ferko5

• ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Hello all,

let me summarize my poker history shortly. I started with poker back in 2011 after I registered to your page. I received my initial 50$ and started to play with FTP. Unfortunately FTP got broke and I stopped playing because since beginning I made a decision not to put my own money into the poker. Pokerstrategy helped again and I was given 2nd chance at PartyPoker. However after 3 months initial bankroll was taken away and I was starting anew with 12$ on my account. Nowadays I'm playing NL4 6 max tables.
      During this time I gathered some practical experience as well as read through some strategy articles. Now I feel I need more structure in my learning process and that's the reason to participate on the course.
      I took part on some coaching by Bierbaer already and I liked it very much.
      I'm looking forward to learn new stuff and meet interesting people.

Lesson #1 homework
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I love the game because I can influence it a lot by the way I play my cards so it is not pure luck. I take it like a hobby. It is a challenge to play better than opponents because I'm quite competitive and like to win. I hope in the future I will also make some extra money of playing poker too.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I'd say there are many of them and some not even revealed.
      1) Because of my history and decision to not put my own money to poker I think I tend to play more like a nit rather than TAG.
      2) I go to showdown too much to realize I'm really holding the best hand.
      3) It is still difficult for me to lay down pair of Aces post flop even I have good reason to believe I'm beaten. It is better now but still there.
      4) Difficult for is to put opponent on the range and so make right decisions on difficult spots.
      5) I play 2 tables to be able to watch other players. Sometimes it is easy to adopt to their play but sometimes I'm frustrated not being able to find the right line against their play.
      6) I'm 3 betting too tight because I'm afraid/not knowing what would I do post flop if got called.

So far for my weaknesses. As I said there are many of then and I' sure we will find some more during the course.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

TAG for me is to select carefully starting hand based on position and opponents. When it comes to post flop play TAG should preferably be initiative and put pressure on opponents. At the same time TAG should know when it is wise to give up the hand.
  • 20 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello ferko5,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Great work with the first homework. It's very detailed !!!

It looks like you have leaks/weaknesses that most new players experience so with the help of this course (and mine) we can hopefully conquer a few of them.

Best of luck and keep up the good work.

Bogdan
    • ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Hello Bogdan,

I have troubles to open NL Beginners course Overview. Therefore cannot continue with homework for Lesson #2.

I like article dealing with 8 players type. Last days I played at the tables with 2 guys which were very loose and pretty aggressive.I would like to ask you to advise how to adapt preflop range to such guys and what line to take after the flop. I'm adding 2 hands with such guys below. No need to ask for evaluation because it might very well be you to evaluate and I just want to demonstrate certain problem I have with this type of players.

Hand #1
      LAG limps in and calls 2 guys in the hand with J6s. When hitting TP he goes broke and ends up with 2 pairs. Imagine I'm not in the game, guy with AJ is in very good position preflop as well as on Flop. But because LAG is so aggressive and hitting TP he will not give up the hand and he gets second pair. What is very interesting is that flop hits them quite often and I find it difficult to play against them.

Hand #2
      LAG limps in and because I hold AQ OOP I go for raise. But know that LAG will probably call. Flop is quite fine until LAG goes AI. I gave up the hand as I didn't see him do this move before (or even after) this hand.
      But it could very well be a bluff. How to find it out?
      I find it weak to just call if they limp. But some of them are limping whole their range including AA, KK, QQ, AK.

Looking forward to your response.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $4.75
      BU:
      $4.23
      SB (Hero):
      $5.57
      BB:
      $2.97
      MP2:
      $4.35
      MP3:
      $7.26

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7, 7.
      MP2 calls $0.04, MP3 raises to $0.16, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.14, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.52) 5, 7, J (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.50, MP3 raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $5.41, MP2 calls $3.69, MP3 calls $3.91.

Turn: ($15.53) 6 (3 players)

River: ($15.53) T (3 players)

Final Pot: $15.53.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, sevens(7 7).
      MP3 shows a pair of jacks(A J).
      MP2 shows two pairs, jacks and sixes(6 J).

Hero wins with three of a kind, sevens(7 7).

