SgtJackColt reporting for duty!

• SgtJackColt
      SgtJackColt
      Silver
      Hey fellas,

welcome to my bootcamp thread! I'm from the german community. My real name isn't 'Jack Colt'. It originates from a movie i like very much.
      I think some of you will notice quickly. :)

So let me answer some questions:

- What do you play?

I mostly play NL50 FR Zoom. Last month i started playing NL25 SH Zoom, cause i want to change from FR to SH.

- Poker history?

Like many of you i got interested in poker after the big Moneymaker boom. My friends and I almost met every sunday to play poker.

In 2010 I started playing on Full Tilt without any specific strategy. Only thing I knew was tight is right. That brought me up from NL2 to NL10 Rush. I also tried sngs, but cash game was more sort of my thing. My biggest success: making 160 bucks from 60 cents in Big Little Tournament (about 142. place of like 55000). :)

In the mean time I found pokerstrategy.com and first got in touch with real strategy, coaching, videos and so on.

Then there was Black Friday, everybody knows, and i started at Party with $50 starting capital. I missed out reaching 100 ppoints with 1 point left, thats why the biggest part of my roll was claimed back.

I didn't like party that much, so i changed to Stars starting with NL5. That was the last time i played normal tables. When Zoom came out, i was really happy, cause i loved rush back in the Full Tilt days.

So I made my way up to NL50 FR Zoom. I have never been a big winner, so there is much space for improvement. Currently I'm trying to change to NL SH Zoom.

- Goals and aspirations for poker?

My Goal for 2014 is to reach Supernova status at Pokerstars. This Year i started too late playing NL50. So I just got about half the points.

Furthermore I want to make the change from FR to SH, cause NL50 is the second to last limit in FR. Moving up is not possible. Also I'm a little bit bored of all the nits at 9 handed games. I expect more action at SH Tables.

- What do you struggle with?

I'm struggling with bad autopiloting, when playing 3 or 4 Zoom tables. In result I often do braindead moves without thinking any second about it. Another Problem is a kind of tilt at Zoom tables. I call it Zoom-Paranoia. It's just disbelief at the whole time.

- What do you want to get out of the bootcamp?

I want to get better at playing postflop. I think I'm quite ok at preflop. Last month I set up a general pre gameplan. But postflop there are often moments, in which I don't know what to do best. I just want to know what to do with every part of my range in every kind of situation.

Ok, all questions done!
  • 13 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I've never played too much fr except for rush 400, but SH is way way way more fun :)

Volume goals for the month?
    • SgtJackColt
      SgtJackColt
      Silver
      Hey pleno1,

yeah i hope there's more fun. FR has become a little bit boring.

Last month i played quite a lot, round about 80k hands. Unfortunately just breakeven. I think it was kind of a bad run in combination with my above mentioned problems I'm strugglin with.

But i think my skill isn't there, where it could be. Also I'm new to SH games. So these are maybe two more reasons.

This month my only goal concerning volume is to keep Platin status at Stars.

Edit: Answered all the questions in my first post.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Cool. Big plans for Christ,as? The games are unusually very good over Christmas. Bad weather and people are off work

:s_cool:
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hey SgtJackColt!

Welcome to the Bootcamp!

I'll be on the coaching staff for the bootcamp working on mindset, tilt, and a-game related issues. But also to set solid good goals for 2014.

Of the mindset issues you mention which one do you feel you need to work first and why?

Cheers!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hi confidant91,

I'll be helping you out in this Boot Camp with topics like procrastination, motivation, laziness, productivity, focus while playing, putting in more volume/studying, creating habits that stick, etc.

You mentioned that a big issue of yours is auto-piloting.

Could you please tell me:

1) What did you try so far to resolve it?
      2) What worked and what didn't?

Thank you,

-Primoz
    • SgtJackColt
      SgtJackColt
      Silver
      Hey,

it's been a while since I posted. So far I played 20k hands (15k FR and 5k SH) in December. I'm doing quite ok with round about 6bb/100. During Holidays I'm going to increase volume.

I feel a little bit concerned about my change from FR to SH. Overall I got 62k hands with -1bb/100. But since there was lots of bad play, I think it'll be better soon.

Originally posted by pleno1
      Cool. Big plans for Christ,as? The games are unusually very good over Christmas. Bad weather and people are off work

:s_cool:
      My plan is being with my family. Besides of that I think I will go out to some parties, but not as much I used to go out during holidays. So there should be enough time left for grinding. :)
    • SgtJackColt
      SgtJackColt
      Silver
      Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Hey SgtJackColt!

