Making a big start (NL25 FR)

• UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Silver
      Hi everyone,

my name is Yulia, I'm from Belarus.
      I left my study in Saint-Petersburg (Russia) because of the problem of climate adaptation (and health problems as a consequence) and now I've got a lot of time to make my way up in poker.
      Although the money issue is enough important for me, I really enjoy poker playing and trying to do my best to play as good as I can. I like math and psysics so it can be easily explain.

Nearly a month ago I've upgrated my PC and now the only thing that stops me from playing more and better is my internal issues. So I'm here to resolve them :)

I've completed a week ago free 7-days course of beating procrastination from Schnitzelfisch and Erik Stenqvist and I'm still trying to track my progress as Primoz has suggested. So I think I'got something useful from that course :f_biggrin:

So, here I am. My november results:
      NL25 MSS+BSS

Looks awful, I know. But I was grinding in order to make platinum and get here :f_love:
      Not so bad last week (bss only):

The thing is that I do not understand that loose shoving in blinds in mss 'cause I've started playng from BSS
      not SSS, like every good reg :rage:

and I feel lost playing with such unconstant stack as 40-90bb.
      But I do know how to play with fish, so that profit line didn't go straight down :f_biggrin:

So, I'm here to become better in both parts of the game: the psychological one by making my effective system of playing&learning and theoretical issues in order to may my way up as quick as I can :f_cool:

Oh, and by the way. I used to play SH in the very beginning, but then I found it not the most rational way to make my banroll - too big rake.
  • 25 replies
    • rootakashi
      rootakashi
      Silver
      Originally posted by UnknownF
      So, I'm here to become better in both parts of the game: the psychological one by making my effective system of playing&learning and theoretical issues in order to may my way up as quick as I can :f_cool:
      Hi, Yulia! I wish you the best in achieving these goals! Just added this thread to favorites. :)
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Silver
      I wonder if I can determine regs that exploit my high fold 4bet and high fold to donkbet without using notecaddy? Is there some group of stats that can figure it out for me?
    • rootakashi
      rootakashi
      Silver
      I wonder if I can determine regs that exploit my high fold 4bet and high fold to donkbet without using notecaddy? Is there some group of stats that can figure it out for me?
      I use stat "TOT 4Bet vs Hero 3bet". You can find it in default HM VsHero popup. Also you can take a look at another VsHero stats located there and compare them with "vs Everyone" stats. Unfortunatelly I did not find any default stats for "Hero's fold to donkbet" exploiting. Looks like the only way to determine this is notecaddy. Also sometimes you'll see the villain's hand at showdown. And if it's not in the range you gave him, then it's a reason to take a look at your history with this player after session using advanced filters in HM "Reports" tab.
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Hi Yulia!

I didn´t really get what kind of style you´re playing? Is it BSS or MSS? Or a mix? In case you´re mixing I´d rather concentrate on one thing and try to master it. Thinking of FR and MSS-Regs it reminds me of the times when SSS was allowed back in the days. In my opinion it´s tough to beat those mid- and shortstackers for a decent clip because their strategy just incorporates 1-2 streets of play (excluding preflop) and therefore their probability of making expensive mistakes decreases significantly compared to usual BSS. This automatically means more variance. But that´s just a vague assumption and no offense to real MSS experts (an art in itself I guess).

We share an important goal (effective studying). I will be checking out your blog as often as possible!

GL to you
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Silver
      Originally posted by JustMillion
      Hi Yulia!

I didn´t really get what kind of style you´re playing? Is it BSS or MSS? Or a mix? In case you´re mixing I´d rather concentrate on one thing and try to master it. Thinking of FR and MSS-Regs it reminds me of the times when SSS was allowed back in the days. In my opinion it´s tough to beat those mid- and shortstackers for a decent clip because their strategy just incorporates 1-2 streets of play (excluding preflop) and therefore their probability of making expensive mistakes decreases significantly compared to usual BSS. This automatically means more variance. But that´s just a vague assumption and no offense to real MSS experts (an art in itself I guess).

We share an important goal (effective studying). I will be checking out your blog as often as possible!

GL to you
      Hi again!

