Experiment Heads-up Bankrollbuilding

• hova
      hova
      Bronze
      In the german forums the HU coach atuerke approached a bankrollbuilding project with HU SNG's with 50$, the amount a new signup gets on Pokerstrategy.
      Initially I thought this idea was crazy, because the rake on low limit SNG's is 10%, which is a lot for headsup. He has proven me wrong up until now, and was actually very successful. Now I want to try it out for myself.

I will take the same approach, with a slightly different Bankrollmanagement (30 Buy-ins instead of 20) and hopefully jump into cashgames with 2000$. I will try to attend his coachings and look to find my leaks and gain knowledge and especially learn his thought process. I will also record most if not all of my sessions on video, for selflearning purposes primarily. Thus they won't have audio comments. I might publish some of them here at some point, but only with a big enough timeshift, because I don't want anyone to pick up on my tendencies.

I'll sum up every day I played, and provide ROI% every 100 games.
      Day 4 - 02.10.2008
      60x SNG 2,2
      34 won
      26 lost
      BR $54 (-13.8)

Day 4 - 01.10.2008
      41x SNG 2,2
      27 won
      14 lost
      BR $67.80 (+$3.6)

Day 3 - 30.09.2008
      39x SNG 2,2
      25 won
      14 lost
      BR $64.20 (+$5.2)

Day 2 - 29.09.2008
      25x SNG 2,2
      16 won
      9 lost
      BR $59 (+$0.4)
      Tough Day 2, had two experiment-tables along with some cashgames, and a fish raped me for 1 hour until i finally busted him. Had to take a break once to prevent myself from reacting impulsively :) HU SNGs also didn't go too well, day began with a 5 SNG losing streak.

Day 1 - 28.09.2008
      7x SNG 2,2
      6 won
      1 lost
      BR $58.60 (+$8.60)
  • 11 replies
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      Cool, I'm looking forward to see how you'll do with HU!

GL!
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Interesting. I'm working a lot on my HU game myself, so this is an interesting project for me.

I play $2.2 on Full Tilt and I'm up about $10 for 20 games or so. Mostly because I have done really well in the 4 player winner takes it all, winning 3 out of 5. Those are quite easy to play, since more fishes enter, because of the higher reward I guess.

I will check on this one once in a while.

Cheers,
      Kimber88
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      Write and what are you learning in process
      New moves, adjusting for the levels
      That will be interesting
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Nice project. I'll follow your blog.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      Interesting :)

I had a crazy idea once to try this out but using BRM of like 3-5BI maybe 10BI but for sure under <10BI so basically almost no BRM :D . And idea in my plan would then be not to play with some stable ground to allow some bad streaks but instead i would take big risks and see how far up i can go. Starting low and risking little and set it as challange for me. I guess it would be very similar to step system. If i win i move up the limit, if i lose i move down. Somehow havent tried this yet but i still hope i might do it one day. Probably will deposit like 20$ on some room where i have already cleared bonus and try it. So max loss would be limited to those 20$ or so.

Anyway, since my plan is similar to this but just far more aggressive i will follow your results to see if its worth at all :) Good luck!
    • hova
      hova
      Bronze
      Thx for the feedback. I'll try to make this blog enjoyable :D Remember the updates will be in the first post.
    • hova
      hova
      Bronze
      A hand from this morning. I'm not sure whether i should just call the river, opponent seems like a bad player. Situation came up in the 2nd hand, and I think how he played the first one is crucial.

Poker Stars $2.00+$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 2 players

BTN/SB: t1500
      Hero (BB): t1500

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BB with A:diamond: 3:club:
      BTN/SB calls t10, Hero checks

Flop: (t40) K:heart: 6:club: J:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN/SB bets t20, Hero folds

Final Pot: t40
      BTN/SB shows 6:diamond: 9:diamond: (a pair of Sixes)
      BTN/SB wins t40

His showing makes no sense, his bet is more or less standard for a new game without a specific gameflow. He charges draws, Overcard+Gutshot and might get to showdown. Him showing makes me think he wants to show his big "bluff" - because i check instafolded to his bet his thought process was unreasonable.

Poker Stars $2.00+$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 2 players
      The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BB: t1520
      Hero (BTN/SB): t1480

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BTN/SB with 7:heart: K:spade:
      Hero raises to t60, BB calls t40

Flop: (t120) K:diamond: A:heart: 9:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets t20, Hero calls t20

Turn: (t160) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets t80, Hero calls t80

River: (t320) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets t200, Hero raises to t500, BB raises to t800, Hero calls t300

Final Pot: t1920

My initial read was correct, as the game went on, he donk/called every flop with air or 3 outs+ and check/snapcalled his made hands instead. His standard line was to call oop, donk every street and bet the river bigger with his whole range. With more history i would have raised the flop vs this villain and bet the turn for value and called his river donk, he made on every river. But unfortunately without that read he could have had an Ace all the way.

In retrospect I think a call would have been best. I would have seen his hand. He might fold most of his hands in that spot to my raise, even if it's small. Also it gives me the momentum if I call and win the showdown.
    • hova
      hova
      Bronze
      I played some special opponents today. On one table i had another thinking player, that played higher stakes (i sharkscoped him after recognizing him being too good for these stakes) and the sesh right after i had 3 absolute maniacs, one after another. I had to play very adaptive in both games, so the footage might be interesting. Unfortunately i didn't tape the game vs the thinking player, I'll try to make a replayer video.
    • hova
      hova
      Bronze
      http://rapidshare.com/files/150240641/bonus.rar
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Hi,
      nice write up.
      Good luck :)
    • hova
      hova
      Bronze
      I went on a losing streak, losing flips and 70% for even stacks and started playing bad and lost 2 more SNGs i shouldn't have lost. I will take a break from this project, motivation is gone.