Hello everyone

• iMumu
      iMumu
      Bronze
      Well umm... hi :P

i just started playing online poker a couple of weeks ago, so far made accounts on winner and poker777 (via pokerstrategy) and thats about it.

in this short time i figured i prefer tournaments system to ring games, and im still learning :) Quite frankly, i dont think i know like 5% of whats there to know about poker but i guess i got lucky and in last 3 days i won about $90 in mtt's (some sngs with $0,5 - $1)

also my biggest win so far is 4th place for $43, where i got kicked for being stupid, gone all in vs chipleader with 2 pairs on flop, with 2 hearts on the flop (me having Q9 with another Q9 on the flop.... was too much to resist for a newbie like me, and yes i was a bit scared of hearts considering he called all in but i still called lol... and then he showed his AK :heart: (found heart icon on the left side, im getting good at this lol).

i still had like 50ish % to win so was a bit of a coinflip situation but i lost it. Not mad that i lost it, im mad because i didnt listen to myself. I was 100% convinced he has 2 strong hearts (god how odd does that sound), based on his play prior to that hand but i still called :/

Mind you i was a chipleader for like 1,30hrs on that tourney, til i started making stupid calls so i know i can improve a lot, and im not hiding im a newbie. I guess i just got lucky in last few days :P

i know it doesnt sound much to you guys but as i just started and so far only deposited at winner, im quite happy with it heh

ah and yesterday i played my best poker so far (i think :D ) and won a freeroll (just $20 1st place but there were 300 people in it, and only first 5 places were in the money so thats why i like it more than 4th place one, which netted me twice as much) :D and also joined another 2 x 0.5$ sngs and got in the money on both (just 70ish people per tourney though).

long story short - m a newb and i want to learn, i have no clue what most of things you guys talk about on forums mean, heck i didnt know whats a fish til i joined here, lol

so i want to learn, but i dont want to become a machine that will only play same set of cards regardless of situation. I fear how with every article i read, i become a bit more .. automatized. And while i realize thats needed in poker im afraid how too much of it would take all the fun out of poker for me :/

I do try to adjust to my opponents. As much as it is possible for a newbie, thats it. Im kinda just using common sense, how profitable would this or that call be (more or less lol), and paying attention to what other people at my table do. I even watch other table once mtt goes down to just 2 tables, and im not involved on my table that much.

so here am i, now going back to reading a few more articles on this site.

ps: im sorry i just wanted to make a short newbie lost in pokerland type of thread, and it ended up like.. this. so i wont mind it if nobody reads it, really :D
  • 13 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey iMumu,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com. :]

If I had those sort of results after my 1st 2 weeks of online poker, I would be over the moon. Clearly you learn fast and act on what you learn.

Don't beat yourself up over the Q9. I would have done the same thing hoping he had 2 hearts. He's 2 to 1 to hit his flush but naturally can win in other ways by getting runner runner.

For those tricky hands, you should post in the Hand Evaluation Forums and our expert hand judges will advise on whether you played the hand in an optimal manner.

Don't underestimate your performance. When I first started I used to be stoked just to win a few cents in a freeroll. :f_biggrin:

No need to apologise for the length of the post. I've enjoyed reading it and hope to read more of your successes.

Happy Grinding

Laz
    • iMumu
      iMumu
      Bronze
      Ty Lazza, again :) )

Well its not the strength of my hand that bothers me, its more that i was 100% sure its a bad decision but in the end i still made the call :P

also i just tried playing some zoom (fast games?) on winner/777 and i dont know what to think about it... i lost $10 :D

but thats not what im worried about, i only played like 200-300 hands but i figured you'd need a bit bigger budget to play zoom because more often than not you miss flop (i know i do, like 95% of the time, regardless of my starting hand) and when i finally hit something i cant bait anyone to put any money into the pot :D

and a few times i managed to do it, it ended up pretty ugly. once i finally managed to win a few hands (climbed from $2 to $4,5), i have gone all in with trips K's vs quad 8's lol.

