If opportunity doesen't knock, build a door!

• nextgen07
      nextgen07
      Bronze
      Hi everybody,

:diamond: My name is Dan, I'm 20 years old and I'm from Romania.
      My poker journey started when I was 17 and I saw a TV commercial from Pokerstars... yup the virus got me :D

I started playing freerolls and play money to understand what is all about, a few weeks later I was qualifying, for a final freeroll, first 76 players were winning an Ipad... I went out on 113 or something like that from 12k players...

:diamond: So, I went to my mom and I said : "When I turn 18 I will deposit and I will play on real money"...

Here I am, 18 and no money, and like a normal teenager I went to my mom and asked her for some money to play poker... Since she is a math teacher, and she saw me playing, the fever got her too... :s_biggrin:

50$ in my account and started playing some sng 9 players, won 2 for 2, "This is it, I'm a poker expert"... at least that was in my mind... :D until I had a great idea to move up the limit and of course after a few days I lost my whole BR.

:diamond: So, a short summary of my "poker career": I managed to build some 300$-500$ bankrolls from 10-20 $ and then withdrawals + playing out of BR made me go busto for several times...

Until... a few months ago, when I decided to make my last deposit and play only in BR.
      So I started with a 45$ BR and started grinding NL2 then NL5 FR, when something really nice happend for any micro player, I ranked 3rd on a tournament and cashed 741$ :s_biggrin:

Of course after a big win Pokerstars gives you a slap on your face... a week later after a huge downswing + bad playing and changing formats of poker... from FR to SH, and also 180 players sng, I was down 300$ :s_mad:

:diamond: Made a big pause after this, and now here I am, back with big confidence and determination to succeed not only at poker but in everything that I want.
      For that, I opened this blog, to keep track of my evolution and to develop myself with you guys...

:diamond: Oh I almost forgot, I'm practicing alpine ski, and right now I'm in Italy at trainings...

So, since my time for poker is really limited for the next 4 months until the ski season ends, I will be able to invest 3 hours per day in poker.

This is why I came with a "challenge", to keep track of my game,but also because I want to start again from zero with studying, and working at my mental game.

-THE CHALENGE-

:heart: Game: NL 25 FR
      :heart: Time: one month
      :heart: Hands: 45000 (at least 1500/day)
      :heart: Strategy: 2 articles of NL and one of mental game plus a video, per day.
      :heart: At least 6bb/100 hands
      :heart: Daily update, weekly graphs.
      :heart: Post at least 3 hands/day
      :heart: The most IMPORTANT: ENJOY your work and time no matter what are the results :s_biggrin:

Any advice, ideea is more then welcomed!

So, I thank you in advance and good luck at the tables :)

Down you have a graph for my last 10k hands at NL 25 FR since I'm back:

• 14 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hey Dan. So will we see you in world skiing cup some day? :f_cool: I hope so.

Does your mother play poker too? That would be nice to see son and mother competing in poker :f_cool: . T bet she would not have problems with implied odds, reversed implied odds, fold equity, sizing selection to prepare river shove etc :D . Well done mum, well done.

I also noticed that you didn't mention NL10. have you beat it already?

I wish you good luck in skiing, poker and all other areas.

Take care
    • nextgen07
      nextgen07
      Bronze
      Hi Alen,

Ho knows, I hope so too. You know... "never say never" :D

About my mom, no unfortunately she doesn't play, I mean she really understands a lot, and she is the kind of person who always wants to understand, and after that, never forgets...

I always tell her: "Mom, you are the perfect poker player, always disciplined, and you put strategy before ego"... But her excuse is lack of time, maybe after she will read the blog and your comment she will start playing :s_biggrin:

About NL 10, I was kind of BE, then after the downswing, I kind of skipped it :P .

PS: that is ski jumping, I'm an alpine skier :f_cool:
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze

PS: that is ski jumping, I'm an alpine skier :f_cool:
      Haha yeah i know. But it is somehow related. i just wanted to show you hw you can safe your skin if you are careful :f_cool: . I am big fan of ski jumping and Alpine skiing.

I always tell her: "Mom, you are the perfect poker player, always disciplined, and you put strategy before ego"... But her excuse is lack of time, maybe after she will read the blog and your comment she will start playing shark biggrin

Go mom go :D .