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $3.75
      BB (Hero):
      $3.86
      MP2:
      $4.00
      MP3:
      $4.83
      CO:
      $6.30
      BU:
      $5.90

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, Q.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.04, 2 folds, SB calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.20, MP3 calls $0.16, SB calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.6) 8, 5, Q (3 players)
      SB bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.51, MP3 raises to $4.63(All-In), SB folds, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.15.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Ferko,

Which link do you have trouble with? I am able to open all the pages.

No flop hits a limper very often. It may appear that way because they call with all kinds of garbage and we remember when they hit on us a LOT more than we remember when they miss and just fold.

So you want to continue isolating them and playing for value vs them.

As far as the AQ hand I think the key here is his overall line which is donk min then shove over your big raise. Generally fish that min donk also min 3-bet and not shove with strong hands so I would be temped to call that. Of course I would base my decision on a line that doesn't make much sense and can include weaker Qx hands and draws.
    • ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Hello Bogdan,

thank you for comments. The links are fine now there was some issue for 2-3 days probably linked to design change at pokerstrategy.

Lesson #2 homework

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

First of all I play 6-max tables so I skipped UTG positions from starting hand chart. Next adaptation I did is I never limp in the hand. The only exception is SB, BB where I can get into the hand cheaply. Next think to consider preflop is an opponents. For known guys it is possible to estimate their move so I tighten up or loose up my starting range accordingly. Separate group of opponents are short stacks. Since NL2 I was playing a lot with Australian guy who plays SH strategy. These hands taught me some about SH danger but also opportunities.
      So I pay special attention to people who don't have full stack and it influence my preflop decisions.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Q1: I decided to always raise preflop to 3xBB. What do you think of the raise size? Do you see any reasons to not raise preflop but just limp ?

Q2: I want to start 3-bet more hands than now. Problem I have is if I decide to 3-bet e.g. TT and face 4-bet or AI I'm in difficult situation as on micros it usually means AA, KK, QQ. Or second option opponents just fold.

Q3: Good call?
      I'm BU holding JTs. I open raise to 3 BB and get 3-bet from BB to 10 BB.
      So I have to pay 7 BB to possibly win 100BB if i hit big. Let's assume he is holding something reasonably strong JJ+, AKs, AKo. Equity wise it looks like 70/30 for opponent. Is my call in this situation ok ?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

According to Equilab 46,32 %

Looking forward to your comments.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Ferko,

Good job with homework #2.

Never (open) limping is definitely a good strategy to employ. There are rare cases where you want to limp behind someone but those do not come up often.

Q1: At 2nl I definitely recommend raising bigger UTG/MP, 3x in CO and possibly 2.5x in the BTN (better price for the steal. So really you could experiment with 4x, 3.5x, 3x, 2.5x, 3x

Q2: If you want to 3-bet more look at the opponents. Vs ppl that steal a lot you want to add some bluff. Vs guys that call a lot you want to add more value. 3-betting is definitely a complicated matter :)

Q3: Definitely want to fold these type of hands vs a 3-bet unless you have reads on the BTN. These hands will lose you a lot of money in the long term playing them fit/fold and hoping to hit.
    • ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Hello Bogdan,

thank you for reply.
      Below see L#3 homework.

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Preflop equity of KQ is slightly over 50%.
      On the flop however it is 26,5% for KQ against 73,5 % for set

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

Preflop is a standard or with quite good starting hand.

Flop is also ok for me as we can barely represent something strong and against unknown it is in my opinion good also for pot control reason.

Turn is bringing us NFD and so semi bluff is fine. However we got min raised by BB. On this limit I believe BB is holding big hand. Maybe 44 or set. Size of his raise is giving us 22/91=24% pot ods. Assuming he is worst case holding 44 and one of them is 4c we have 20% equity. So now it is about implied ods. If BB is able to put more money in the pot we can call.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play?

Well, there is a lot to discuss in post flop play as there are 3 streets to be played.
      Holding overpair like AA, KK it is difficult for me to lay it down even I suspect I'm beaten. On the other hand there are quite some guys willing to go broke with TP.
      How to decide for or against c-bet versus unknown opponent on missed flop?
      What makes a lot of sense is to collect information about opponents and then adjust the play accordingly. How do you make notes about interesting hands?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Ferko,

Good job on the homework.

