downloadable video's

• Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      I think it would be cool to download video's in MP4 format. Then i could download some put them on my IPod, and then watch them when I'm out and need something to do.
  • 6 replies
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Hi Ave27,

I think you meant the MP4 format ;) MP3 is a digital audio encoding format.

Well first of all I think you can barely see anything on the small screen of your Ipod. So it would be questionable as why to upload the videos in an Ipod-friendly format.

Second problem is: If we would offer the videos as downloads in avi format for instance we couldn't prevent that somebody abuses our offer and spreads the videos on the Internet. And the videos are supposed to be rewards for our members.

Best regards,
      Chiller3k
    • piraya
      piraya
      Bronze
      If you can watch a video online you can also download it. It's just a matter of know-how. I would also like to be able to view the videos offline since I'm not allways connected to the internet. Am I allowed to do that? I will ofcourse not spread them. I respect Poker Strategy alot and I think the videos should only be available to loyal members.

By the way. Is it possible send private messages here? I did not find a button.

Regards,
      Piraya.
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      No PM's yet. If I remember correctly, they are coming.

You're correct about the know how, but since you shouldn't be spreading the videos, I wouldn't also be spreading the know-how.

It's not hard to figure out just about anything for anyone with just a little bit of motivation to learn, however I agree with Chiller3k that the point of the videos is rewards for motivated members who earn their way through the levels to watch them.

Already, if you search the net, you will find exact duplicates of PokerStrategy.com content. I have reported a few cases. They're still there. Making the videos easily accessible for download would make this problem worse, and it's not really in the best interest of the site.
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Imo it wouldn't make a difference if they were downloadable or not, as if they are viewable, then they ARE effectively recordable/downloadable anyway (I have all the diamond limit videos on my HDD). The reason the videos aren't everywhere already is that everyone who HAS access to all the videos has enough integrity not to torrent it all away.
    • Xantos
      Xantos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TerrorBlade
      The reason the videos aren't everywhere already is that everyone who HAS access to all the videos has enough integrity not to torrent it all away.
      This is just a theory.
      I guess that at max 10% of the people actually know how to get videos to your hard disk and share them on torrent. Just because they don't doesn't mean no one would.

In order to protect the interests of our community, we have to try to protect the content - if it would be free, then the edge of every PokerStrategist would sink.
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TerrorBlade
      Imo it wouldn't make a difference if they were downloadable or not, as if they are viewable, then they ARE effectively recordable/downloadable anyway (I have all the diamond limit videos on my HDD). The reason the videos aren't everywhere already is that everyone who HAS access to all the videos has enough integrity not to torrent it all away.
      I really hope that's true.

I also have every video I've ever watched on this site downloaded. I actually download them before I watch them.

It's just standard practice for me to download ANY video (from any site) that I intend to watch more than once. Streaming something is fine if you happen to be connected to the net and expect to watch it once and be done with it, but anything I think I may potentially refer back to, I save. Anything I expect to actually watch at a later time when I may not be connected, I save.

That way I can play it off my own devices when I need them and can easily skip to the part I want to watch.. a process which is sometimes obnoxious with some of the streaming formats.

Also it allows me to view them on my laptops/Zunes/other portable entertainment devices etc, if I happen to be on the go. (long train trips/flights suck )

I agree with PokerStrategy doing everything they can to make them as hard to distribute as possible, but it makes sense that I would since it has zero effect on how I personally utilize them.