Well it is also important that your genes are good. And you are smart enough that you skipped NL10 and who know maybe you will skip also NL50 and will be a winning player at NL100 (Please don't do that ok ?:f_cool: ).
    • nextgen07
      nextgen07
      Bronze
      OMG :) ) Alan, I laughed my ass off, with the "genes part"... :s_biggrin:
      No worries, I will play in BR and everything, not skipping limits anymore :) )
    • nextgen07
      nextgen07
      Bronze
      So, since I want to play at least 25 days from this month (because I have the road trip back to Romania, holidays and stuff), I will also include 1st day and 2nd day from December although I opened this blog yesterday.:

DAY 1:

:heart: Hands: 2769 :)
      :heart: Strategy: 0 X
      :heart: Posted Hands: 0 X

Day: 2:

:heart: Hands: 764 ( I had only one hour free to play) X
      :heart: Strategy: 0 X
      :heart: Posted hands: 0 X

My biggest problem is time, like for example today I have only 2 hours free... So I will try somehow to squeeze more time from one day.
      Tomorrow I will make the update for today and so on.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      You can print some pages/articles from PokerStrategy and learn poker on ski lift :f_biggrin: . That would be great spent time when you are freezing out there :f_cool:
    • nextgen07
      nextgen07
      Bronze
      Yeah, like last week, there was -18 and super windy, good idea :f_cool: :) )

DAY 3:

:heart: Hands: 1230 X
      :heart: Strategy: NL: Mathematics of Poker: Odds and Outs, Mathematics of Poker: Implied Pot Odds,
      Psychology: Professional Attitude, video: X

:heart: Posted Hands:

Hand 1:

Vs Villain (14/11 3b 5 only 66 hands).
      On the flop I checked because after his 4bb bet I knew he will cbet, after is standard... what do you say?

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $25.67 (102.7 bb)
      UTG+1: $23.22 (92.9 bb)
      UTG+2: $27.98 (111.9 bb)
      MP1: $47.01 (188 bb)
      MP2: $25.74 (103 bb)
      MP3: $20.32 (81.3 bb)
      CO: $10 (40 bb)
      BTN: $10.25 (41 bb)
      SB: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J J
      UTG+1 calls $0.25, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $1, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.75, UTG+1 folds

Flop: ($2.35) J Q 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $1.50, Hero raises to $4, MP2 raises to $9, Hero raises to $24.67 and is all-in, MP2 calls $15.67

Turn: ($51.69) 8 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($51.69) K (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $51.69 pot ($2.00 rake)
      Final Board: J Q 5 8 K
      Hero showed J J and lost (-$25.67 net)
      MP2 showed A T and won $49.69 ($24.02 net)

Hand 2:

Vs Fish 33/13. I called the river because I had the 2nd nut flush, and since I was holding an A...

CO: $26.07 (104.3 bb)
      BTN: $25.76 (103 bb)
      SB: $9.75 (39 bb)
      BB: $18.55 (74.2 bb)
      UTG+1: $29.17 (116.7 bb)
      UTG+2: $10 (40 bb)
      MP1: $5.89 (23.6 bb)
      Hero (MP2): $35 (140 bb)
      MP3: $22.47 (89.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A Q
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.75, BTN folds, SB calls $0.65, BB folds

Flop: ($2.50) 5 6 2 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1, CO calls $1, SB folds

Turn: ($4.50) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.25, CO raises to $4.50, Hero calls $2.25

River: ($13.50) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $6.75, Hero calls $6.75

Results:
      $27 pot ($1.22 rake)
      Final Board: 5 6 2 K T
      CO showed 3 A and won $25.78 ($12.78 net)
      Hero mucked A Q and lost (-$13 net)

Hand 3:

Mp3 Loose Pasive, SB Fish.

UTG+1: $10 (40 bb)
      UTG+2: $33.06 (132.2 bb)
      Hero (MP1): $25.20 (100.8 bb)
      MP2: $39.95 (159.8 bb)
      MP3: $28.96 (115.8 bb)
      CO: $25 (100 bb)
      BTN: $11.05 (44.2 bb)
      SB: $21.33 (85.3 bb)
      BB: $11 (44 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A A
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.75, 2 folds, SB calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($3) 2 J T (4 players)
      SB bets $1.50, BB calls $1.50, Hero raises to $4.25, MP3 calls $4.25, SB raises to $20.58 and is all-in, 2 folds, MP3 calls $16.33

Turn: ($49.91) 4 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($49.91) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $49.91 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: 2 J T 4 9
      Hero mucked A A and lost (-$5 net)
      MP3 showed J J and won $47.91 ($26.58 net)
      SB showed 2 2 and lost (-$21.33 net)
      BB mucked and lost (-$2.25 net)
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      I think you played all 3 hands well. I would play them in the same way or worse :D
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      1) standard
      2) i like the small cbet, you can cbet turn bigger, he will call any regardless.
      turn minr sucks, i guess you can call but then fold river, you are bluffcatching and he has about no bluffs and no worse value hands, i mean it's not like he minr turn and bet river with J. the fact that you have an A is completely irrelevant.
      3) what's your difference between "fish" and "loose passive"? if i have any indication that the fish is aggro he might be shipping a bunch of draws, and "loose passive" might just have TP which he never folds because TP, though these things are more unlikely when you have AA with the though i guess.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hey nextgen07,

are you training for Sochi or what? :D

I hope everything is OK with you. Let me use this opportunity to wish you success in 2014 at every area. So at poker, at skiing and of course in your personal life. Hope to see an update from you soon.