I was mixing in november, but now I'll concentrate on playing bss and learning some mss tricks. Because it always has been easy for me to play with fish on 100bb :s_love:
      But even in bss I've got a lot troubles with annoying shortstacks, 'cause I play mss with them with no choice, right?
      And I feel more confidence if I start playing new limit with mss. Then I switch to bss and trying to finish current limit. It would be great if it always can be like that :)
    • RandomGenerator
      RandomGenerator
      Bronze
      Хаха, надо же, и здесь ты) Не думал тебя тут встретить)
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Silver
      Originally posted by RandomGenerator
      Хаха, надо же, и здесь ты) Не думал тебя тут встретить)
      Yep, I'm here :D

Is it allowed to write in russian in english community? :f_eek:
    • JustMillion
      JustMillion
      Bronze
      Yes, knowing the MSS really helps you slipping into your opponents heads, that´s true. Midstacking while moving up sounds interesting too, never thought of that actually. You don´t risk too much of your bankroll and gather reads and stats of a lot of opponents. Really nice hint :)

I´d be very pleased if all conversations would be held in english. This way everyone benefits. But in case of off topic I am cool with other languages - no problem.

Talk to you soon, good night
    • RandomGenerator
      RandomGenerator
      Bronze
      Is it allowed to write in russian in english community? fish eek

Actually, I dunno.

Probably it's not if I'll get a ban here :)
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Silver
      You don´t risk too much of your bankroll and gather reads and stats of a lot of opponents. Really nice hint :)
      That's the point! :)
      But that needs much more forces, than learning only one strategy.

I´d be very pleased if all conversations would be held in english. This way everyone benefits. But in case of off topic I am cool with other languages - no problem.

Talk to you soon, good night
      He won't do that any more)
      good night to you too
      he was surprised - he didn't expect to meet me here :)
    • rootakashi
      rootakashi
      Silver
      You don´t risk too much of your bankroll and gather reads and stats of a lot of opponents. Really nice hint :)
      That's the point! :)
      There is one more point - your own stats will be different when you play MSS or BSS strategies. So if you mix them, it will be harder for opponents to read you. :D
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey

I'm reading. Like the honesty of the blog and hopefully you can enjoy the rest of the bootcamp and get alot out of this.

Maybe we should try nd make more regular platinum content too and it means more people will grind for it every month. Perhaps a monthly special coaching too?
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hey Yulia!

Welcome to the Bootcamp!

I'll be on the coaching staff working on mindset, tilt, and a-game related issues. But also to set solid good goals for 2014.

You mention psychological goals. Could you be a bit more specific on what you feel you need to improve on?

Interested to hear more. :)

Cheers!
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Silver
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey

I'm reading. Like the honesty of the blog and hopefully you can enjoy the rest of the bootcamp and get alot out of this.

Maybe we should try nd make more regular platinum content too and it means more people will grind for it every month. Perhaps a monthly special coaching too?
      Hey, thanks for the good wishes.
      Well, it's obvious that PS is interested in our eternal grinding :D
      But we - the men from the other side - are more interested in quality of our game.
      Frankly, my friends made me a bit ashamed of my november results. So special coachings will be cool)

By the way, I've finally got "The mental game of poker 2". After reading two chapters I still can't answer the question "why didn't I do it earlier?". There are things that exactly I'm interested in at this moment! =)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hi UnknownF,

I'll be helping you out in this Boot Camp with topics like procrastination, motivation, laziness, productivity, focus while playing, putting in more volume/studying, creating habits that stick, etc.

Could you please tell me:

1) What is your #1 issue in those areas
      2) What did you try so far to resolve it?
      3) What worked and what didn't?

Thank you,

-Primoz
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Silver
      Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Hey Yulia!

Welcome to the Bootcamp!

I'll be on the coaching staff working on mindset, tilt, and a-game related issues. But also to set solid good goals for 2014.

You mention psychological goals. Could you be a bit more specific on what you feel you need to improve on?

Interested to hear more. :)

Cheers!
      Hi Erik! I'm really happy to be here :)

Good question. It takes me a lot of time to overthink it.

I'm not satisfied with the efforts I put on my goals achievement.
      I feel that I can work harder. For example, in the last month I've played in average 3 hours a day and took almost 2 hours training each day with friends in skype. You can add here some hand analyze, video watching.. In any case, I worked on my poker goal no more than 6 hours a day. Considering that I'm almost not working on something else, I'm not satisfied how the work is done.
      I've already discovered that my working/resting ratio is 60/40 on my best days (usually it is 50/50).