Welcome to the Bootcamp!

I'll be on the coaching staff for the bootcamp working on mindset, tilt, and a-game related issues. But also to set solid good goals for 2014.

Of the mindset issues you mention which one do you feel you need to work first and why?

Cheers!
      I think it's that zoom-paranoia thing. I noticed that all of these mindset issues are connected with my lack of knowledge in certain situation. Today I finally completed my preflop basic gameplan and it gives me much more confidence. If a hand is too far away from my actual gameplan and I just fold and wont level myself.

A little gimmick I made: ;)

That little picture is always on my screen now when playing. It really helps not going crazy, spewing or sth like that. So it's always in my field of view, always remembering me of my mindset problems.
    • SgtJackColt
      SgtJackColt
      Silver
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      You mentioned that a big issue of yours is auto-piloting.

Could you please tell me:

1) What did you try so far to resolve it?
      2) What worked and what didn't?

Thank you,

-Primoz
      1) I decreased the max number of zoom tables to 3. At the beginning of one session I often play just 2 tables.

Also I'm trying to put my hand away from my mouse if there's a bigger pot. It shall prevent me from clicking too fast.

Other points I want to consider more:
      - enough breaks
      - quit when tired, hungry whatever

2) Playing just 2-3 tables works quite good. You can pay more attention to certain spots.

That putting-hand-away-from-mouse-thing doesn't work that good, but i think its a matter of habit.
    • SgtJackColt
      SgtJackColt
      Silver
      As mentioned above within my change from FR to SH I finally completed my general preflop gameplan. It took me quite a lot of time. I don't want know how much time it needs doing this for fullring, because of 3 more positions.

Here are some questions:

• In UTG/MP vs 3bet from blinds I've got a call only stratetgy with some 4bet bluffs, as people are 3betting very tight in SB/BB vs UTG. What do you think of it?

• In SB/BB vs UTG 2bet it's pretty similar. I just want to call most of my hands with some 3bet bluffs. Some coach once said if a range is too small, you better dont have it. That's pretty much the reasoning for this and the point above. People are very tight in UTG. My value range just would be AA/KK. Your thoughts (note that there a lot of nits at zoom games)?

• What do you think of a 3bet only range in SB vs LP? In SB vs BU I 3bet roughly 16%. How do you adapt against heavy 4bettors? Increasing your 5bet push range or just start setting up a 4bet call range?

• In BB vs BU position I had the alternative idea of having a linear 3bet range and a strong calling range at the same time by splitting up combos. For Example, you just don't 3bet the edge of your calling range anymore. Instead of this you 3bet your normal 3bet/5bet hands and in addition all broadways with a spade, and certain amount of suited hands of one or two colours. Could that make sense against more aggro players? Because when you have a wide linear 3betting range agianst them your call range gets very weak?
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      I think it's that zoom-paranoia thing. I noticed that all of these mindset issues are connected with my lack of knowledge in certain situation. Today I finally completed my preflop basic gameplan and it gives me much more confidence. If a hand is too far away from my actual gameplan and I just fold and wont level myself.

A little gimmick I made: ;)

That little picture is always on my screen now when playing. It really helps not going crazy, spewing or sth like that. So it's always in my field of view, always remembering me of my mindset problems.
      Nice gimmick! :D

Yes you are so right about how that dynamic works. We get more uncomfortable when we don't have the skill of making a solid decision. studying and learning is what will bring confidence, stability, and in the end results if you can get good enough at it. Keep working hard and identify your leaks.

Tell me more about the Zoom paranoia :)
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Hey Jack, what are you using to set the ranges different colours? I've been doing it manually in photoshop but if there's a program that'd be great.
    • dooleslovs
      dooleslovs
      Platinum
      I use PS Eqiulab PrtScrn and MS Paint. Very qiuck and efective.
    • SgtJackColt
      SgtJackColt
      Silver
      Originally posted by metza
      Hey Jack, what are you using to set the ranges different colours? I've been doing it manually in photoshop but if there's a program that'd be great.
      I used Combonator. But I didn't like the colours there. Also there are just two available in trial mode. So I just cut the ranges out with Windows snipping tool and remade them with MS Paint.

The new coach gadolparah answered some of the questions above yesterday, but feel free to post your thoughts too. :)