Need advice from experinced players

• VicoII
      VicoII
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

1)I started with the 50 capital 2 months ago and now I have around 600$.
      I play only SNG'S and somtimes MTT'S,
      I never used any program of stats or hand anlyzing, or any poker software.
      now at the beggining of this month my main goal (exept of countinue to win) is improve my game by reading,chating and use all the tools I can.maybe some one can give me advice about poker software that fits to SNG'S? cuz I have the elephant licence but I never pkay cash games.

2)is this alright that I'm still playing the 3.50+30 SNG's on fulltilt (super turbu) I know that's preety low for my bankroll, but I feel very confident there. is this OK to stay in a low limit in order to minimize swings and get to my goal more safley?
      ( My goal is minimum of 1000 $ till 1.12.2008)

if somebody want to give me advice or direct me about things like setting goals, moving up the limit... I will be very happy to hear advices from winning expirienced players

thank you very much
      Vico
  • 16 replies
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Hi Vico
      Its not just your bankroll that dictates moving up the limits.
      You should only do it when you feel absolutely confident about it.
      If you are happy at the limits you are at now, carry on until you feel comfortable enough to move up.
      You seem to be doing fine anyway so I would think your target is well within reach and you are right of course, the lower the limits, the lower the variance.
      Well done and good luck.
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Yes play limits you fell comfortable at. I play for example SSS NL50 and my roll is now over 1,5k $.
    • VicoII
      VicoII
      Bronze
      I NEVER PLAY CASH
      MAYBE WHEN I WILL FEEL PERFECT AT SNG'S I WILL START TO LEARN PLAY CASH
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Lol i just wanted to say i also have very conservative buy in policy :D Not that you should play cash ;) Stick to what you are good at ;)
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      If you play super turbo then you may as well go and play roulette or coinflips and play comfortable limits BUT not above your br because you will die on first downswing.
    • VicoII
      VicoII
      Bronze
      Roullete??
      I DON'T THINK THAT IN 2000 ROULLETE GAMES YOU CAN KEEP ON ROI like 8 %
    • VicoII
      VicoII
      Bronze
      it's not very high, but it's stable. unlike roullete.
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VicoII
      it's not very high, but it's stable. unlike roullete.
      Did you ever count how many coinflips you are going tho to actualy cash in super turbo ? Do some math about it and you will realize that this is ev-
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      I don't really want to jump in the fray as to turbo vs non-turbo. From a purely mathematical perspective it makes sense for the TAG style to play non-turbos and the LAG style to play turbos. I play non-turbo TAG and I can often wait out the chum, only play big hands and then munch them up in push or fold stage as they often have no clue how to play, and they pheer my image by then :D
      Personally I ground my roll to 140 on NL10 SSS, then to 200 on NL25.
      Then I started $1 SnG... very very chummy, so I played $2. These were better, still easy and very chummy and since my roll could support it I tried the $5 games. These games are perfect, still chummy, but not all-in with anything, anytime chummy. Often there is only 1 maybe 2 regulars in the game with you, sometimes you are the only shark! The roll is over 300 now, it seems I make about $20 on average per 1-2 hour grind session, and the variance is not to bad at all. (sorry I have no stats, I use ele too)
      I open 4 tables, then open a table everytime one closes and set a time limit to open the last table.
      Soon I will try my hand at $10 games, or maybe NL50 SSS
      If you do like your roulette style uber-turbos I am sure you can find them at a higher limit. Play a few, test your BRM and your skill. You must know that you can only blow your roll with tilt, as you can always drop back to the level you have already mastered.
      These are my thoughts for you, happy chum hunting
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      I play the turbo tournies on FTP (not super-turbo).
      I also have very conservative BRM. I play the $12 SnGs and my Br is $1400.
      davidangel: even at the $12 Sngs there is maybe one other good player but I am usually the best at my table
    • TTT241
      TTT241
      Bronze
      Sklansky suggest for players master cash games first and then move to Tourneyes / SNGs...

Thats why I decided to move from them to FL Holdem and also I want to work on my 7Stud(8) and Omaha (H/L) skills.

TTT
    • SadisticNature
      SadisticNature
      Bronze
      I find almost always Turbo has very few pros and lots of fish. It's a very swingy tournament with a lot of coinflips, but you will play bad players and they will do stupid things that help you cash. Some sites also have 1/2 rake for turbo.

1/2 rake and less experts is enough of an advantage to go +EV albeit not by huge margins.

I find even in normal MTT's you either have to win a significant number of coinflips or get very fortunate on when you make your moves. I've gone out of a lot of tourneys by correctly reading a situation where I reraise all-in on a moderate chip stack vs someone who raised on garbage only to have one of the blinds wake-up with a huge hand.

I mean normal MTTs are turbo compared to 1 hour live tournament blind rounds, and even in 1 hour live tournaments the best players in the world are eliminated often.
    • Balanarm
      Balanarm
      Bronze
      Someone mentioned turbos being coinflips. It's not true as you have an edge over bad players which play too loose or too tight(play bad). Actually there are no coinflips in the poker(seldom), even 1% equity matters in the long run.
    • lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      it was about super turbo's, which are 1 minute blinds on Ipoker (don't know about full tilt though) and whereas 4 minute blind levels allow for skill, 1 minute blind levels don't
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      as for software usage in sng's:

You don't really need it IMO. I'm playing the 22$ ATM, and I dont use a HUD for stats. I do collect reads and make notes though, but stats are difficult to use in sng's. Good players are tight early and loosen up in later stages, so the stat's are biased.

I do however use "sng wizard" for session review, you should check out the free demo (1 month), it's a great program.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      as for software usage in sng's:

You don't really need it IMO. I'm playing the 22$ ATM, and I dont use a HUD for stats. I do collect reads and make notes though, but stats are difficult to use in sng's. Good players are tight early and loosen up in later stages, so the stat's are biased.

I do however use "sng wizard" for session review, you should check out the free demo (1 month), it's a great program.
      I agree, I only use Poker Tracker post game, along with Check Your Bets and a hand replayer.

On full Tilt, I can just quickly mark the regs with a color (I use red) and sometimes if a non
      regular is playing like a fool but getting chips I mark him as well in green. Once the regs are marked..
      (I have 4 tables open), I just watch them for reads and make notes.

I will prolly switch to using the HUD when I get to higher buy ins, but so far as up to $11,
      I have found no need for it.