[NL2-NL10] NL50 SUPER FISH thread. No stats.

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I just had my fishiest session ever i think. 4 seperate super fish on 4 seperate tables. I adjusted my play to them and even didn't leave tables i had more than 25BB on so that i could get HU with them.

However. I would like to state the disadvantages i have just felt with this session in particular. Yes these fish are goldmines but please not these points;

1. Playing these fish is highly variable. As fish often do they got lucky several times.
      2. Focusing on these particular fish can tilt the rest of your game! An example; On a different table a player i knew to be tight raised in UTG. I held JJ and pushed. However As a tight player i estimate he was raising JJ+ AK+ from UTG and i only had 36.3% equity. Bad play!

Now, this particular session(ALL tables, not just the ones with these fish on) i played i actually lost 6 stacks. Why?
      1. Plain old bad luck. Queens beaten by KQo that sort of thing.
      2. The variable nature of the way i played versus these fish. I lost more stacks than i gained.
      3. Getting carried away and changing my play towards players who were decent. Thinking they were more fishy than they were!
      4. Not taking quite so much care in marginal situations. Like the forementioned JJ versus tight UTG raiser situation.

I do not think i am experienced enough to correctly adjust my play for just 7 to 9 tables at a time to this extent so when i play in future and this situation arises i shall;
      Concentrate as much as i can on the other tables also, and reduce the number of tables i play which do not have these super fish on them.

Edit; I had not read this article before, but have now been pointed in its direction; http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=17344 According to the article i was playing against "ATM"'s in these three hands. I think this link will be useful to anyone reading this thread who hasn't already and is interested in changing their game to bad players, like i tried to. :)

Now the hands;

Hand 1
      Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
      LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

MP1: $96.86
      MP2: $59.32
      CO: $50
      Hero (BTN): $9.25
      SB: $41.12
      BB: $30.19
      UTG: $19.31
      UTG+1: $13.34
      UTG+2: $48.79

Pre-Flop: Q:diamond: 2:club: dealt to Hero (BTN)
      6 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, SB folds, BB calls $1

Flop: ($3.25) 2:diamond: 8:spade: 8:diamond: (2 Players)
      BB bets $7.50, Hero raises to $7.75 and is All-In, BB calls $0.25

Turn: ($18.75) 3:club: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($18.75) A:heart: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $18.75 Pot ($1.43 Rake)
      Hero showed Q:diamond: 2:club: (two pairs, Eights and Twos) and WON $17.32 (+$8.07 NET)
      BB showed 5:spade: 7:heart: (a pair of Eights) and LOST (-$9.25 NET)

Easy value call with bottom pair.

Hand 2 (Against same opponent)

MP1: $58.07
      MP2: $50
      Hero (CO): $16.57
      BTN: $42.62
      SB: $26.54
      BB: $39.54
      UTG: $10
      UTG+1: $49.25
      UTG+2: $48.04

Pre-Flop: 5:spade: 5:club: dealt to Hero (CO)
      5 folds, Hero raises to $2, BTN folds, SB raises to $15, BB folds, Hero calls $14.57 and is All-In, SB calls $1.57

Flop: ($33.64) 4:club: 2:heart: T:spade: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Turn: ($33.64) J:spade: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($33.64) 5:heart: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $33.64 Pot ($2.18 Rake)
      Hero mucked 5:spade: 5:club: (three of a kind, Fives) and LOST (-$16.57 NET)
      SB showed 3:spade: A:club: (a straight Ace to Five) and WON $31.46 (+$14.89 NET)

A different fish;

Hand 3
      This guy is bluffing ATC. Easy call with A high.... I estimate his vpip is 90 and other players behing myself are very tight with vpip's of at most still under 10.

UTG+1: $58.07
      UTG+2: $50
      Hero (MP1): $10
      MP2: $42.12
      CO: $42.68
      BTN: $38.79
      SB: $9.50
      BB: $49.25
      UTG: $48.04

Pre-Flop: 7:spade: A:club: dealt to Hero (MP1)
      3 folds, Hero raises to $2, MP2 folds, CO calls $2, 3 folds

Flop: ($4.75) 2:club: 2:diamond: 4:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $3, CO calls $3

Turn: ($10.75) 9:heart: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($10.75) Q:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $16, Hero calls $5 and is All-In

Results: $20.75 Pot
      Hero showed 7:spade: A:club: (a pair of Twos with Ace kicker) and WON $19.22 (+$9.22 NET)
      CO showed 3:diamond: J:spade: (a pair of Twos) and WON $11 (+$1 NET)

I'm not quite sure if its worth me adjusting my game so much though. It makes everything more variable(I do have 80+ stacks though) and as said, adjusting it to these fish caused me to make some bad plays on other tables where i was at - 10 - 15% equity or so from the information i had to hand ( i think)

Comments welcome!
  • 5 replies
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Nice! I was hoping there would still be some big chum for when I get to NL50.
      Personally when I notice tables with lots of chum I tend to close down the tighter tables and focus on the easy ones. I can always find a tight table, but chum, they deserve special attention.
      A couple notes for beginners looking at this thread.
      1) You need lots of experience, stats, the bankroll and a stable mind to attempt these plays. Chum = higher variance, in addition when a LAG chum sucks out they tend to aggrandize themselves, you will need composure.
      2) When you do catch a big chum, immediatly go back to TAG. I like the Q2o play, but I am thinking the 55 was marginal considering your stack size. On the other hand you were one suckout away from putting a double play on the chum for a quadruple through.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      hand 3: fold preflop. you can't just ignore the other players.

JJ: even if he's tight, JJ has tons of equity against his range.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Stats > More tables on NL50++

Simply because your Edge % is bigger with Stats so you know when to fold ;)
      Also I like to know what your PartyPocker nickname is since you are also playing on Nl50 (without stats???)

Maybe we can exchange databases so we are both taking advantage of fishes.
      Most fishes only play on 1 table hardly 2 (I can see that through SpadeIt)

Cheers
      -Gerv
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      1) stats? history? otherwise fold preflop and fold flop
      2) easy fold to his 3bet even if he is very lose! especially with your huge stack
      3 EASY fold preflop!!
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      1) IMO your hand is too weak to play for a raise since you will probably need to see a SD. You might be able to open-limp in order to benefit from implied odds though. Monster flop for you.

2)NH.

3)Fold PF. As played, shove turn/flop since you are pot-committed with no FE and way ahead of this guys range.

Big aggro-fish => high variance (and high profit).