Deep play and opponent types

• ittapiros
      ittapiros
      Bronze
      Hello!

There are two things I need some help with:

I'm sure it's pretty obvious to most people but I'm too stupid to work it out in my head for now... How should we adjust our play when playing deep (150BB+) and should we adjust more when are effectively deeper (200+ vs 200+ opponent)?

Is there any up to date article about most common opponent types in PLO and how to adjust to them? This is I'm sure something that would become automatic sooner or later, but if I could get some guideline it might save me some frustration and time, in that case I'm all for it... : S

Thanks!
  • 1 reply
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      You can use the old 4 types of players. They are either loose or tight, and passive or aggressive. That way you get:

Loose-passive (calling stations)
      Loose-aggressive
      Tight-passive (nits)
      Tight-aggressive

Against them:

Loose-passive: Basicly you just play valuepoker. Don't bluff that much, and make thinner valuebets.

Loose-aggressive: You can either embrace the variance and fight fire with fire (flipaments!) or you can let him hang himself. Trap and slowplay, but make sure you know what you are doing. If you bluff, make sure it looks like committing bluff.

Tight-passive: Give him a lots of pressure. Depending on opponent, 2- or 3-barreling should do the job.

Tight-aggressive: We all have leaks, your job is to find his.

What comes to playing deep, the most important difference is that it's harder to commit yourself. This makes playing oop even worse, as you can't get the stack in on the turn. Like if you flop a set oop, with 100bb stacks you can get most of the stack in on the turn. With deeper stacks you can't, so if you open your hand face up on the turn you will have a tough time on the river.

Also you can't just 4bet aces and jam the flop anymore.

So when playing deep, you REALLY want to have the position unless the opponent has huge leaks.