On Q2 we definitely have implied odds so it's a call.

The questions you have for Q3 are quite broad so we can't really tackle every scenario but I'll give you some ideas.

Overpairs should be folded against later street aggression and vs passive guys.

When you cbet it's important to look at positions, stack sizes, action, number of players, hand, board texture.

For example, you are much better off cbetting hands with equity while in position. For example AQhh on Th4d2c.

Re: info on players

Paying attention to their showdowned hands is huge as they tell you how they play the hand. Pay attention to bet sizes used, timing tells, hands, etc. And then notes should be taken when you think a piece of information can help you later on.
    • ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Hello Bogdan,

thank you for response. Below see nex homework.

Lesson #4 homework

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

NL4 AKs

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

so far I was not lucky to catch hand that was not evaluated yet.
      Will try again next time.

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Rule of thumb I learned during last coaching says I have 10 outs, so 10*4+2=42.
      By equilab it is 41,41% exactly.
      I'm quite surprised rule of thumb is so accurate. Very useful skill.

Video mentioned in Lesson 4 - Who is your opponent - NL 5 - doesn't work.
      The same for Elephant. :(
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Ferko,

Congrats on the next homework. It is complete !!!

Feel free to evaluate hands that have been evaluated as well. You can try to ignore/hide the message from the coach until after you post your own response.

And yes, Elephant is no longer working. It hasn't been for a while now.
    • ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Lesson #5 homework

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.
      I don't use any stats and don't have HUD. There are 2 reasons for that. Don't have software that can provide me HUD yet and as recreational player I'm trying to focus on what's going on at the tables. I'm watching opponents and making notes if something interesting happens e.g. PS bet on River on busted draw.
      Moreover at my limit I'm not meeting the same opponents often and if I do i rely on my notes.
      Nevertheless below see one hand which I played different way as against unknown because I had reading and knew opponent quite well.

Playing with reading

KJs squeeze

I was lucky this time and found hand which was not yet evaluated.
      I find it quite difficult to do evaluation because I don't feel experienced enough :-)
      Great respect to your work guys.
      I also see it a great opportunity to learn how other people are resolving difficult spots and what is opinion of professional judges.
      I can see they are mostly advising to be quite tight and conservative.

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6Diamond , 7Diamond
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3Diamond , 3Heart , TDiamond (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) JDiamond (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

On Turn we completed flush. SB bets big after he checked flop. I think with TT or JJ he would probably 3-bet preflop. Therefore I would put him on JT, JQ, JK maybe A3 or higher flush. As another diamond wouldn't be good for us I propose to 3-bet something like 4$ - 5$.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with JHeart , JSpade
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6Heart , 9Spade , TClub (2 players)
      Hero...

given his 3-bet stats it could be AK, AQ, even AJ or smaller pair which he 3-bets. It can be even wider BU vs CO. Therefore I think we are still ahead and propose to bet something like 1,5 $
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Ferko,

Good job with homework #5.

I understand why you do not use a HUD/tool yet but it may be something for the future when you will either move up higher or play more tables. It's also a great tool to just track your progress and hand histories (if nothing else).

You can always evaluate hands that have been evaluated as well (just ignored the message from the coach until after you've posted your answer).

Keep up the good work,

Bogdan
    • ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan,

here is my homework for Lesson #6

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

Slowplay ?

z00m nl10

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with QHeart , JHeart
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3Heart , JClub , ADiamond (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) QClub (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

What action would you take, and why?

So on Turn we are HU with quite strong hand against calling station and IP. His bet and bet size can mean a strong hand. I don't expect him to bet with draw like FD or gutshot. If we raise he will probably fold worse hands and continue just with strong/nuts. Therefore I would just call for pot control and see what is his action on River.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Congrats on the latest homework.

Keep up the good work.

Bogdan
    • ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Hello Bogdan,

below my homework for Lesson #7.

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have played on a 6-max table (short-handed).

AT oop

set vs flush

In fact I play shorthanded tables since the very beginning. I never played full ring tables except several freerol tournaments but that's different story.
      Do you find it ok to start SH instead of FR?

