Elephant on 2 computers

• Ensyfer
      Ensyfer
      Bronze
      Okay, here is the thing. I have Elephant working on my computer at home.
      Now in the beginning october i will have to move to another city (study) and i will be away from home for 5 days a week. Now since i have 2 licences for elephant i would like to set them up.

How do i make elephant work on the 2nd computer?

I would like to have 1 database for both computers. So all history is saved into one database and can be accesed from both locations.

Thx in advance, Ensyfer
  • 6 replies
    • Ensyfer
      Ensyfer
      Bronze
      Anyone? Help?
    • Chazza
      Chazza
      Bronze
      Hello,

Because the elephant HH is stored on your harddrive, not on the net somewhere or a central server, it won't be possible to access the same files or information at both locations.

The only way that I can see you can do this, is to save your elephant hand history on an external hard drive (or flash drive etc.) and use that anytime you have elephant running. This is similar to just using the same laptop at both locations i guess.

Anyone else?
    • Ensyfer
      Ensyfer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Chazza
      Hello,

Because the elephant HH is stored on your harddrive, not on the net somewhere or a central server, it won't be possible to access the same files or information at both locations.

The only way that I can see you can do this, is to save your elephant hand history on an external hard drive (or flash drive etc.) and use that anytime you have elephant running. This is similar to just using the same laptop at both locations i guess.

Anyone else?
      SO this means i will have a totally new database with zero stats right. Unless i import all hands from the other database.
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      There is a trick, i use dropbox for that and i got symbolic linked folder to it with my handhistory. I also got same dropbox account synchronized on my laptop so whenever i connect my laptop to the net, this folder will sync from dropbox.
      On windows this may be tricky because there is no native support for symbolic linking (i'm using linux) so you will have to copy/paste hands after poker session to/from dropbox folder manualy, but well it's better than nothing. And in case soemthing fails, you will have backup of your handhistory always avialabe via dropbox.
      So, getdropbox!

Eventualy you may go for remote database (if elephant allows remote connections) on server (there are even free servers with postgresql) and set elephant to use it. Problem is that it will require fast connection and won't work offline.
    • JoJo0606
      JoJo0606
      Bronze
      if elephant is using postgreSQL there is a way that you can access a database you have on one computer from another computer through the internet.

How you would go about setting this up i dont know. But i do know its possible
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      That's quite simple, all you need is to buy a server with postgresql that got remote_login allowed. Then while setting up elephant, put host/login/pass of that database and it should work.