the thing is , even if im sure other people miss their flop too, i cant be sure theys didnt have pocket pair AND even if i think they have absolutely nothing, i got no budget to call/reraise their bet :/

so i think im going back to freerolls/sngs grinding, i also like the system more because people cant fold everything but QQ KK AK etc and it gives you more options postflop, imo.
    • iMumu
      iMumu
      Bronze
      ok heres, a little sad lol, update.

i kind of busted playing min stakes zoom, figured im not good enough yet for those... but it was a little bit too late :=/

lost last $40 i had on winner, and down to like $1 on poker777 so gonna try one last sng to climb back if not i guess im gonna take a little break for now.

Also watched some high stakes NL hands to motivate myself a bit (on winner), but i think it had totally undesired effect on me - instead of making me more hungry to succeed, it made me less motivated lol - people staking like 1k per hand. And i was playnig a frerrol for 4,5hrs for $20 so i just closed the client and went off to bed :evil:

so i guess there goes my short poker career :P

guess it serves me right, i was already aware how i dont have a budget for this thing (nor skill i suppose) but on top of that its unreal how many times i lost all-in on the river to people with <8% chance to win, i swear it happened like 90% of the time :f_cry:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey iMumu!

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

Shame to hear you busted your roll :( Well almost. But don't give up! There are lots of people that busted rolls in the beginning of they career.

But if I'm reading this correctly you lost about $100 in a couple of days? Sounds to me like you had a bad bankroll management. Have you ever heard about bankroll management? This article talks about bankroll management for cash games. This articles is for the bankroll management when playing MTT's. Bankroll management is very very important when playing poker! It protects your bankroll and allows you to keep playing without going busto.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask them. It doesn't matter if they are complete beginners questions, we are here to help you.

Best regards

RasTweet
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey iMumu,

That's sad to hear. :( . But I'm sure you'll have another crack.

Never try to emulate high stakes players at micro limits. High stakes can be more about 'My balls are bigger than your balls', than playing hand ranges or making +EV plays.

Also if you are having problems deciding whether to bet the flop, than keep this figure in your mind.... 68%.

What is the significance of this figure. This is how often your opponent will be unimproved by the flop. Naturally this figure applies to you too.

If you go to the flop 3 handed then it's 68% x 68% that both your opponents will miss the flop, which is 46%.

This figure combined with the texture of the flop and your opponents known tendencies should be taken into account when deciding whether to bet the flop.

Hope to see you back

Laz
    • iMumu
      iMumu
      Bronze
      Thank you both Tweet and Lazza for your replies :P

Lazza, that one was especially useful for a newbie like me. I did read quite a few articles on this site, but theres just too much of it that sometimes i miss something important :)

@Tweet
      yes, gently put i 'almost' busted, got down to 15 cents on winner (lol) and 40ish cents on poker777.

Yesterday i started playing 10 cents hyper (10 cents lol) and managed to win some, so started 3x sngs and got in the money on 2 of those and got back to like 15$ on poker777... then again tried nl0 (newbie nl fast games thing) and almost busted again, got down to $2 :f_frown: :f_cry:

also realized you need lots of luck when playing mtt's , yesterday on weekly winner freeroll i literally got knocked out by 3 bad beats in a row (2x had a straight vs flush and last one was all in with trip A's, i think its called trip, still learning :p).

so now with my last few bucks im going back to grinding 10 cents hypers on poker777 and just gonna play freeroll mtt's (or $0,5-$1 guaranteed mtts, like one with $1500 guaranteed for $1, i think that one is worth a shot... or not?).

so all in all.. it was a pretty hectic start of my poker career, with just $10 initial deposit on winner, i did manage to get a few cashouts before but it was just like a bit over $100 (and was at the very start of my career, like a few weeks ago :D ) so that money is long gone lol, and also got to almost $100 BR on winner + poker777 combined before going busto.

