Terminolgy Question - Hand into a bluff.

• Zealc
      Zealc
      Bronze
      I hope someone can explain this to me. While studying, I keep coming across the phrase 'turned a made hand into a bluff'. I was hoping that the meaning would become clear over time but I'm afraid I still don't grasp it.

Can someone try to explain what this means please?
  • 7 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey Zealc,

Turning a made hand into a bluff is basically exactly what it says. You are betting with a made hand, with which you don't expect to get called by worse.

For example, say you have 98s on a A92 board. If your opponent bets and you raise him, you're never going to get called by a worse hand. Therefore, you are turning your pair of nines into a bluff.

There will be cases where it's good to turn made hands into a bluff, and cases where it will be better to take the passive approach instead and just check or call those hands. However, each hand is different, so it's impossible for me to outright tell you when you should or shouldn't be turning made hands into bluffs :)

Hopefully that makes sense!

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • Zealc
      Zealc
      Bronze
      Hey Tinolaan

Thanks for the straight forward answer, yes I think it makes sense now.

For example with that 98s hand on the A92 board, if you had a very aggressive player, with a high c-bet% then check-call might be the better option. If you had a loose passive player then check-raising might bluff him off an A with a poor kicker or even a hand like K9 Q9 etc.

Am I on the right tracks?
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Yep, you're definitely on the right track now. Of course it's never as simple as that, and every situation is different.

For example, if a loose passive players that almost never cbets, bets on that kind of board, maybe you should even just be folding right away. Even if that seems super nitty. And like you said, against very aggressive players it will indeed be better to just call these types of hands.

But of course it goes further than that. Let's say that you now have A2 and raise pre flop from the button and the flop comes 752 after one of the blinds calls. You have a made hand now, but it's basically worthless. Yet you can still make a cbet here usually. Now assume the turn and river are a Q and K (with no flushes completing). These are two great cards to continue betting on, since it's unlikely your opponent has either a K or Q, and better hands than yours are very likely to fold. So that would be a great spot to turn your hand into a bluff, even though you have a very weak made hand.

But the same could apply if you had for example 76s on that same board runout. While your pair of 7s might be good more often than a pair of 2s (like in the above example), it's still a very weak hand on the river, and betting three times wouldn't be a bad thing to get better hands to fold, such as better 7x, pocket pairs, or even a random Qx if he called with overcards on the flop. So that would be a great spot to turn a made hand into a bluff. There is no value in betting with it, but better hands might fold.

I might be going a bit too much in-depth here though, hopefully I'm not confusing you too much! :f_biggrin:

Just drop another message if anything is unclear or if you want to know more :)
    • Zealc
      Zealc
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, it makes much more sense now. Another gap filled :)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      You're very welcome, glad I could help :)
    • coolpokername
      coolpokername
      Bronze
      "These are two great cards to continue betting on, since it's unlikely your opponent has either a K or Q,....."

Why do you think opponent is unlikely to have a K or Q?

If I'm in the blinds it's easy to call a PF raise from the button. My thinking is the buttons range is pretty wide and I'm sort of getting a discount on the raise from paying the blind. And with a K or Q as an overcard I'll call at least the flop and turn bets
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Maybe you would, but not everyone does. Most people at lower limits are pretty straightforward imo and won't really float all that often with just overcards. Whereas you are thinking about button's range when you call from the blinds, most people will just see their cards and start clicking buttons.

Either way, I'm just giving a general example here. I'm not saying you should always be betting three times on such boards with such hands. Of course not, because every situation is different. It was just a quick example to illustrate the concept of turning made hands into bluffs.

To go a bit further though, perhaps he does have a Q. But will he then call another bet if you fire the river again? Or will he call the turn again with just a K? The latter probably not, and the former will also be very tough for him, facing three streets of aggression and being out of position.

Again, I'm not saying you should always fire three barrels in this spot, and some players will definitely be able to show up with a K or Q by the river from time to time. But it was just an example :)