So, what I'm trying to achieve? I want to be a successful poker player, who workes on his game, is very self-disciplined and makes it up to higher limits.
      How I'm going to make it? I need just to see how successful players do it and repeat after them. That's it. So simple.

In that comparing I need to see what I've already have and what I still need to get.
      I've already have:
      - good theoretical base on poker - that includes understanding of poker nature with all her variance things;
      - nice background - I'm a chessplayer and was always fond of math sciences;
      - powerful PC and enough soft to analyze my game;

What I DO NOT HAVE at this moment:
      - good schedule of grinding;
      - that main thing: effective, but flex plan of my working on the game. I have a lot of learning materials, but I don't know where to start. Right know I'm following the principle "just do something useful" (but maybe that thing is changing after your course of procrastination - I've wrote my goals for december and start working on them after dividing them to smaller goals. And I'm trying to plan some tasks for me each day, but I still do not get used to all that stuff);
      - I'm not self-disciplined. I have been never differ with a large amount of discipline, but I'm always trying to think about the main things. I try to figure out how the things are really going on. So, by the phrase "I'm discipled enough" I mean that this things would some day become a bit easier - I'll get used to my plan.
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Silver
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hi UnknownF,

I'll be helping you out in this Boot Camp with topics like procrastination, motivation, laziness, productivity, focus while playing, putting in more volume/studying, creating habits that stick, etc.

Could you please tell me:

1) What is your #1 issue in those areas
      2) What did you try so far to resolve it?
      3) What worked and what didn't?

Thank you,

-Primoz
      Hi Schnitzelfisch! =)

1) #1 issue is to increase my productivity. That I've described in the later post.
      (Actually, there is always a second way of resolving this problem: I can just decrease my wishes. But that's not certainly I'm seeking for :D )

2) About two weeks ago I've completed your's with Erik 7-days course on beating procrastination, so I've tryed all that you have suggested.

3) The simplest thing was to get used to the morning routine - I've dicovered that I've already had some morning ritual, but I was not realizing it :D
      But I'm very pleasant what I have at this moment.

I've set up some goals for the end of novembet and I did archieved them, but at once I've got this feeling of dissatisfaction.

And the exercise of focuse on something and start doing it without thinking of the starting process - I really can't plan that thing. Because if I do, I'm automatically start thinking about it :f_frown:
      But I've noticed some moments when I just started doing something I'm not really fond of at the moment. I don't know why, just started.... that's it.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

- that main thing: effective, but flex plan of my working on the game. I have a lot of learning materials, but I don't know where to start.
      What schedule do you think would work best for you. How many hours can you stay productive on average per day as it is now?

What are your 3 biggest leaks strategy wise?
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Silver
      Originally posted by ErikStenqvist

- that main thing: effective, but flex plan of my working on the game. I have a lot of learning materials, but I don't know where to start.
      What schedule do you think would work best for you. How many hours can you stay productive on average per day as it is now?

What are your 3 biggest leaks strategy wise?
      Because I sleep 8 hours in average, I can stay productive at least a half of time I'm awake, that is 8 hours at least.
      Not so long ago I've discovered that it is much easier for me to plan my day counting from the time I'll get up: f.e. I will play poker in 2 hours after I'll get up (I used to get up at 8 a.m. each morning, but it soon became boring - the days were pretty the same, and I'm really trying to escape that). But constant training with my friends do not approach this schedule - they are planned for a certain time and that time is different on different days of week. So, maybe I should make my plan right in the morning, but I should certanly reconsider my thoughts from the everning before - it's more productive time in my life planning.

And one more notice: the life isn't divided for me as work and rest at all, as it is for most people. I do not notice that jumping from work to rest and backwards, it seems to me to be some natural cycle.

My biggest leaks are as follows:
      1. I can imagine a wide range and how it fits some boards.
      Therefore I have a lot of difficulties in playing 3bet-pots OOP vs 1 reraiser and raising pots BB vs BU.
      2. I always play a certain hand, not my entire range as it should be, so I've got a lot of stats leaks.

But this problems aren't so expensive for me right now and I'm pretty sure that I'll go through NL25 without thinking about it.
      Although the leaks won't dissapear at once and I've got much-much work to do with it.