Titan redirecting me to Ladbrokes

• sillywilly
      sillywilly
      Bronze
      Went to check out Titan before joing through here and I get redirected to Ladbrokes. Did Titan pull out of Canada as well as the Netherlands and Finland?
  • 30 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey sillywilly,

Sadly, Titan are pulling out of Canada. The announcement was initially made with Finland and the Netherlands but the terms of the pullout are different.

This is the email Canadian players are receiving:

Important Announcement to Canadian Players

As part of our commitment to adhere to local government regulations, Titan Poker has decided to cease its activity in Canada.

You will be able to log into your account and play our games until Sunday, December 22nd. If you desire to make a withdrawal, please do so within this time period. Our 24/7 Support Team will remain available for any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

TITAN POKER

So naturally they won't allow new accounts to be created.

Hope this helps

Laz
    • sillywilly
      sillywilly
      Bronze
      Thanks, I had heard that they were planning to but then decided to keep allowing Canadian players. Is there any word as to whether the rest of the network will be closing their doors to Canada, after dropping US currency?
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Why are they leaving Canada? What of other poker sites?
    • sillywilly
      sillywilly
      Bronze
      Probably because of some out dated law that has never been prosecuted. And from what I have seen it is because of their EuroPartner affiliation.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I hope other poker sites don't follow, that would be horrendous.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by sillywilly
      Probably because of some out dated law that has never been prosecuted. And from what I have seen it is because of their EuroPartner affiliation.
      To the best of my knowledge, there is no legal hindrance to online poker in Canada.

Some provinces have their own online poker sites, but the limits are sky-high (or were the last time I checked).

OK, I just called their support line, and the have NL 4 hold'em.
      So that is not too bad.

It is getting tougher and tougher to play from here, since everything is geared toward Euro zone times.

Peace,
      --VS
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Yeah the 5 hour difference can be a killer. Thanks for the info Vorpal, I was just scared other poker sites may leave and then big sites like PokerStars going too (unlikely).
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      Is it true that Playtech/Titan was bought by Ladbrokes?
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by WinStrat
      Is it true that Playtech/Titan was bought by Ladbrokes?
      I highly doubt that, because Titan Poker was actually owned by Playtech. As far as I know, Playtech was at least speculating on investing in Ladbrokes Poker, as the latter was having some serious profit issues. In the end this investment did go through, and Playtech got themselves a 3% stake of the Ladbrokes shares to try and help improve their financial situation (of course in a win-win situation for Playtech).

So I don't think Playtech really bought Ladbrokes, but they certainly did invest in it. If anybody could confirm this, that'd be great.
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      This is the email Canadian players are receiving:

Important Announcement to Canadian Players

As part of our commitment to adhere to local government regulations, Titan Poker has decided to cease its activity in Canada.

You will be able to log into your account and play our games until Sunday, December 22nd. If you desire to make a withdrawal, please do so within this time period. Our 24/7 Support Team will remain available for any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

TITAN POKER
      Government regulations from Canada or from where Titan Poker is located?

And what "local government regulations" are we talking about exactly?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator

Government regulations from Canada or from where Titan Poker is located?

And what "local government regulations" are we talking about exactly?
      Good point WinStrat.

Perhaps some jurisdictions in Canada have laws I don't know about.

I could not go to Titan's website to find out -- I was redirected to Ladbrokes.

For that reason, I'm guessing that your guess is correct -- this has more to do with Titan's location that anything.

If it was strictly due to Canadian regulations, then Ladbrokes would not be an option either, would it?

I have my fingers crossed. :s_confused: :s_confused:

I've asked to see if any of the mods has further information on this.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, all
      HannesZ, one of our head admins informs me that this affects both Titan and Mansion.

All other iPoker skins are unaffected.

Existing players w/o a balance will no longer be able to play.
      Existing players with a balance will be able to play until Dec 22, however the email quoted above would suggest that it would be wise to withdraw ASAP in order to avoid problems.

New players are no longer able to sign up with Titan or Mansion from Canada.

Best of luck to you all...
      --VS
    • sillywilly
      sillywilly
      Bronze
      Nice that Mansion didn't send me an email, lol. It would make more sense for the sites with sports betting to pull out as I'm pretty sure that Canada still has a law against online betting on the outcome of a single sporting event.
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      Titan Poker is not just a small skin on the iPoker network. They are owned by Playtech who is providing the software for the iPoker platform.

I don't know what share of their player pool was from Canada but they had good promotions for Canadian players.

Excluding Canadians just out of the blue like that is a very strange move by Titan Poker.

And the reason given by Titan is less than complete to say the least.

I'd really like to see PokerStrategy writing an article about that situation.
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      I just got an email from Ladbrokes this morning saying they will move to iPoker on December 21 2013.

I don't think this is a coincidence that we have until December 22 2013 to withdraw our money from Titan.

Playtech, who owns Titan, also hold a 3% share of Ladbrokes according to articles on the net.

Now why Titan wants to move Canadians to Ladbrokes, beats me...

Must be some kind of "law" I don't know about.

I just hope Ladbrokes will have good promotions for Canadians like Titan had.

I'd really like to see PokerStrategy writing an article about this whole situation.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      What's funny about this is that there is no current or "soon to be" legislation in Canada that would affect Titan. So I don't know what this is all about.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      I just got an email from Ladbrokes this morning saying they will move to iPoker on December 21 2013.

I don't think this is a coincidence that we have until December 22 2013 to withdraw our money from Titan.

Playtech, who owns Titan, also hold a 3% share of Ladbrokes according to articles on the net.

Now why Titan wants to move Canadians to Ladbrokes, beats me...

Must be some kind of "law" I don't know about.

I just hope Ladbrokes will have good promotions for Canadians like Titan had.

I'd really like to see PokerStrategy writing an article about this whole situation.
      Hmm...

I tried to get an answer from Titan support about what exactly this "legislation" is that is affecting Titan. They couldn't give me an answer. I found an article online about this situation and that article confirmed my suspicions that there is no legislation at all.

Wouldn't there be a better way to migrate people over to a new site rather than by telling them to take their business elsewhere?
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      As of today, Dec 5, Titan Poker will keep Canadians after all.

They are even offering a "Welcome Back Bonus" to Canadians.

Like I said before, PokerStrategy should really be writing an article about this whole Titan situation.

Can you at least make a post why you think this whole Titan flip-flop is not worth even a mention in an article?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      As of today, Dec 5, Titan Poker will keep Canadians after all.

They are even offering a "Welcome Back Bonus" to Canadians.

Like I said before, PokerStrategy should really be writing an article about this whole Titan situation.

Can you at least make a post why you think this whole Titan flip-flop is not worth even a mention in an article?
      I can't make any posts, as I really know nothing about this.

As of this moment, I am still redirected to Ladbrokes when I try to browse to http://www.titanpoker.com

Can you point use to the source of your information?

I have alerted the ninjas to your post, and hopefully we'll find out more.

Thanks for the alert!
      --VS