All in on bubble against chipleader

• matrozrabbi
      matrozrabbi
      Basic
      So I'm quite a beginner, I was playing a 1.10$ deepstack turbo tournament last night with 49 participants.
      After a few deals I became chipleader, and restained my position for an hour and a half or so when this loose aggressive guy overtakes me in stack when we're down to 10 players. I noticed that he was frequently trying to steal from btn/co/hj much more often as we were approaching the bubble (9 players got payed). So 5 players on table and this happens:

I'm on BTN, Villain in CO. Other 3 players tightened up hard.

Stacks:
      SB: 12,849
      BB: 10,375
      HJ: 11,516
      CO (Villain): 25,235
      BTN (Hero): 25,195

Ante: 125
      SB:500
      BB:1000

HJ folds, Villain raises to 3,000.

Since he was loose and stealing quite a lot I felt good about my Q :diamond: Q :spade: .

I raised him to 10,000. SB folds, BB folds. He raises all in, and I figure since he's CO and frequent stealer he might have something, but the range he can have must be wide. Also we're at bubble, and that he's CL, which I think he was aware of that it applies quite a pressure when he raises to all in.

I am aware that I'm slight fav over AK (about 55:45) and it would be still too much of a risk to go all in against a chip leader on bubble with this. But the only real threats would be AA or KK, but I found it unlikely that he has any of these in this situation.

SO.. I call and he shows A :spade: Q :club: . I'm not nervous since I'm fav 7:3, and then the cards come of course:

8 :spade: A :club: 3 :heart: 9 :club: 8 :heart:

and I'm busted as #10.

My question is if this was a huge mistake I made there, should've just folded and wait patienty for someone to bust?
      I was using bubble pressure to help my read on him. Still I know that probably if I wasn't going all in here and just let go of my QQ, I would end up ITM. It's not that I'm crying over a few bucks, I just felt that I was playing real good in this tournament from the beginning. I know this happens, and I don't feel angry or upset, I'm just curious what you guys think about it. Keep in mind that I'm beginner. Thanks!
  • 8 replies
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      in my opinion these small MTTs are just not worth the mincash, if u play them u want to ship them, so i would go with those queens for sure...
    • matrozrabbi
      matrozrabbi
      Basic
      Thanks for your reply! :)
      What happens if we play on higher stakes? Does it make it a faulty call?
      And what would you say if I simply haven't said anything about the stakes, just the other info? I mean strictly strategically?
    • acerbikas
      acerbikas
      Bronze
      In my opinion, you are shipping here for the win since you would be crushing your opponents in stacksize.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I prefer to 3-bet all-in in these situations rather than 3-betting 3xish like you did because when you 3bet AI we are putting pressure on our opponent more effectively and we are putting the hard decision on him rather than on us.
    • Hashkan
      Hashkan
      Bronze
      Easy game right here, 3bet small/call to make hes range wide, stack off on any flop without a A or K. If A or K hit on flop, fold to any significant action. I dont think he will try to bluff the biggest stack of hes opponents, and if he does, well then we gonna win on the majority of flops.

Not even advanced hand, just standard.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey matrozrabbi!

First of all I want to welcome you to PokerStrategy.com!

Secondly I moved your thread to the tournament forums. Not because you 'misplaced' the thread but because coaches lurk around here and they evaluate hands.

I don't play MTT's myself. It looks to me like you played the hand fine. I would 3bet smaller though, but again I'm not an MTT player.

Best regards

RasTweet
    • matrozrabbi
      matrozrabbi
      Basic
      I'm really glad you guys answered! :) Helps a lot to improve my play :)
    • Hashkan
      Hashkan
      Bronze
      Np.

If it is under 22BB effective however, just shove all ur reraise range, over 22bb, 3bet 2,1x hes raise.