Playing pocket Kings

• montsa
      montsa
      Bronze
      Hello there,

Is there a trick to playing KK's?
      I just noticed in my last two sng tourneys pocket Ks (not just my) are getting cracked left and center.
      I cant get the hand converter working properly, but I was dealt KK 3 times, each time I pushed all in before the flop and twice got called by Ace and rag card and ended up catching it. One time I ran into AA so I dont really care about that too much. and another time my AJ cracked someone else's KK.
      I guess what I am trying to ask is, is there a better way to play KK other than aggressive preflop play? can someone please give me some tips?
      would it be as profitable to play it like its QQ or JJ?
      or maybe this is just a small streak of bad beats and probably wouldnt happen again any time soon?

thank you
  • 8 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Push it pre-flop, its just bad beats.

Think about it, your opponent has 3 outs to catch the A. Apart from some draws he might have.

Over time KK all in will win more then it looses.
    • montsa
      montsa
      Bronze
      Thank you

another question...

I noticed with the 6/10 person sngs most of the time I'm just folding until I get to the push/fold stage, but usually by then, the few big stacks are pushing and calling everything.
      I thought smaller tables are suppose to have smaller variances... or does it depend on the blinds' structure and buy-in amount?
      What type of SnG's should I be looking for? or should i just stick with cash games?
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Alright there are two strategies for SNG:

1. Play normally at small blinds and try to build your stack. This is not effective I think since you might lose and have 1000 in the push/fold stage instead of ca. 1450

2. Play very tight in the beginning and then loosen up and do push/fold later on. This is what I prefer.

Ok so in the beginning play tight and only play with hands which are a sure win most of the time (AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, AJ, etc.)
      The thing is yes some players will be big stack at the time push/fold stage comes but this doesn't matter. If you play according to ICM against them and they call... you will double up most of the time.

In the beginning try playing 1$ turbo SnG with either 9 or 10 players.

Cash tables are tougher, you might lose an entire buyin. I do play them with really bad BRM but thats just me. If your not confident in your game I don't suggest doing this since losing a buy-in has big effects on your BR.
      You can play sss strategy though which has much less risk.
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      The only "trick" to playing KKowboys is to love them. I do. Silly ace rags lose in the end, and you complete a set 20%, so you are due I would say :D
      In sng, mtt the KK is pushing hard, only trapping with sets on the flop. In ring games the KK is beggin for a fish as many bad players think thier top pair is the bomb and have been told to go all in for protection, or will simply call you to the river.
      Bad beats are part of variance, as long as you are mentally stable they will not affect your bankroll longterm.
      I have personally played tons of sng/mtt at the very low limits, and while I am not familiar with PS advice I have noticed that you can play SSS until you get top 1-2 chipstack, then switch to BSS. If my stack is #1 and more than double the 2nd highest stack I also switch to LAG and put pressure on the smaller stacks. If I am busted or no longer 2x big stack I switch back to TAG. If the table is weak/non-aggresive I will limp/fold a large range of hands as long as my chipstack =>15xBB and is stacked around top 40% of the other players.
      1 table low limit sng players make many mistakes, you will be able to capitalize on this with practice. I know I make lots of mistakes, less than average though as I seem to win more 1table sng than I lose.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Man today I lost the most money vs people who limp pocket pairs....

and they always somehow manage to get 1 pocket higher then me... JJ vs QQ lost me 8$... should have seen it coming though, there was one tell preflop: A call to a re-raise of 4$ of my 90 cent raise... thing is I put him on a lower pocket pair.. like 10 10 or so :( so I pushed all in... of course he wins.

Also SnGs today... people limping AA I go all in with JJ... freaking annoying haha.
      But I did manage to beat a KK today because the guy slow played too much.

Not cool that I seem to get high pocket pairs today when others got higher ones... but thats just the game I guess.

My bankroll doesn't appreciate it very much.
    • montsa
      montsa
      Bronze
      thanks for all your inputs and advices!
      I never played turbo tourneys guess I should try a couple to see!
    • Semesa
      Semesa
      Bronze
      i dont play AJ from early position in early stages of an SnG, and at the same time, i will always fold AQ to a preflop re-raise.

until blinds get to 50/100 im basically playing SSS in SnG. usually you will be around 1350 chips by the time you get to 50/100. and for the first few shoves you make, you get ALOT of respect because of your tight image. its an easy way to get some blinds. by 100/200 im usually up to around 2000 in chips merely due to my image.

note: this only works on $5 and $10 tables. nobody pays attention to image on the lower buy-ins.
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      High pocket pairs are bless ;) I mean ofcourse you lose them sometimes so nasty(happens to me far more that those low 20% :( ) that you would just k!ll someone ;)

Yesterday i lost in 5$ SNG first hand all in KK vs AJs but yesterday winner is for sure: