Bluff on flop vs bluff on river

• Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Ok this situation faces me a lot and I am not sure how to react to this properly. The following will be an imaginary hand for demonstration:

NL 10
      Hero: 9 10
      Villain: ??

Flop: 5 10 K
      Villain checks, Hero bets 10 cents, Villain calls

Turn 3

Villain checks, Hero checks

River 7

Villain bets 20 cents, Hero folds

OK the strategy behind this:

I am never sure if the Villain is bluffing on the river since he thought I am bluffing on the flop. Should I make another continuation bet on the turn?
      This situation also applies if I don't hit anything on the flop. Sometimes I can get villain to fold if I put another continuation bet on the turn.

Its just I can never decide... how can I be sure that if I bet on the flop in position and the villain who checked before calls because he has something or because he thinks I am bluffing. The turn now is very important.. if I show weakness he can in turn bluff me on the river. If I show strength he might raise me if he acctually has something and I lose 2 bets instead of 1. And obviously I can't min bet on the turn anymore.

Can anyone help me with these situations?
  • 5 replies
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Which action preceded flop?

Pot-size flop?

Stack sizes?

Villain's starting hand range?

Some assumptions about villain's playing tendencies with different part of his range?

You do not necessarily have to bet the flop here and as played I am calling the river about 99% of the time.
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Are you playing SSS?
      If so you are in freeplay with 9T and the correct move is to check fold unless you have a made hand (TPTK or better) and dont min-bet. Bet 2/3 to full pot bets, this gives your villian incorrect odds to call, and also builds a lucrative pot so he will continue to throw money at you.

In your example you have nothing...you dont improve...you dont bet, you dont call. To re-itterate, you have NOTHING so dont even bet. Who cares if he is bluffing? what are you going to call him with?

If you are playing BSS I cant really comment, other than your play looks real weak and limpy, how can you blame them for bluffing at you? Villian has limped too, and shown weakness twice, I am bet/fold the turn and check/folding the river unless I hit. Some stats would be nice too.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Min bet is testing the villain. He should raise on a made hand, calling indicates draw imo.

Hence another bet on the turn might get him to fold, even if you don't really have hit anything.

K maybe I am playing to theoretical and too risky with this.
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      I dont reccomend trying to put the chum on any hand, or that they are even playing properly at all, most of all on the low limits. Just go look at my KTo freeplay hand. I tried to think to much, whereas sticking to regular strategy would have been best.

Remember, if you are SSS middle pair/middle kicker = garbage. Throw it away unless it improves for free, or you are getting correct odds to call. In your example you need 8:1 pot odds to call anybet (you have 5 outs, you can't include backdoor str8 as you are shooting for 1carded bottom end)
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      I play bss though.
      But yeah, I think I will stick to more simple strategies for lower limits. The players play with too big hand ranges for advanced strategies to be effective... and I have already thrown away a dominating hand once or twice because I overestimate my opponent or think too much.