RockEye's SSS: Grind from scratch

• RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Here i go. I decided to open a blog to share my feelings, thoughts, upswings, downswings with others.

About me:

I am 33 years old, i live in Slovenia, i am married and have a 6 year old daughter. I work as an IT support.
      I spend most of my free time (mostly at the evenings when my family doesn't need me) at the pc. So i said to myself, why wouldn't i play poker, have fun and maybe someday earn enough to buy myself and my family something nice.

Poker start:

K i started playing online poker 3 months ago. I found one guy's site named "MENTOR". He offered his special strategy (charts) in return if i join Titan Poker and deposit some money and special affiliate bonus from him. Ok i received that and started playing. I deposited 50€ at Titan. This guy's charts were made for 1/2$ limits, so with my 50€ i felt ucomfortable to play at that limit. I played poker with my friends for fun a lot, but that was "draw" poker. So i didn't had a clue what i am doing. I started with 0.10/0.20 FL games. I wasn't that bad, but i was slowly loosing money. Then i tried SNG's. Actually it went good. I won few 1$ and placed 2nd or 3rd on some. But i tried to go for bigger money. One day i tried 2$ SNG's. Played 15 of em and didn't win a cent. Continued to play 1$, 0.50$. 0.20$ SNGs but i was already at 4€.
      Then i said to myself, you need to study some books about poker, so i've read Lee Jones's Winning on low limit Holdem and few others. I haven't played for few weeks. Then i stumbled on Poker Strategy site. I was happy i am getting free starting capital. I couldn't retrack my Titan account so i received my free money at Full tilt and started playing SSS on 0.5/0.10 limits.

Achievements so far:

Well i wouldn't dare to post my graphs because it's terrible :D , but i figure 3 months old poker player can't be good.
      But still:

Titan poker:
      BR 1.20€ yea lol :D (i am stuggling for two weeks getting to 7€ and down againg playing some FL 0.2/0.4, NL 0.2/0.4 and 0.10, 0.20 SNGs)
      Recent achievement :
      I placed 7th at 100 points 50$ tournament 1000 players (was really lucky)
      cashed 1$. Better then nothing :)

Full tilt:
      BR 70.40$ (i've released all my 50$ bonus yesterday) My highest BR was 83$ few days ago) I am happy i don't have 0$ at FTP but i am angry too cause untill now the bonus was saving my ass, from now on i have to improve my play, cause if i'd continue i'll slowly get to 0$. Only rakeback can save me a bit. Btw thx PS for rakebacks. :D

Goals:

1. I have to improve my play and follow SSS more strictly
      2. Play as more freerolls as i can, to learn playing MTTs and SNG's without risk
      3. Get to 100$ BR in the next month

Thoughts:

Sometimes i wonder how other ppl do it, how do they win MTTs or have enough discipline to build their BR with SSS. I think i can do it too, but for now i am still learning.
      I am closely observing my feelings and my moods and so far i figured that my play is the best at the evenings from 9PM to 10.30PM. So far i've won most pots in these hours. If i play more then 2 hrs my play gets weaker and i start tilting and loosing money.

Cya soon, i hope you like my story and it's not too boring.
  • 49 replies
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Ok i played 100$ freeroll yesterday. I was 37th out of 360 players, i got 0.60cents. I pushed allin with AKs when middle stacked villain hit a set of eights... bad move i guess.

Played two 0.10c SNG's (droped from both - no money)
      Played two 0.20c SNG's (won both :D 2$ added to Titan account) 1.69€ currently.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      hi ya RockEye. A well written blog with clear, achievable goals. Good luck from another SSS'er.

I shall check back regularly.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Thx TheBu11d0g :) I wish you luck too, god knows we shortstackers need it.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Tell me about it :D I suffered another bad couple of days again on PokerStars. I'm down to $30 again :evil:
    • Rowkilla
      Rowkilla
      Bronze
      If you're good at surviving at SNGs I'd suggest the Titan (don't know if its on Full Tilt aswell) 1$ NLH Double Up SNGs, you just have to get to 5th place and you win double your buying.
      Good luck on your journey :)
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      My last few days went amazingly good. I decided for SNG's to be my game of choice. Single table ones, it seems i still suck at MT SNGs and MTTs.

While i didn't won't a lot of money, my percentage of "Getting in the money" is scaring in a good way :D .

In tuesday i tried to play FL 0.2/0.4$ game on Titan and i burned my BR down to 0.69$
      (It was the day i decided to play a lot of sngs, cause i am not that good at micro limits cash game, as there are always 3-6 ppl at the river and the more luckiest wins) I said to myself now this ends now!! Only SNGs from now on.

