[NL2-NL10] NL10 AQs

• piraya
      piraya
      Bronze
      One of my worst hands so far I think. My first mistake is to raise before the flop in early position. My second is to call the re-raise after the continuation bet. Agree? Maybe the CB itself was a mistake too.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1,85
      MP1:
      $3,35

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q:heart: , A:heart:
      UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $0,40, MP1 calls $0,40, 6 folds.

Flop: ($0,95) 7:diamond: , 7:heart: , 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,60, MP1 raises to $2,95 (All-In), Hero calls $0,85, MP1 gets uncalled bet back..

Turn: ($3,85) 5:diamond:
      River: ($3,85) K:spade:

Final Pot: $3,85

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, sevens (Qh Ah)
      MP1 shows a full-house, sevens full of sixes (6d 6s)

MP1 wins with a full-house, sevens full of sixes (6d 6s)
  • 6 replies
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      well pref, postfloop well ig uess he have a pair so i would fold to his allin.
    • piraya
      piraya
      Bronze
      Yes. It was obvious he had a pair. I will not call that one again.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      In early position AQ is an easy fold tbh.

As played after your c-bet was raised then its time to get out of there rather than calling it as at best you have two overcards with 6 outs to improve with top set ( i think :D ) whereas any pair beats you right now.
    • 2DHades
      2DHades
      Bronze
      Fold preflop.
      Bronze
      You pointed out three possible mistakes but I think all three are marginal or ok. I'll explain why.

Preflop raise AQs from UTG+2 can't be seen as wrong. Firstly, it's suited which expands it's playablility. Secondly, it's just one position difference. I'm pretty sure it cannot be calculated raising which hands from which positions has positive expected value. We follow simple rules which may or may not be totally correct.

We assume nobody hit this flop. That way every pair has us beat of course but we still can improve to pair of aces or queens. In fact in many situations we win this pot unimproved against two lower overcards.

Calling isn't that questionable as it may seem. If you assume being against pp lower than queens your equity is around 28% (I calculated it for a pair of nines). You need to call 85 cents to win 3 dolars, which makes pot odds comparable to ones we need.
    • piraya
      piraya
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies. I have now downloaded equilator so I can do the same calculation for other hands.