now im kind of hanging there, and lets see if i manage to climb up again because right now i cant afford to deposit anything meaningful (could deposit maybe $10-$20 but that wont get me far i suppose, at least thats my impression after reading some forum articles on this site).

ah and almost forgot, had a few euros on paddy sports betting site, so i transfered like 3 euros to their poker acc.... which activated my first deposit bonus (i got like $8 first deposit bonus now... lol!) which translates in about $5 so i guess im just gonna use it to play 10x $0,5 sngs and see how far that gets me).

ah and im not multitabling (or im playing 3 tables at most) because im just not good enough for that and i lose concentration fast, or go all in on wrong table :f_mad:

ty for your words of support both of you, ah and also got my 1st deposit freerol on paddy tomorrow so there is still hope (it pays well so im hoping i can finish in top 10 or so there which would make me feel a little bit better about that wasted 1st deposit bonus) =)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey again!

I'm on my phone right now so sorry for typos. I usually don't reply when on my phone but really wanted to get back to you. You're saying that a small deposit won't help. But read this news article it's about me. I never deposited and recently made my first $1k.

So don't give up!

Rastweet
    • iMumu
      iMumu
      Bronze
      Thx rasta :P i read ur blog (and some other blogs too) but i just dont see myself winning that much without a decent BR, but u never know right :f_biggrin:

im going mostly up and down.. and up and down, with my few $ i got left on those 3 sites lol

later today im gonna try playing 5-6x 0.5$ sng (mtt ones) and also got 3 freerolls scheduled so hopefully i can climb up a bit. also, managed to get silver status here (not really sure how i did i though) so im happy because now i can read more stuff and watch more videos so lets see how does that pan out.

cheers and thx for ur words of support :f_love:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi and congratulations on getting silver, that will open up so much more material for you. Hopefully that will help speed you along the road to crushing those games! :s_cool:

I would also like to add my 2c worth of encouragement. I to started with nothing in freerolls, simply because I had no money to deposit. That was about 5 years ago now and I'm still here - just! :D I built 4 bankrolls from freerolls then moving to microstakes, using the brilliant resource material on here was very successful at it.
      I do know the game has changed and moved on, whichever game type you play, but at the very small stakes people are still very poor players.

Anyway, the main thing is to have determination and patience - oh and have fun!

Take care,

Mal.
    • iMumu
      iMumu
      Bronze
      ty gadget too :)

well i think i had enough for next few days, managed to climb up to 15ish bucks on 2 sites, played some knockout + sngs and this is how my last knockout tourney looked like...

mind you, it was my first (and only hand lol) in that tourney, which was also last tourney for now :D

Known Players:
      UTG3: 8527 - 0 bb
      MP1: 17932 - 0 bb
      MP2: 968 - 0 bb
      MP3: 4998 - 0 bb
      CO: 32440 - 0 bb
      BU: 25295 - 0 bb
      BB: 5 - 0 bb

0/0 No Limit Hold'em Tournament (7 Handed)
      Hand recorder for this hand: PokerStrategy.com SideKick 2.0.1129.3

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:spade: , Q:heart:
      4 pays ante, Hero pays ante (20), 2 pays ante, UTG3 calls, MP1 raises for 17912, MP2 folds, Hero calls, CO folds, BU calls, UTG3 folds, BU gets uncalled back (7363)

Flop: (41127 - 0 bb) J:heart: , T:diamond: , 9:heart: (4 Players)

Turn: (41127 - 0 bb) 2:heart: (4 Players)

River: (41127 - 0 bb) 7:heart: (4 Players)

edit: it doesnt show , but i lost to A :heart: flush :f_confused: :f_cry:
      Comment
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Welcome to our community iMumu! :)
    • Yonose
      Yonose
      Bronze
      Welcome
    • pelbonek
      pelbonek