Do I just suck or what?

• montsa
      montsa
      Bronze
      I've been following the strategy from poker strategy very tightly.
      and it just seems like when I join a tournament all I do is fold my hands until the push and fold stage I get busted out. 2 tourneys today I played about 5 hands in total (not including free flops on big blind). I pushed once at the small blind and another time at the button with AQ, and gets called by KQ both times. and both times got busted out.
      1 tourney last night and 1 today pushed with KQ - both times called by K and rags, they both caught their rag and busted me out.
      should I be playing more marginal hands when early on during the tourney?
      or is it just the limit I play at? I am down to about $30 from playing $1 tourneys.
      I got frustrated and played at acouple of $5 dollars ones and actually won, but when i go back to 6 players $1 tourneys - I am back down to $30 something dollars - and thats after receiving over $20 dollars in bonus.... if it werent for the bonuses I wouldve lost my whoel starting capital lol
      I read the articles over again, I am calling bets according to pot odds, and I'm playing the ICM trainer thing when I can. but i feel like I'm just on a steady down slope....
      it seems like whenever i fold a crap hand, i'd see them on the flop, and when i bet with a good hand, whoever calls would catch their 3;s or 7;s or back door flush...
      I realize I am just ranting and whining now, but its just because i am angry and frustrated at folding 90%+ of my hands and just watching just to bust out on the 2 or 3 hand I play. this discpline thing isnt working out too well for me at the moment,
      what can i do??
  • 20 replies
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Keep it up the way u play. The thing you must keep deep in your heart is that you HAve to adapt your play to the size of the blind (u can read that part of the strategy again and again). You also can play some suited connectors in early tournaments (If u get lucky enough to double up with them... STOP it... and go back to the tight play. Another important aspect on playing those suited connectors is to never put all of your stack on a draw, if it gets expensive let it go with no regret(Cf: pot odds strategy) . Add that part to the SHC part then it will be fine
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      don't change the way you play because you are running bad, is the only thing i can say.
    • montsa
      montsa
      Bronze
      Thank you guys for the confirmation, i guess i really just need someone to tell me this... =)
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      The psychology articles are also a good read, help you with that discipline problem.
    • Awikun
      Awikun
      Global
      I've had even worse experience in some tournaments when I was playing 100% according to the rules and was out within first 3-5 minutes from the start.

Many times I was all in with AA, KK all in and then watching other 3 or even 4 players going all in with crap like low pockets or any 2 suited cards (even 2 4 !!!) were driving me mad. To make things worse on 95% of those cases I lost.

So from now on I very often either just call (or even fold during first 5 minutes of any tournament), or even better I just sit out , go away for a smoke and come back 5 minutes later.

Another important thing (in my opinion, please correct me if I am wrong) is to observe carefully players and your table and if you spot some fish that is often wining with unusually weak starting hands then adapt your strategy when playing against them, and to play with some hands that according to the rules you should have folded.

Against such fish players I may play with AT, A2, A3, A4, A5, KQ, KJ, KT, K9,
      QJ, QT (especially if suited)

Another important thing is that as I play a low number of hands (compared to majority of players on my table) when I decide to play those low value hands I play them in a strong way. I rarely call but rather rise and very often continue bet after the flop.
    • montsa
      montsa
      Bronze
      3rd hand of the game
      I was dealt pocket AA
      made a raise and 2 ppl called
      flop came 5 6 10 rainbow
      i bet double the pot, one called, and the last guy went all in
      i call and the guy after me calls
      the first all in had 7 9 off suit
      the other one had T J off suit
      turn is Q and river came an 8, he gets the straight
      i thought, ok i still have bout 400 chips
      a few more hands later i was dealt QQ
      went all in,
      got called by A2, catches the A on the river im done
      played a total of 2 hands + the free flops as BB

2nd game i decided to play turbo,
      folded everything til we go to push/ fold stage
      on the cutoff i pushed with TT
      called by A2 (again!) and the river comes A...

i sighed, and laughed and thought hey I'll post this up and here I am
      maybe my bad luck will be transferred to the next reader of this post ;) muhahaha
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Silver
      How much are you raising pre flop with these hands?
      If the raise was a good one, then you just got unlucky, dont worry about it.
      What you have to keep in mind is that early on people will call raises with all sorts as the raise is usually not big enough to put them off. I am not suggesting that you should put in massive raises early on, just that you should be aware that people will call your early standard raises with a wide range of hands and you need to be careful how you play hands like big pairs early on.
      Your last example with AA is typical of what people call with. In terms of their post flop play, they both played really badly, one drawing to a gutshot straight, the other with top pair, weakish kicker. In the long term these are exactly the hands you want pushing as more often than not you will take the money.
      Personally, I would also say that if you are sticking to the strategy articles, I would avoid playing the turbos as there is less time to play good ABC poker.
    • montsa
      montsa
      Bronze
      the pocket AA i raised 4x bb...

so i guess another one of my mistakes is playing turbo games ...
      well my bank roll is near done now :(
      time to switch to $.1 games... sigh
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      thats the reason i stopped playing tourneys :) if you want to play more hands play BSS SH.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Playing SNGs can be one of the most frustrating poker formats to play long term... however when you have the skills they can be awesome, rewarding and very profitable...

A few things to remember: the stats are there for a reason, that's how they work... if you constantly make +ev moves you will make money.... you won't get sucked out all the... and sometimes you will suckout as well in push/fold mode...