I'm glad that hand evaluation is part of pokerstrategy. I find it very useful source of information and way to improve my game.

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members

once again I didn't find not evaluated hand so will not do it now. If I find something later on I will add new post.

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB (Hero) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5heart , 4heart
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) 3spade , 2Heart , Qheart (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO Raises All-in, BU calls All-in, SB folds, Hero...

Difficult situation and difficult decision. We have to pay 8,4$ to win 22$ in the pot. This gives us 8,4/22*100 roughly 38%. So this is the equity we need to make profitable call. We have combo but not NFD. In case any of remaining 2 opponents is holding 2 hearts our equity drops down dramatically. Anyway I vote for call as there might be sets or even overpairs like AA, KK pushing.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO (Hero) ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Aclub , Kspade
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) Aspade , 4club , 4diamond (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.20, Hero...

On the flop we are holding strong hand. But due to paired board it can very well be way ahead way behind situation. We have no information on opponents and there is still one to act behind. Therefore I would just call.

I'm just about to move from NL4 to NL10. I'm a bit afraid if I'm skilled enough to beat it :-)
      Can you give me some advise what should I do/consider while moving one limit higher (even still just micro) ?
      I have 29BI's of NL10 and plan to move higher once I reach 30BI's.

thank you
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Ferko,

Good job with homework #7.

It is now complete.

You can start either with SH or FR but a lot of players choose FR as it's a bit more of a passive game (suites new players better).
    • ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan,

I decided to continue SH at NL10 cos I never played FR.
      I'm starting with one table to get used to higher bet sizes etc.

I have one question regarding table selection. How to approach it and based on what to decide what table is good or better.

Thank you
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Generally looking for people that have between 60-99 BB is a good start.

Someone with 78bbs has a high chance of being recreational.

You can also sort by players/flop or vpip and join those tables.

But since you play one table and your focus is to learn just try to get one fish on the table and that's it.
    • ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Homework L#8

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation.

Overpair

Combo push

Again I cannot find post that is not evaluated already and don't wan to take one that is commented by pro judge.

$100 NL Hold'em (9 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($100)
      UTG+1 ($100)
      MP1 ($100)
      MP2 ($100)
      Hero ($100)
      CO ($100)
      BU ($100)
      SB ($100)
      BB ($100) (18/15/3.7/23/732)[VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8heart , 9heart
      4 folds, Hero raises to $4.00, 3 folds, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($8.50) 3heart , 6Heart , 8diamond (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5.50 BB calls $5.50

Turn: ($19.50) Jheart (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero...

On turn I would fire second barrel 15$ to 16$ as we hit flush. It is not nut flush but still probably best hand. So value bet and also partially protection against Ah, Kh vilain could have.

BONUS Question 4 (optional question): Consider the following situation:

$200 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      MP2 (Hero) ($327.95)
      MP3 ($207.45)
      CO ($415.55) (TAG)
      BU ($373.60) (TAG)
      SB ($200.00)
      BB ($218.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7heart , 8heart
      Hero raises to $7, 1 folds, CO raises to $23, BU calls $23, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $16

Flop: ($72) 7club , 8spade , 8diamond (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU bets $52, Hero calls, CO calls

Turn: ($228) Kdiamond (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU checks

River: ($228) Qheart (3 players)
      Hero bets $110, CO raises to $340.55 (All-in), BU folds, Hero?

What factors and concepts that you have learned so far would you use in evaluating this situation? What would your action be?

BU's line looks like PP - nines, tens or jacks.
      CO's 3-bet and call on flop represents strong hand. What is confusing me is his slowplay on 2 streets.
      Hero's slowplayed flop seems ok, but on turn I would definitely bet to build the pot.
      River is very tricky as we are either way ahead vs AA, AK, AQ, KQ type of hands or way behind vs KK, QQ. If vilain is holding just QQ, KK or AA it is still 50% equity and if we add AK and AQ we can safely call his push imo.
    • ferko5
      ferko5
      Bronze
      Finally I've got one not commented hand evaluation post :-)

NL10 SH Speed AA SB vs MP Overpair