Blank canvas...HELP!

• Flooooky
      Flooooky
      Bronze
      Good morning,

As the title suggests I am very new to poker and could do with some helpful suggestions to help me out along the way! I am 26 from the UK and haven't played much poker, I have decided to take advantage of some free cash and deposit $150 at 770 poker which will give me $40 dollars free and 200% bonus to clear. I should imagine the bonus will be difficult to clear as I am only playing NL5 (can someone clarify this). I have many questions about poker so sorry if this post comes across a bit needy, but I just want to give myself a great start!

As I mentioned in my first post in the beginners section I am currently reading The Education of a Modern Poker Player, written buy some of the guys on here. I also have a couple of harrington books for cash games and online poker which I am going to get on to next week. I have allotted myself quite a bit of study time running up to Christmas as I won't be depositing or playing until the 19th of December and even when I start playing i am going to adopt a study heavy balance as I am just starting out, I feel this will give me a good base of knowledge to start playing poker whilst keeping my losses minimum but giving me enough time to practice what I have learnt. Again, is this a good/bad idea?

At the moment I am struggling to work out equity and pot odds; does anyone have a link to an article to help me better understand, I used to be good at maths but haven't really had to do any for a while as I don't use it much in my profession.

Another problem I am having at the moment is finding a decent range to use, I have seen many hand range "guides" but they are all different and contradict each other, I have downloaded equilab and I am starting to understand its uses, looks like a powerful tool for a noob like me! Again any information on equilab or ranges would be useful.

I am working my way through the beginners course but until I deposit I can't get bronze membership so can't read all the articles or watch all the videos so I am finding some information elsewhere at the moment to help me with the homework.

Anyway that is enough from me for now, I'm sure I'll bore you with more newbie question sometime soon!

:spade: Flooooky:spade:
  • 15 replies
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Hey Flooooky,

Welcome to PokerStrategy! You should try out the free money benefit here which I believe supports Poker770, thus it will lead to not depositing yourself, however you still could deposit on top, but I am not sure whether you get first deposit bonus then.

Good that you are reading The Education of Modern Poker Player. As one of the authors (Emanuel Cinca aka EmanuelC16) is my coach as well and I can tell that what he teaches is top notch. I wouldn't recommend for you Harrington books because they are well outdated now. However what I can recommend is material by one of coaches around here (mbml), found here http://galvinbay.net/books/ . He is playing NL500 and NL1k Zoom games and has great fundamental, therefore his material is up to date with today's games.

Good luck,

Rihard
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey Flooooky,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com, great to see you've decided to start a blog!

First of all, regarding Poker770, if you get the free poker money and make your first deposit, you will still be eligible for the first deposit bonus. So that's nothing to worry about :)

I second Rihard's suggestion about the books. The book you're reading right now is excellent, and although I have not read mbml's book yet, I trust that it will be of high quality as well.

Working out good ranges to play with is always tough, and will take some time to get used to. However, if you use your book and make good use of all the educational content we offer here, I'm sure you will be able to wrap your mind around it.

Keep us updated! :)

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • Flooooky
      Flooooky
      Bronze
      Good morning all,

Thanks guys for your comments. I have downloaded the beginner book and read around 60+ pages of it so far and I am impressed with the simple explanations of somewhat daunting aspects of poker, it's helped me understand with ease, thanks for the recommendation. I have tried to put some on the knowledge to use below...

I had a busy night last night looking into ranges, now I have come up with some open raising ranges which I have listed below, can you guys offer some critique on these, as you can see the SB is the same as the BTN as I am reading contradictory comments about how the range should be constructed. I know these are only a basis and that they should be adapted to suit the situations but is this the right grounding to start my poker career off on?

UTG

[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/c/802/hync.png[/IMG][/img]

MP

[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/c/35/rwlj.png[/IMG][/img]

CO

[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/c/571/jv7l.png[/IMG][/img]

BTN

[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/c/809/csry.png[/IMG][/img]

SB

[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/c/809/csry.png[/IMG][/img]

I have noticed within equilab there is a folder for 3 bet vs pre-flop raise (I have also downloaded a Holdem Manager 2), is this a good basis to work to as I am struggling to find information on 3-betting ranges again I know these need adapting to the situation but are they a good basis to start my learning on?

I have read some articles about contructing 3-bet polarised ranges and have this below:

1. TT+,AJs+,AQo+ ==> 5.0% 3bet for value
      2. 99-22,ATs-A7s,KTs+,QJs,JTs,AJo-ATo,KJo+ ==> 10.0% call
      3. A6s-A2s,K8s-K6s,QTs-Q8s,J9s-J8s,T8s+,98s,87s ==> 5.1% 3bet bluff

Again critique welcome.

I set myself some targets this morning for the next 10 days:

• Finish "mbml's book []
      • Finish "The education of a modern poker player" []
      • Review my notes and questions taken for both books and research any unclear parts (or bore you guys with more questions) []
      • Read my research on Holdem Manager 2 (again bore you guys with question) []
      • Buy mbml's other book []
      • Keep this new found enthusiasm up! []
      • Get to division 7 on Fifa 14 Ultimate Team! []

I am loving this new found passion for learning I just hope it all pays off when I actually start playing! I am definitely going to have to read some articles on mindset and variance as I am quite volatile at times!
    • Flooooky
      Flooooky
      Bronze
      Does anyone know why my pictures are not appearing?
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Originally posted by Flooooky

UTG

MP

CO

BTN

SB

You're welcome. They don't appear because you are basic member
    • Flooooky
      Flooooky
      Bronze
      Good afternoon,

I have decided not to play to ipoker due to the lack of 100bb cash games. I have sign up so I have some free cash waiting there which will hopefully earn me enoguh points to get me bronze status so I can complete the beginners guide! So I am hunting for a new room, even though it's not linked to PS I am looking at fulltilt or 888, it's unfortunate that neither of these are affiliated here! :s_cry:

Has anyone got experience with either of these card rooms? I heard 888 is quite soft which sounds good to me! :f_biggrin: Looking forward to getting going now!

Does anyone have any tips for things to do when before, during and after a session? I have listed a few things below:

Pre-session

• Make sure you are free from distractions; no tv, no radio, no screaming kids, etc.
      • Have snacks and water ready
      • Have an idea of the session length and any stop-loss strategy before you start

During the session

• Stay focussed
      • If you feel like you are tilting, take a break and come-back with eyes on the prize!
      • Don't keep checking your balance.
      • Don't get too aggressive in the chat box

After the session

• Review hand histories and try to work out possible leaks!
      • Celebrate with a bottle of wine about how awesome you are!

You're welcome to add to my list...

Flooooky
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      Gl where in the uk are you from?
    • Flooooky
      Flooooky
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Stu24023
      Gl where in the uk are you from?
      Hi Stu,

Thanks, I am from Gloucester and you?

Flooooky
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Get to division 7 on Fifa 14 Ultimate Team! []
      FIFA :megusta:

888 is known to be quite soft as far as I know, but I don't have any experience there myself. But if you want to get a higher status and unlock more content here, I can definitely recommend playing tracked. Aside of iPoker, we also have rooms on other networks that you could choose from.

Poker rooms

Either way, it looks like you've got your goals set out pretty well, so that's definitely good!

Regarding what to do before and during your session, you have it thought out pretty well already. I don't have much to add in that regard at the moment. You'll also find out if you need to change anything by simply playing and seeing how things go with your mental game.

Good luck with the goals. :)
    • Flooooky
      Flooooky
      Bronze
      Good morning,

Well I had a bit of a shit weekend really, lots of DIY with no enthusiasm and about 1500 hands of poker at NL4, started off well up to $15 then BOOM dropped to -$2 running $12 below EV which was frustrating! Another frustrating thing is 888 poker, I know I have limited experience with online poker but the software is rubbish in fact from my small amount of experience and the research I have done it seems Pokerstars has the best software, the best rake and the best VIP system; so I have decided to move over to there as I already have an account.

I am now a bronze member so I can access some more information and complete the next homework!

Due 888 not processing my cash-out yet I am waiting for the money to hit my Paypal account before I can play at stars which is good in a way as it allows me to finish all the DIY this week ready for a nice long 3 week Christmas break where plenty of poker will be played!

Now a few questions:

1. Is balance important at microstakes?
      2. Are random acts of aggression from a fish often strong? I.e raising all-in on the flop for 9BB
      3. Is ABC poker the best way to play at the micros? or is it easily exploited.
      4. How long did it take you to escape the micros?

Flooooky
    • Flooooky
      Flooooky
      Bronze
      Good morning,

Well I managed to get online at Pokerstars last night and had a quick realisation that I was playing to many hands and not looking into the opponents range or bet sizing which made my profit drop like a stone, I had a little break and came back in the right frame of mind and managed to get myself up just above even for the night.

When I first logged into pokerstars my intention was to play normal NL5 but I didn't realise that you can buy in for 250BB, what is all that about? So I didn't feel comfortable playing with 100BB against these guys who are rolled to buy-in for 250BB, I then wondered over to the zoom tables which threw me a bit and took a while to get used to, but I loved it! I think this will be my main game for a little while until I am rolled for NL10 then I will reevaluate.

Does anyone have any advice for zoom poker as I haven't read much about it?

Here are my stats and graph for last nights session, a little messy compared to what I have been seeing on these forums but profit is profit and for my first session I am relatively happy I saved a disaster!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, as always critique is always welcome!

Flooooky
    • Flooooky
      Flooooky
      Bronze
      Also, does anyone know how to make my images full size, so people do not have to click on them in the thread?
    • Flooooky
      Flooooky
      Bronze
      Good morning,

Had a quick session last night and won 3 BI's, went out for a meal and some drinks, came home a little worse for wear and managed to blow some cash! Can't remember how many BI's I was down but it wasn't pretty, reminder to self don't play whilst intoxicated retard!

Anyway, I was happy with the way I started off in the quick session after work, played quite aggressively and definitely learnt how position is key and that I don't like being OOP. Still finding it a little difficult to fold made hands to people who I perceive as bad players betting aggressively.

Played a ridiculously long session, for me at least (8k hands) on Tuesday evening and started off really well and noticed my red line plunged after 3k hands then my whole graph got a bit shitty. Obviously this may be variance but I also think that it me getting tired or not concentrating enough, the enthusiasm is still there as I am trying to play as many hands as possible but I think I need to implement structured breaks into my game! Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Hopefully that will drag me out of this rut I am in, I think I am down $40 over 17k hands for this week, I am going to turn this around by the end of the month!

I will post my graphs and stats at the end of the week, I think this will give a fair representation of my first proper week in the big bad world of online poker!

Flooooky
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Regarding your question about how to post images, it looks like you might be copying the link to a thumbnail, instead of the link to the actual image.

Here's how you can copy the link to your image. If you have an ImageShack account, just go to your images overview and then do this:

If you don't have an account yet, I can recommend getting one. It's free and allows you to organize all your images and all that fancy stuff which is definitely useful :)

You can then copy the link and put it in [ img][/img] tags, or you can just copy the forum link (3rd option in the image above) directly.

Hopefully that helps!
    • ikkvr
      ikkvr
      Bronze
      Dont look at lines or see results every now and then that will make u result oriented Right now u just need to focus on making best decisions and not worry about red and blue lines as long as you are winning they dont matter in micros :) steal blinds play mostly abc at these limits is the best way