lilA needs some selfdiscipline to rape NL200...

• littleA
      littleA
      Bronze
      Hey guys.

Today I wanna start with a blog about daily life and poker.

About me: My name's Roman and I am from Austria. I've started to play poker years ago and managed to move up to NL400 until I had a huge downswing and quit poker. Generally that's my biggest problem: selfdiscipline. No matter what I do and how good I'm at something, at some point I just quit cause it's getting tough or something like that. Always in life. I crushed regional chess tourneys when I was young, but decided that chess is boring, so I quit. I played soccer, but my team sucked and we lost a lot, so I quit....etc. Now I'm 24 and I don't wanna be a quitter anymore: I wanna do something BIG out of my life. I know I have what it takes, but there's my issue with having some selfdiscipline.

So I decided it might be best to start a little blog and tell you every now and then how things are going.

My re-started pokercareer so far: Well, after pausing to play poker for about 3 years, I was bored one day and started playing again. So I cashed in like $200 and just played. I moved up really fast to NL50 and crushed it with about 8PTBB/100, but when I started to shot NL100, I experienced a big downswing.. and again I was about to stop playing poker. Again there was no motivation and stuff... and then I realized I can't continue doing things how I've kept doing it all my life... So I've made a longterm Coaching deal with an Austrian NL1k player who will now constantly coach me in order to move up in stakes.

What do I expect out of this blog: Obviously I just want to stick to my goals and keep getting motivated. I wanna post longterm and shortterm goals and hopefully reach them. Furthermore, I wanna improve. I never really gave a fuck about reading poker books, watching videos or review my game. That's gotta change.... and it WILL change.

longterm goals:- beat NL200 within 2014
      - play 300k hands
      - constantly review EVERY session, at least critical hands
      - Improve my English (that's basically the reason why I didn't post it in the German forums)

goals for December:
      - play 20k hands
      - read mental game of poker 1 and 2
      - finally finish my Uni degree (just need to correct my thesis, then it's done)

Hope you enjoy my blog.

See you at the tables, Roman
  • 8 replies
    • littleA
      littleA
      Bronze
      Hey guys.

Today I wanna start with a blog about daily life and poker.

About me: My name's Roman and I am from Austria. I've started to play poker years ago and managed to move up to NL400 until I had a huge downswing and quit poker. Generally that's my biggest problem: selfdiscipline. No matter what I do and how good I'm at something, at some point I just quit cause it's getting tough or something like that. Always in life. I crushed regional chess tourneys when I was young, but decided that chess is boring, so I quit. I played soccer, but my team sucked and we lost a lot, so I quit....etc. Now I'm 24 and I don't wanna be a quitter anymore: I wanna do something BIG out of my life. I know I have what it takes, but there's my issue with having some selfdiscipline.

So I decided it might be best to start a little blog and tell you every now and then how things are going.

My re-started pokercareer so far: Well, after pausing to play poker for about 3 years, I was bored one day and started playing again. So I cashed in like $200 and just played. I moved up really fast to NL50 and crushed it with about 8PTBB/100, but when I started to shot NL100, I experienced a big downswing.. and again I was about to stop playing poker. Again there was no motivation and stuff... and then I realized I can't continue doing things how I've kept doing it all my life... So I've made a longterm Coaching deal with an Austrian NL1k player who will now constantly coach me in order to move up in stakes.

What do I expect out of this blog: Obviously I just want to stick to my goals and keep getting motivated. I wanna post longterm and shortterm goals and hopefully reach them. Furthermore, I wanna improve. I never really gave a fuck about reading poker books, watching videos or review my game. That's gotta change.... and it WILL change.

longterm goals:- beat NL200 within 2014
      - play 300k hands
      - constantly review EVERY session, at least critical hands
      - Improve my English (that's basically the reason why I didn't post it in the German forums)

goals for December:
      - play 20k hands
      - read mental game of poker 1 and 2
      - finally finish my Uni degree (just need to correct my thesis, then it's done)

Hope you enjoy my blog.

See you at the tables, Roman
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Roman,

Welcome to the blogs.

The more you strive for in poker, the more discipline you must have so you are on the right track. Having a blog also helps with discipline because once your goals and targets are there in print, you sort to have to keep at it.

As for your English, it's excellent.

GL on your journey and I hope to be reading of your successes.

Regards

Laz
    • Yonose
      Yonose
      Bronze
      GL man
    • littleA
      littleA
      Bronze
      Hey Lazza, thanks for the first post in my blog :) and thanks for the compliment!!

Since I'm currently at work, I can't post my results from yesterday but it was fine with about two stacks up.

But I'd like to have your opinion on some strategic thought - Bet Sizing:

How do you guys do it?

My coach prefers it this way, with the goal of shoving on the river:

Pre 3BB (BU only 2BB) => at least 6.5BB Pot
      Flop 3/4 Pot => at least 16.25 BB Pot
      Turn 3/4 Pot => at least 40.63 BB Pot
      River no fixed sum, depending on what he wants to.

The thing is once there is some other player or bet added to the pot, the money eventually moves in:

e.g: 2nd player calling preflop

Pre 3BB => at least 9BB Pot
      Flop 3/4 Pot => at least 22.5BB Pot
      Turn 3/4 Pot => at least 56.25BB Pot
      River is already a possible shove, even though its a little overbet

Another example is a reraised Pot, here he prefers to Cbet with 1/2 Pot

Let's say the Reraise is 9BB:

Pre: 9BB => at least 18.5 BB
      Flop: 1/2 Pot => at least 37 BB
      Turn: 1/2 Pot => at least 74 BB
      River: Shove

That's the way he thinks. No reads for the opponent possible, except the differing sizes on the river.

What do you guys think about that approach? Do you think it's good for NL50? I mean he's playing NL1k - so it might be better for those stakes.

I'd be happy to hear your opinions on that.

Have a good one!
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Roman,

I'm a micro/low stakes SnG/MTT player so I'm not the best to ask. Are you playing FR, 6Max or HU.

Also what situations would you be looking to use that sort of bet sizing.

Pretty sure one of our NL50 players will have some input for you.

Cheers

Laz
    • littleA
      littleA
      Bronze
      Hey Lazza!

Well I wasn' exclusively talking to you about the betsizing topic, should have made that clearer, sorry :)

Well it was meant to start a little discussion, but I'm not sure yet if anyone is even reading this :D
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hey there littleA,

i wish you all good luck on your journey which i will follow for sure :f_cool: . Of course blogs need some time to become popular and good. As wine you know :f_cool: . Blog becomes popular immediately if it is very stupid or if you are famous person like Bieber or Cyrus :f_p: .

So maybe it would be better if you post your questions or your thoughts into our No Limit board as well. Just a suggestion.

Here are also my thoughts about it. I am currently playing NL25SH so i am far away from extremely good player. I think that we don't need specific guideline how to prepare pot to make a good shove on river. What you wrote is i think just an idea, just few ways to achieve that. It depends on board texture, on our opponent on our holdings, effective stacks etc. So i think we have to adopt to different situations. There are of course also some check/raises possible and so on. I know my answer was very general and i don't know if it helped but yeah. I still learn :f_cool: .

Wish you all the best and see you around.
      Good luck and see you around.
    • pelbonek
      pelbonek
      Gold
      Will follow, GL