This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Constructing Ranges - passive defence in SB/BB

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Lets assume we are playing in the Micros < NL10. Villain ATS from CO-SB and we are in BB. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of the types of hands that we can consider defending passively OOP vs an unknown. ( I understand that it all depends btw. I am looking for some generalisations as a starting off point and then I would adjust depending on opponent type, stats, dynamic, stack size etc etc.)

For the unknown opening ranges I have just used the "PS.com SH ORC standard" ranges by position and worked from there.

at the moment:
      BB vs CO stl, HU (assumiing BU and SB fold) I would probably defend something like:

Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     46.84%  45.24%   1.60% { 22+, A6s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T8s+, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s, A9o+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o, 98o, 87o }
      BB     53.16%  51.56%   1.60% { JJ-22, AQs-A9s, KTs+, QJs, AQo-A9o, KTo+, QJo }

BB vs BU: (HU assuming SB folds)

Equity     Win     Tie
      BU     41.87%  40.54%   1.33% { 22+, A2s+, K7s+, Q7s+, J7s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, 65s, 54s, A2o+, K8o+, Q8o+, J8o+, T8o+, 97o+, 87o, 76o, 65o, 54o }
      BB     58.13%  56.80%   1.33% { JJ-22, AQs-A9s, KQs, AQo-A9o, KQo }

BB vs SB stl:

Equity     Win     Tie
      SB     51.30%  49.43%   1.87% { 22+, A6s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J8s+, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, A8o+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+ }
      BB     48.70%  46.83%   1.87% { JJ-22, A2s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s, A2o+, K9o+, QTo+, JTo }

:club: Is this too tight? Should I defend a bit wider.
      :club: I have also left in some strong hands for deception or is this a bad idea at micros <NL10? Should I just polarise mostly / be unbalanced because people are rarely paying attention therefore it doesn't matter too much.
      :club: Also should I be allowing an overlap between value 3b, call and, 3b bluff ranges when constructing?

Hope this makes sense. Got a lot of confusion whirling around my head.

Cheers

:f_ugly:
  • 5 replies
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      How come you're defending more vs CO than vs BTN?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, muel294
      This sort of question is SO hard to answer w/o being misleading.

It really, really depends on WHO the CO, BTN and SB are, and how they play.

vs Unknowns gives us a starting point, but after a few orbits, you should be leaning toward playing vs their player type, I think.

I had a player sit down to my left today who after 30 hands was running 60/40 with a 50 3Bet %.

I just backed off and waited, and eventually I got a hand to play back at him with -- and of course he had QQ (but I sucked out he, he, he)

And not just me -- there were several decent players at the table and we all got a piece of him. He sat down w/ 100 BB, doubled it and then some, but left down a BI

The point is play the player -- you can guess their ranges from their stats (within reason).

Disclaimer: I am NOT a coach!

Best of luck
      --VS
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      in vacuum (without enough info postflop) BB vs LP:
      i 3bet for value 25% of his combos, call 25%-35% of his combos, 3bet bluff 10%-20% of his combos.
      So I'm defend about 70% of his combos.

This is how I defend:
      3bet for value: hands that have >55% equity vs his range.
      call: 45%-55% equity
      3bet bluff: add some Small As, pp, ss, ss 1 gap, and ss 2 gap.

-I call more hand with playability: I prefer to 3bet for value AJo than AJs. I prefer to call with AJs than AJo, because I can float more OTF.
      -3bet polarized.

BTW, JJ and TT is trouble hand for me..... I don't sure how to play :)
      I'm playing NL10 also and would like to talk with u. Add my on skype. My skype account is the same as my ps.com account name.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Thanks, patszerdonk

tbh, I could not tell you how many combos I do what with.

That's probably why I flap around like a flounder.

I start with some "standard" ranges, that depend on which pos I'm defending against. If I can get away with those, I widen, if I get pushback, I tighten.

And I'm NL 2 at the moment, so who I'm playing against is usually wildly inconsistent.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Cheers all. Some very helpful comments :P