Advice for buying poker chips ?

• PokerProfits
      PokerProfits
      Bronze
      Want to buy 500 poker chips. Mainly for a home games of 6 ppl, but cross my mind that on occasion more players may come. (max10)

The game will be sit`n`go type, but I am thinking at allowing a max of two re-buys per person (in the first half hour of the tournament).

I`d need your advice to get an idea of how to build the chip configuration, at what I am actually thinking is this:

4 color chip values - $1, $5, $25, and $100.

150 chips of $1, 175 chips of $5, 100 chips of $25 and only 75 chips of $100.

- Do you think is this chip configuration good, or what should I change at it ?

- Should I buy more chip denominations or any different chip denominations ?

I am thinking to buy from this online store: card-shuffler.com

- Have you ever ordered anything from them ? - Can I trust them ?
  • 4 replies
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      maybe 50/100/500/1000 would be better?
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      When I first started hosting a monthly home game a few years ago I found this site helpful: Home Poker Tourney

It should answer a lot of your questions - for instance if you are planning on buying 500 chips in 4 color denominations - it recommends a 4/3/2/1 configuration - i.e. 200 of lowest denomination, 150 of 2nd lowest, 100 of second highest,and 50 of highest...

I bought my chips before poker really caught on and a cheap set of 500 was a serious investment, now you can buy a case of 500 at a lot of retail stores pretty cheap. I'd check there before going online, unless you were looking to get customized chips.

There are also some good tournament poker timers you can download and put up on a screen for people to easily see the blind levels / structure, etc... (Pokerstars has a nice free timer called PS Clock available in the Apple store if you have an iPhone/iPad.) For re-buys, I suggest that you allow re-buys until the end of a certain blind level (instead of just saying 30 minutes...) - I usually say until the end of the 3rd or 4th level.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Moved to the correct forum :)
    • Yonose
      Yonose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rihard4a
      maybe 50/100/500/1000 would be better?
      these and maybe some 20