Sometimes your sessions go card dead... nothing you can do except switch it off... you need to ride it through with discipline...

Beware of tilting.... playing a higher limit to make up for losses is a very dangerous form of tilt... sometimes not playing is the most profitable move...

Beware: some sessions will see you have one bad beat after another... some of the sickest suckouts you have even seen and you will be left feeling like nothing will let you have catch a break...

My biggest downswing has been around 40 BIs... that was when I 1st moved up to th $5.50 games... part downswing, part bad play... I'll admit that.... but I am fighting my way back up, dropped down to the $2.40 limit and am practicing a more comtrolled approach....

Don't give up, learn as much as you can and you can beat your limit...

that's my 2 cents

gl
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      hi... keep playing ... i have in sng one gold role = if u play a lot u will earn a lot...
      i made my 50$ starting capital to 2200$ in 3 months... tomorow i will have platinium status coz i need only 5pokerstrategy points.... i had very bad days when i was starting playing poker... coz i was thinking that if i play good acording to book or some articles i couldnt loose more then 2-5 games... but that is wrong... i admire to play at least 500sng and after that watch your sharkscope graph and see resluts if u are winning or loosing ...

i know u are now building bankroll .... so if u had 50$ i admire to play 1$ sng more than 4 tables at one time.... (in sng is rule more=better) ..now im playing 8 tables but if i have bigger monitor i will probably played more than 12 to 16 tables... coz it will increase your profit but u need some skill and speed..

and dont forget that in any levels of SNG there will be swings like +-25BI every 2-3 weeks depends of how many u play... i remember lost 27BI when i started playing 11$ sng .... my BR was 850$by long days playing 5,5$ fall down to 470$ and i had very very bad days ... but one lucky day and my BR was more than 1000$ ....

PS: try to open 4-6 1$ tables at one time and play till end ...this is best way to make money at SNG
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      Did you say you play tournaments? If you mean multi massive tournement then I highly advise you too stop playing these. The SnG articles are mend for 1 table SnG's. Tourney's require a very different approse. You can ofcourse can play these for fun now and again but you really should focus on the SnG's for building you're bankroll.

If you are playing the SnG's. variance is a bitch and it probably won't be the only time you're having a downswing. it really is important to keep too the bankroll management.The best you can do in these periods is poker less and try to learn more by following the coachings, watching the video, posting hands and study hands posted by others. doing this will improve you're game which will help a lot when you're downswing has ended. hope this help you and hope you're downswing will end soon.
    • Semesa
      Semesa
      Bronze
      according to ICM trainer i play an 89% correct ICM game. now see my sharkscope(Ipoker network, username is semesa).
      i wish i could only lose $6-10 per day... that would be a huge improvement
    • CityTrader
      CityTrader
      Bronze
      Wow what site are you playing where you recieve a $20 bonus for playing a bunch of $1 tournies and a couple of $5 ones!?!

Have a read of my suckout thread dude...It happens to all of us, just keep your chin-up and keep grinding!! :-)
    • CityTrader
      CityTrader
      Bronze
      QUOTE:
      Did you say you play tournaments? If you mean multi massive tournement then I highly advise you too stop playing these. The SnG articles are mend for 1 table SnG's. Tourney's require a very different approse. You can ofcourse can play these for fun now and again but you really should focus on the SnG's for building you're bankroll.

My question to this is why are there no MTT tutorials on PS??
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Tutorials
      Mtts are not for beginners, they require a larger roll to account for loooong dry spells and they are not the greatest format to steadily build a roll. There are so many variables to take into account it is difficult to make a playchart and strategy that will consistantly get you too and/or through the bubble so it's best to gain experience first, and have mastered the SnG format before you add mtts to your daily meal ticket.

I recommend mtts for fun, as a distraction, to gamble or to test your patience. Personally, I like to take a shot per day at a big prize for cheep, but I don't get over attached to the outcomes or let it affect my other poker goals.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CityTrader

I don't know, but they should be at least for silver members , since when you have $50 playing in MTT doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion.
    • CityTrader
      CityTrader
      Bronze
      *IN REPLY TO DAVIDANGEL POST*

Its funny you should say that because I mainly play MTT's and just the few SNG, normally SNG when Im on a down swing on MTT's...But having said that I have been playing for 5 years now and since the very beginning I have played this way. I have my own strategy which is very complex as one would expect so I can kinda understand why there is no real stragical guide on here. Still, it would be good to have a few articles to help guide some of the new players through what is probably THE most complex area of NLH poker (well this is certainly the way in which I see it). Lets face it, everybody would love to win the WSOP but if there is no guidance in this field everyone on this site will stick to playing ring games and SNG's....If there are ANY real tournament players that help moderate this site then please bear this point in mind for future articles. Anything that can help me take my game to an even higher level is always appreciated.

Happy pokering all :-)
    • CityTrader
      CityTrader
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      Originally posted by CityTrader

I don't know, but they should be at least for silver members , since when you have $50 playing in MTT doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion.
      I agree here, and when I started with my $50 bankroll I played SNG until I had $200. At that point I went onto play $1 - $5 buyin MTT's...I figured I had at least 50 bites at the cherry, and knowing I had the ability to hit at least 5% top 20 finishes I knew I would be making a positive ROI. Silver members seems to be a good starting point on such articles.

Happy pokering all! :-)