This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Nl10 - Jj -

• johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      $6.25
      MP3:
      $9.90
      Hero:
      $2.00

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:heart: , J:diamond:
      UTG+2 calls $0.10, MP1 raises to $0.20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.20, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.80, 3 folds, MP1 calls $0.60, MP3 calls $0.60.

Flop: ($2.65) 6:heart: , 5:heart: , T:heart: (3 players)
      MP1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets $1.20 (All-In), MP1 folds, MP3 calls $1.20.

Turn: ($5.05) Q:spade:
      River: ($5.05) 8:spade:

Final Pot: $5.05

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of jacks (Jh Jd)
      MP3 shows a flush, ace high (8h Ah)

MP3 wins with a flush, ace high (8h Ah)

Summary I was trying to protect against a flushdraw with the flop all-in, and I had decent flush prospects myself. Question: should I have excercised more caution after the three flop hearts - or was the all-in fine given the situation?
  • 9 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      It was a good hand and played well.

You had overpair and a flush draw as well. Considering that you had a made hand as well as less than half the pot then the push was an excellant play. Well done.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I was thinking - still trying to get to grips with some SSS post-flop situations.

For instance, If I didn't hold a heart would you still recommend pushing?
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Yes i would because you wouldn't have the flush draw but you would still have overpairs and your stack size is still less than half the pot.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      With a limper, minraiser, and caller of the minraise before me, I'm just pushing my Jacks preflop, I reckon.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      #2 for pushing preflop.
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      #3 push preflop

on the flop an overpair = nuts!!! Never think about folding overpairs when you are preflop raise!
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      yes, push preflop. My calculations for re-raise minbet are = 6xBB + 2xBB x #limper/callers. Thus your raise is .6 (MP minraise) + .2 (UTG limp) + .2 (MP passive call) = $1.00 This is half your stack, basic SSS says to push. I am pushing this hand preflop as well.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Originally posted by davidangel
      yes, push preflop. My calculations for re-raise minbet are = 6xBB + 2xBB x #limper/callers. Thus your raise is .6 (MP minraise) + .2 (UTG limp) + .2 (MP passive call) = $1.00 This is half your stack, basic SSS says to push. I am pushing this hand preflop as well.
      Ah. Thanks for clearing that up David. I was under the impression that you should just re-raise 3x the raise + 1x for each caller - and had always disregarded pre-raise limpers.

Thanks for the replys and evaluation.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Originally posted by davidangel
      Ah. Thanks for clearing that up David. I was under the impression that you should just re-raise 3x the raise + 1x for each caller - and had always disregarded pre-raise limpers.

Thanks for the replys and evaluation.
      John the way david wrote it is exactly the same as raising the min raise 3x and 1 raise for each caller of that min raise, i.e on NL10

MP2 min raises to .20, CO calls min raise .20

:spade: 3x min raise = .60 + 1 raise for caller = .20. Total .80

:diamond: 6xBB for min raise = .60 + 2BB for caller = .20. Total .80.

Hope this clears things up for you.