In wednesday i played 6 one table sngs at Titan for 0.20+.0.4$

1st place: 1 (1$)
      2nd place: 4 (0.60$)
      lost: 1

Yesterday:

Titan 0.20+.0.4$:

2nd place: 1 (0.60$)

Full tilt 45 ppl 1+0.25$ SNG:
      busted out at 30th place

Full tilt 2 single table SNGs 10 ppl 1+0.25$

1st: 1 (4.5$)

Current Full tilt BR 70,87$ (Hmm still no rakeback)

Titan current BR 1.97€

I think my i am doing good with SNGs. What bothers me is why is the Multi table SNG that much harder for me. I wouldn't say there are better players there. Maybe my lack of patience.

I am amazingly good at last stages of SNGs, as soon as there are only 3 ppl left i start to play very good and as you see rarely bust out. I have not problem with HU game, for me getting In the money is harder. Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Hear ya soon.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Ok, i admit i was lazy not posting any update, but here i am.

Finally burned my BR of 1.97€ at Titan and i'll say bye bye Titan. I kinda hate this site, cause i expirienced so many suckouts. Ppl calling your raises and allins with any two cards and then flop hits em... too chaotic for me.

I cashed out my Full tilt BR of 76$ and i added 54$, and deposited at Party Poker. I want to use my TAF money when it comes. And i'll grind to release a bonus. If i am lucky i'll make some profit or at least release my bonus of 134$ + rakeback.
      That will help me to increase my BR for BSS and high volume SNGs.

Currently i tried some 0.2/0.4$ limits SSS but the players there are too tight, i can't really make any money there. Moved to 0.5/0.10$ played a bit but i am at 0$ profit. I loose as much i win. At least i am getting party points for bonus. I kinda don't like their new software. Like one guy said, i want to play poker not video game with graphics and animations.

I kinda miss Full Tilt now :D I like their software and players.

Beside SSS i play lot's of freerolls at Party i even cashed in at one for whooping 0.3$ lol.

Beside that i managed to get to 1.7$ from 0$ at Ongame (Next poker) playing freerolls. I was 12th once and 20th once. Now i'll play one 1+0.20$ SNG and pray i'll get ITM.

So much for now.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Ok an update.

3 days ago i fell from 134$ to 124$ (tilting i think). But yesterday i was doing pretty good. Got to 130.70$ i am at 100/133 points to clear my first 24$ bonus.

I am satisfied with my success, if you can call it success :D For me it is. I am no longer loosing my BR. My play has improved a lot. For now i am counting on my bonus to cover up some of my mistakes, but i hope i won't need to cover any of em :D and my bonus will just add to my growing BR.

I stopped playing MTTs (freerolls) and SNGs for now. I need to focus on cash game to clear the bonus. MTTs took me a lot of time without any reward.

I am rereading Lee Jones's Winning on Low limit Holdem, it's a very good book, i recommend it to everyone.
      I am planning to read Harrington on Holdem (all 3 volumes) soon.

That's for know. Cya!
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      The day before yesterday i finished the day at 138$. Yesterday i finished a day at 134.31$ but released first 20% of my bonus (26.40$) so my current BR is 160.71$.

I am not really sticking to SSS. It's more like BSS with SSS stack size. I limp Axs, small pairs and suited connectors 7+ in middle and late position. But i change my play a lot, so it's hard to figure out what i am holding. I bet the flop to get information who has some draws, made hands etc. Ppl rarely bluff at this limits. I play my monsters highly aggresive.

My VPIP: 13.4
      My PFR: 14
      My AF: 6.29
      My Fold to SB steal is: 87%
      My Fold to BB steal is: 83%

I need 13 more Party points to get to Queen lvl1. Dunno really, these points are only good exchange for $ later when i collect enough of em. Using them for tournaments entry sucks, cause i currently suck at MTT.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hey Rockeye!

I am following your blog by the day but I am rarely replying on your posts however if you wish to, I can do it more frequently. But I think you should stick to the Basic SSS on Micro limits and steadily increasing simple expansions what increases your EV a lot.

I limp Axs, small pairs and suited connectors 7+ in middle and late position.
      I think you have to stick to a certain limp chart in order to do this. If you continue limping with these hands on Middle and Late regardless how many limpers there are infront and stuff, your bankroll will take a hit.

Regarding PartyPoints: I should save them untill you play on higher limits where you earn 100 SPP per day (so times a multiplier gives you a $25 cashback every 5 days or something).

Cheers
      -Gerv
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Thx for a reply Gerv. I like you blog, i really enjoy reading it. I wish i'd had more time to post some hands or graphs into my blog, but they aren't interesting for now as i am a fairly new poker player (i am playing online poker - holdem) for 4 months all together and that's with 3 week break. I think i am progressing well. Maybe a month ago i was a loosing player who struggled at Full Tilt micro limit with 10% rake. But i managed to finish with 76$ when i released a 50$ bonus. I got around 40$ worth rakeback too so 50$+50$+40$=140$-76$= -64$
      I am happy i didn't lose my whole BR.
      I am too impatient for strict SSS. Playing only hands described at SSS SHC is making me loose too much money through blinds. And then when i get AA,KK, QQ,JJ, AK everyone fold, so i make 0.15$. I am worried that playing strict SSS makes your TAG style readable and you can't make much money.