Good luck.
    • nextgen07
      nextgen07
      Bronze
      Hey Alan883,

Ty for your kind words, almost dropped out this blog, because of lack of time...

Despite that, I'm pretty fine actually, the trainings are going pretty well, I had an amazing month in Italy training in that F.I.S Camp. Right now I'm going to Sweden, (I travelled a lot but never been in a Scandinavian country yet) so I'm super excited :s_biggrin:

Poker related: despite my lack of posting, I continued the challenge, for 14 days I think...
      Then it happened...: HM stopped working anymore, and also a nice downswing + bad play hit me... :s_mad: = after losing enough I stopped playing and waited to return home to fix my computer.

Since then, I grinded the last 3 days of the year to reach Gold Star on PS (haha I know, for some players here, making 2.5 k vpp in one month is peace of cake :D ) but for me was a nice achievement.

Also because of lack of confidence in my cash game I returned to my first "love", sng/mtt and after some exasperating deep runs, QQ vs 10 10, river 10, in last 30 ppl with nice stack also, in a 12K tournament, and so on, I managed to win a 3.50+ R 180 players, boosting my BR a little bit :s_biggrin:

This is it for now, tomorrow I will travel by ferry, so no internet connection in my program... but I will keep you updated as soon as I reach swedish soil.

Cheers, and once again ty for posting :s_cool:
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Oooh so great to know everything is ok with you. One day if you agree you can also post us some video of you skiing :D . Yeah i know that it is quite difficult to achieve gold star at pokerstars for some of us:) . I was break even at NL25 and i didn't enjoy it very much anymore. So i started to play NL2 :f_cool: . There is only fun and nothing else :f_cool: .

Well i wish you nice trip to Sweden and hope to see you around soon. Good luck.
    • Shuttled
      Shuttled
      Bronze
      Good luck in your grind to happiness! :f_biggrin:
    • nextgen07
      nextgen07
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

So here I am in Sweden, after a quite interesting trip with the ferry and some Alaska style driving...
      So this was my first trip with such a big boat traveling such a big distance, and I also heard about sea sickness if this is how is called :D .

Don't worry I didn't throw up or anything, but for those who never traveled by ferry... do you remember that specific moment when you are having a good time at a party, nice music, nice girls, a couple of drinks,ok more than a couple, and then it happens:

Everything is starting to slip under you, like the whole room is moving, and if you drink one more sip you gonna fall under the table?

Well that's the exact feeling that you have when you travel on sea for the first time :D , I mean at some point I lifted my head up to look forward, like when you look ahead when you have car sickness :D

Despite that it was a cool trip, waiting to do it again. :s_biggrin:

"Waiting to do it again" beacause is fucking cold here!!! :s_cry:
      I'm in a resort called: Åre, they held the World Ski Championships here in 2007, and guess what... we catched the only week in the year they say when is like -15 degrees and brutal storm...
      I don't believe them, I think there are at least -20 degrees...

Anyway I don't want to come in Sweden anymore on this kind of weather.
      But I want to go again in Stockholm :f_biggrin:
      Super town, I enjoyed it very much. A lot of things to see in the old center, and on the new center is like Christmas every night. :f_cool:

Anyway I had only one problem, if there is anyone from Sweden reading this... at what time and where, are those gorgeous blonde swedish girls going out? I didn't quite found them... :s_biggrin: )

Well this is pretty much of it until now.
      Poker wise nothing special yet, I just went out on FT buble miutes ago at 3.50+R 180.

Originally posted by Alan883
      Oooh so great to know everything is ok with you. One day if you agree you can also post us some video of you skiing :D . Yeah i know that it is quite difficult to achieve gold star at pokerstars for some of us:) . I was break even at NL25 and i didn't enjoy it very much anymore. So i started to play NL2 :f_cool: . There is only fun and nothing else :f_cool: .

Well i wish you nice trip to Sweden and hope to see you around soon. Good luck.
      Alan883 why not? when I go home maybe I will post some videos, especially for you:s_biggrin:

Originally posted by Shuttled
      Good luck in your grind to happiness! :f_biggrin:
      Man, that was amazing... Thank you very much. Can I use this quote in my signature? :f_cool: