that I should quit before I fail. I honestly think I just didn't want to play with pressure and add another excuse to the long lists I used to come with for my poor play due or mindset issues.

Thanks for all the replies in this thread :)
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I find that non-poker playing friends who want to stake someone have an unrealistic expectation regarding their return on investment.
    • Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      If your friend is serious about poker and has the basic knowledge you can stake him in increments hence giving him additional funds once he prove himself like what pokerstrategy did to us with their starting bankroll (not such a small amount though).

If you give him another increment of his total stake and he lose a certain amount you can tell him to drop down in stakes where he was before and make back your money back before giving him the other increments of the stake.

Also make sure he sign staking terms so he knows its business and not a friendship thing

Its good to be kind to a friend

stay cool Acespeci