Another problem is i can't play more then 600 hands per day due lack of time, or i am too tired having a really stressfull job.
      At that rate i'd be progressing like 30$ per month if i am lucky.

I know i should stick to SSS but players on Party are a bit different then on Full Tilt. Party players are more tighter then FTP ones and more fishy.

Every day i learn a lot. I review every daily session in my head after i finish playing. I try to find out where i am making mistakes and what moves did i do well. I learned quite a few tricks, from Lee Jones's book.

Bye for today.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Well sometimes you have to be pragmatic and accept the restrictions you have. I also play around 600 hands per day. In the weekends I can play up to 1250 hands max but that's it.

Worrying about blinds is nonsense because you lose far more than 1.5bb every orbit. What's the point of SSS? Introducing new players to Poker and giving them a proper bankroll. In order to achieve this you need discipline and patience.

Players on Party are bad as well, especially on NL10 so do not worry about you being readable at all. Imagine seeing a Pro on NL10? Dont think so. Most fishes on NL10 play there own hands rather than looking at position and stuff.

It will be a challenge to beat NL10 but once you get there, it only can be better! It took me 22.5k hands to beat NL10 by SSSSv (ShortStackStrategy-Strict version)

- Gerv
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Huh i had a luckiest poker weekend ever. Saturday i checked my PS forums and i remembered that 1. november is the day for Mega jackpot draw at Party poker. I checked my account and BOOM! + 142$ :D I was thrilled! I've even dreamt winning 200$ from thos jackpot a week ago. Well that boosted my BR to 304$.
      I've registered on a few freerolls at Party too. One of em was 10k weekly freeroll. I played really tight and maitained my BR at around 13k chips in first two hours. I played only few hands (maybe 7 of em). I only pushed when i had nuts or AA, KK, AKs. It seems it worked. I managed to end 132th winning 20$+10k Monthly freeroll ticket at 10k Weekly freeroll and 31th place for 0.75$+2.5k weekly freeroll ticket at 250$ bankroll builder freeroll. :) I think my MTT game has improved. Ok i think i know how to play first two stages of MTTs. I still have problem being low stacked at final stage.
      Jesus i wonder how those guys get to 500k chips!! And how they manage to keep em. Either they play MANIAC style and have a lot of luck or they are really good reading other players.
      Another win was 1$ 10ppl SNG. I ended up 1st and won 4$.

BR status: 328$ :D :D

I tried some NL25 SSS. Won around 9$ and lost 9$. I wonder if i am ready for NL25?? Or should i rather play NL10 BSS??
      Any advice anyone?

Thx
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      BSS is much harder to learn than SSS. If you want to switch, you really should commit to it and dump SSS completely.

Limping suited connectors and small pairs with a shortstack isnt such a good idea - most of the time you will hit nothing and when you do connect, with your short stack you wont win enough money to pay for all the times you didnt.

You are playing SSS cashgames, SNGs and MTTs, and now thinking of playing BSS - at this stage of your career my advice to you is to focus on studying one style for a while, put the others on hold while you learn to win consistently at one game. You can always return to the others later.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Yes i know it's not good to learn all styles at once. But the fact is i am only playing freeroll MTTs, so i don't loose anything if i bust out. About SNGs, i've already played plenty of em and i am good at one table SNGs.
      I like to try different styles of play to find one that suits me best.

Yep, thanks for the advice about BSS. I had a feeling that changing from SSS to BSS would hit my BR too much. For now i am staying at SSS. I'll try more NL25 since i got a BR for it, 65BI is enough to be safe for now. As soon i drop for 5-10 BI i'll switch back to NL10. It all depends how i'll feel playing NL25. If NL25 has pretty much the same players then NL10 it's ok.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      nice progress. I strongly recommend playing NL25 SSS on ftp, as the level of play isn't very different and there is only 5% rake, so if you beat NL10 you should make a lot of profit on NL25.
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      nice progress. I strongly recommend playing NL25 SSS on ftp, as the level of play isn't very different and there is only 5% rake, so if you beat NL10 you should make a lot of profit on NL25.
      Lol like we need one more SSS player on tables. 4/5 at each table is more than enough (to much) ;)
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      I've played NL10 at FTP and there was a lot of SSS players there. I still got 110$ of bonus to clear at Party so i am stuck there and i like NL10 on Party. There aren't many SSS players per table there. Maybe or usually i am the only one. After i clear my bonus i'll see if i'll go to FTP again. For now i haven't expirienced any suckouts at Party. And i like it a lot :D

And yes slikec you need more SSSers, mwahahaha!! :D
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      NL50 on Party is really soft if you maintain playing your A-Game ;) There are afaik not many PS shortstackers but more Fish Shortsuckers ;)