[NL2-NL10] NL50 Pocket 7's Not raised PreFlop! (terrible play :D)

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
      LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): $9.25
      UTG: $7.35
      UTG+1: $49
      UTG+2: $34.50
      MP1: $9
      MP2: $79.06
      CO: $9.50
      BTN: $39.46
      SB: $49.50

Pre-Flop: 7:diamond: 7:spade: dealt to Hero (BB)
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.50, UTG+2 calls $0.50, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, 3 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($2.25) 5:heart: 5:spade: Q:heart: (4 Players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 bets $0.50, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds

Turn: ($3.25) 3:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $2, UTG+2 calls $2

River: ($7.25) 7:heart: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $6.25 and is All-In, UTG+2 calls $6.25

Results: $19.75 Pot ($0.98 Rake)
      Hero showed 7:diamond: 7:spade: (a full house, Sevens full of Fives) and WON $18.77 (+$9.52 NET)
      UTG+2 showed 4:heart: 6:heart: (a flush, Queen high) and LOST (-$9.25 NET)

My play explained;

Villain -
      3bets his monsters pre.
      I have seen him min3bet as a bluff though.
      Noted him bluffing flop and folding to a turnbet with a blank card there.
      Minbet many flops he enters but sometimes reraise after. I think he doesn't like to give up on flop but cannot remember the hands he reraised with.

I know this looks totally wrong and crazy so I'll explain. I don't mind you all telling me I'm an idiot for playing it this way either so i'm cool with you saying "Push PreFLOP", read the SSS articles or woteva you wanna say :)

Preflop - UTG player limps many pots but is a lover of the 3bet which i don't think i can call in this situation. So i either push or check. I decided to check.

Flop - I checked to see betting action. Then to the minbet the best line may just have been to raise and not give away the free (possible flush) card. However i thought that he would play more passively on the turn calling less and raising my bet less so in interest of having higher FE i wanted to delay my betting to turn.

Turn - I think it likely he has not hit the board and i now have more FE. (Alternatively he will call with more worse hands, which i want also but at the time i thought he would be more likely to fold turn than flop)

River - Last card i expected to see, makes it obvious what to do. Otherwise i may have chosen a dodgy bluff on a scarecard more likely i would have played check/call though.

Against an unknown i would not have played this way
  • 2 replies
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      This is a good example of how you can use all the tools at your disposal (experience,stats,image,table reads etc) and maximize your profits in unusual situations. The end result is your reward for making the correct choices. Thank you for sharing. How to catch a chum, by DaPhunk...
      Oh...sorry, yes....the usual lines...
      Dont limp your 77 baDPhunk
      SSS says raise preflop!
      :D
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      checking 77-88 & KQ on BB with so many limpers is ok. I tend to do it as well.

Flop: Reraise accordingly to grab the pot immediately. You have like 4 scenario's when he reraises you of anyone:
      1) You face a Flushdraw = Good
      2) You face Qx or 5x = Bad
      3) You face an overpair = Bad
      4) You face 2 overcards = Good

well then you have to take his Stats into account. I cant see them right here. If he calls and a 7 or lower - and not of a - comes on the Turn, pushing is appropriate.

On the Turn you give him 5.25:2 = 2.5:1 which is -EV for him.

I would played it like this:
      Preflop; Check or Push but with pushing you are mostly coinflipping or against slowplayed monsters

Flop: check/raise is a good probe line to see where you are. If I got reraised it depends on his stats. if sbdy just calls, well as explained before I would push it if I see an 9 or lower and not of a

Its a cooler you made your Trips on the River and Villain his flush.
      Well played :)