Really bad go with pockets

• Dragar
      Ok so over the weekend I have been experiencing a lot of times that I got a high pocket pair all in... someone has higher (who limped it)

Or they beat my AK with a pocket pair..
      But of course AK beats my QQ

99 beats my QQ

76 beats my AQ

Whats with this variance? I am afraid to play big hands now....
      I seem to loose my pocket pair heads up constantly as of lately. All coinflips go bad and even when I am the favorite on the flop and pre-flop they manage to get a suck out on the turn.

I stopped pushing with pockets in bigger SnGs and tournies since it just kills me every time.
      But then when I fold my low pockets against a higher raise.... of course I would have gotten trips on the flop.

I think I need to take a break.. somehow I manage to chose the wrong side of the coin all the time.

I know its supposed to be part of poker.. but it eliminated 1/5+ of my bankroll already :(

Wonder when I will see the other side of variance again..
  • 2 replies
    • davidangel
      Sounds like some bad beats are altering your gameplay. When this happens it is useful to reflect on those hands and ask, did I play well? If so then you can simply shrug it off to variance and continue to play your A-game. Things will turn around, I can assure you that.
      However, if you played the hands poorly you must stop and re-evaluate your game. Forum is great for that. At the same time if you played well but the bad beats get you off your game and now you are playing different then the variance does not get a chance to swing up, as it will when you continue to play your A-game.
      I suggest take a break and read strategy articles on psychology. Toughen your mind up, you will have to weather variance, not tilting is a sign of a pro. (yes, being a chicken-shit with big hands because of bad beats IS a form of tilt and will affect your variance, generally in the negative way)
    • TheBu11d0g
      Hello Dragar,

I thought this article might be of some help to you right now: