Newbie Question #1

• albedamn
      albedamn
      Basic
      Hey everyone,

I'm totally new to short stack play and will be posting some questions in the next few days relating to ply play. Hopefully someone could help. Also, I started using the system in this site yesterday and will start a blog sometime today giving my daily results....

Here is my first question...

Using short stack strategy as explained in this site, what should I reasonably expect in BB/100? I play at Poker Stars and usually select the loosest tables. If others have been using this system religiously and have a good hand sample, it would be great to get you're results so I could know what to expect. I was told by someone that 4 to 5BB/100 was normal... does everyone agree?

Thanks
  • 10 replies
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      Hi albedamn,

first hello and a warm welcome ;-)

To your Question I wouldn't set my standards this high like 4-5bb any winrate is good especially as a beginner you will make mistakes and have to learn the basic strategy so any plus at the end of a month is good ;-)
    • albedamn
      albedamn
      Basic
      Thanks for getting back to me Ysessa. It's pretty hard to make mistakes using the basic strategy. I have lot's of poker experience so I did not take me long to figure out how use the system. I know that a good deep stack player would make about 5BB/100 and was wondering what the norm is for a good SSS player using the basic play described on this web site... I used it for the first time yesterday and got 7BB/100 after playing for a little over an hour 6 tabling. I loved the simplicity.

I could get my answer by continuing to play of course, but I guess I'm impatient and would like to get a standard SSS winrate using the system. lol

Also, I'd like to start a thread where I would post my daily results from beginning to end playing SSS.... Since I'm fresh meat using this basic strategy, I'd like to post my results everyday. Is there a preferred place in the forum where this could be done? I tried starting a blog, but I don't know how to get one started... lol I never blogged before.

Thanks

Al
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      You can start your blog by clicking on the blog section, and then clicking on start new thread.

As for your question re:win rate i will back up what ysessa explained. At the beginning you only need to be concerned with learning, learning and learning. Read and re-read articles till they become second nature to you, watch as many videos as you can, attend the SSS beginner coachings and post any hands that you might not be sure of how they were played.

At this stage of SSS, your only priorities should be concentrating on playing good solid SSS and if you get a + winrate at the end of the month then it will be a nice bonus.

Also you will need to learn how to deal with the losses and the bad beats when they come and not let it affect your play or put you on tilt. Make sure to read the psychology articles and any other articles that may be of interest rather than just the SSS articles.

Regards, Steve
    • albedamn
      albedamn
      Basic
      Ok thanks for you're reply...

I figured all I had to do is click on "start and new thread" like I did when I started this one, but I didn't have that option for some reason... I went back several times and it's just not there for some reason.

I'm still very new to this site and still working my way arround it. From what I understand, you could only read the more advanced articles if you join an affiliate room. This is a problem for me since I play at Poker Stars for VIP points. All my time is devoded to accumulaing points. Is there another way to get a hold of advanced articles and coaching? I'm willing to play a fee if it's offered, but I can't find that offer on the site... I assuming it's not an option....

Thanks
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Why dont you join a site via PokerStrategy, that way you can get your $50 starting capital plus a further $50/100 depending on the site you choose.

This way you can steadily accumulate Strategy Points that will allow to move up the levels and access the articles depending on your current level at the time.

Regards, Steve
    • albedamn
      albedamn
      Basic
      Yes, I'd love to do that, but my time is dedicated to maintaning my VIP status on Poker Stars. To play anywere else would bring me down a level at PS quickly...
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      I might have a solution to your problem.

Say you play 9 tables at once on Stars, why not just play 8 and make the 9th one your affilated site.

Regards, Steve
    • albedamn
      albedamn
      Basic
      This is not a bad idea... actually I play 6 tables (not sure if I made a typo or if you are dislectic... lol), but can add a 7th.... I'll consider this seriously.... Any sites you would recomend? Full Tilt is out.... I need a site that has many NL25 tables since I'll be jumping ship alot... lol

Thanks
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Quite a few people play SSS on PartyPoker as well as Titan though some people have mentioned that it is very slow on Titan. If you're looking to get our starting capital you only have a select number of sites to choose from.

Regards, Steve
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      first off, welcome to the site.

To your question about what site, I'd also say partypoker or titan. I play at titan and the software is a little slows, and party just got the new update. So thats where i'd go as my #1 pick.