Removing last (tilt) problems from my game

• ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Hey, mainly made this topic/blog for ErikStenqvist to take a look at my problem(s). But if you have similar problems feel free to discuss :)

Didn't want to make a blog since I'm one of the few ones here that play midstakes HUSNG and not cash games.

For the past few months I've struggled and improved alot on my mental game. I think I came very far compared to half year ago which I'm really proud of. But there are still problems that needs to be solved.

Anyway for myself to be an even better (poker) player I need to master or beat these three subjects:
      a) skill
      b) mental
      c) motivation

Those are the three most important factors of being a (more) successful poker player. Skill wise I'm pretty fine, the last two parts of those subjects are somewhat harder. Below I'll explain my situation in short with a rating, hopefully someone can help me and/or have similar problems.

a) skill 9/10
      This is not a problem. It used to be a problem because I don't invest enough time in my game but now I am in group with other regs to discuss and improve game. I also have a coach that plays higher stakes to spot my (small) leaks.

b) mental 7/10
      Compared to half year ago I worked ALOT on the mental aspect of the game. I was a mental game fish back than. I'm fine with bad beats, bad players sucking me out on later streets, losing AI when I'm 95% ahead etc. Injecting logic here helped me alot. But there is one type of tilt that I'm having issues with and thats against the super aggressive fishes who always donks/re-raise almost everything at preflop, flop, turn and river. The worse part is that they don't know what their doing but is always hitting them. I just don't know how to handle them mentally wise.

c) motivation 7/10
      Motivation is two sided for me. Its not that I have more or less motivation when I rungood/runbad. Its something I can't explain. I guess its something related to my body, once I have the motivation to play poker I play close to fulltime for a month. I avg about 7hrs a day per week with taking 1-2 days off per week. Those are the good times but when I have no motivation I just play like 50% less than my actual time. I'm also trying to treat poker as a business I hope that helps. Also want to implement a proper schedule but still having issues with that!
  • 10 replies
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      I think also think its a good idea to comment those three subjects mentioned in the first post after my daily sessions. Will comment those subjects + post graph (lmk if its a good idea).
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hi ragney,

I'll be helping you out in this Boot Camp with topics like procrastination, motivation, laziness, productivity, focus while playing, putting in more volume/studying, creating habits that stick, etc.

Could you please tell me:

1) What is your #1 issue in those areas
      2) What did you try so far to resolve it?
      3) What worked and what didn't?

Thank you,

-Primoz
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hi ragney,

I'll be helping you out in this Boot Camp with topics like procrastination, motivation, laziness, productivity, focus while playing, putting in more volume/studying, creating habits that stick, etc.

Thank you,

-Primoz
      Hey thanks for the help. Will try to answer your questions.

1) To be honest I like the 'freedom' of being a poker player. Mainly have your own schedule and adjust whenever you feel necessary. Of course without being strict to myself alot of the stuffs you mentioned above are happening. I think maybe something is missing in my mindset to play more serious/volume. After all I depend on poker for income (been my source of income for the past year), while being a last year student @ college. Have alot of free time. I really don't know what my main issue is. Maybe you'll get an indication when I answer question 2.

2 + 3) It was usually to set volume goals that were easy to archive to keep me playing enough at the tables. Lately I am more motivated due I have a stake+coach deal on the higher midstakes of my limit. I'm also setting my permanent goal on the tables to keep making the right decisions, not focus on stuffs I can't control (aka the cards) and thanks to a coach I hope to further improve my game as well.

Also tried having a vision and creating a structure so I can play properly. Didn't work out too good but they did help somewhat, make myself realize not to waste too much time. There is time where I need to grind (work) and on my free days I have more time to play games, go out etc!
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by ragney
      Hey, mainly made this topic/blog for ErikStenqvist to take a look at my problem(s). But if you have similar problems feel free to discuss :)

b) mental 7/10
      Compared to half year ago I worked ALOT on the mental aspect of the game. I was a mental game fish back than. I'm fine with bad beats, bad players sucking me out on later streets, losing AI when I'm 95% ahead etc. Injecting logic here helped me alot. But there is one type of tilt that I'm having issues with and thats against the super aggressive fishes who always donks/re-raise almost everything at preflop, flop, turn and river. The worse part is that they don't know what their doing but is always hitting them. I just don't know how to handle them mentally wise.
      Hey hey!

Looking forward to helping you out with your tilt issues!

And it serves you right to be tilting playing such a silly game as HUSNG, atleast you are not playing hypers right? :P

I see that you and Primoz is already looking into the motivational part, I might have some things to add to it eventually but let's focus on the tilt issue vs aggro fish.

Let's try to see if we can get another perspective on this issue and see what's going on here. So first of all when you take a few minutes to think about this. Try to look at this from a 3rd person perspective. Why do you think this specific situation or dynamic affect you so much when you play?

Great job so far!

Cheers!
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Hey hey!

Looking forward to helping you out with your tilt issues!

And it serves you right to be tilting playing such a silly game as HUSNG, atleast you are not playing hypers right? :P

I see that you and Primoz is already looking into the motivational part, I might have some things to add to it eventually but let's focus on the tilt issue vs aggro fish.

Let's try to see if we can get another perspective on this issue and see what's going on here. So first of all when you take a few minutes to think about this. Try to look at this from a 3rd person perspective. Why do you think this specific situation or dynamic affect you so much when you play?

Great job so far!

Cheers!
      Lol (un)fortunately I am playing hypers HUSNG :D You can imagine players going wild with short stack play :f_biggrin:
      I don't mind most of the time except vs the ultra aggro ones as I wrote. By ultra aggro I mean 95% of the time always bets/raise for big sizes most of the time.

Try to look at this from a 3rd person perspective. "Why do you think this specific situation or dynamic affect you so much when you play?"
      I don't understand the question to be honest :(
      Do you mean I need to try to think what another player on my limit thinks when he's observing my game and tilt in that dynamic?

Copy paste from something that happened last night
      Had a perfect example tonight. I tilted vs the same type of maniac I wrote before. Always donks every board big sized, hits his backdoor gutshot on the river and I was holding two pair. After that I noticed I played 5-10 mins tilty game which was more aggro game (being more aggro preflop and postflop). So I noticed these mistakes that I've been doing --> took a short break. Inject logic and try to keep myself calm and keep making good decisions once I resume. Its usually like this and when it happens again I'm likely to tilt/play bad again.

--
      @Schnitzelfisch: I tried to write as much I could think of. See the post before me, thanks for your help thus far!
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

Lol (un)fortunately I am playing hypers HUSNG :D You can imagine players going wild with short stack play :f_biggrin:

Try to look at this from a 3rd person perspective. "Why do you think this specific situation or dynamic affect you so much when you play?"
      I don't understand the question to be honest :(
      Yeah, sick swings in those. Have fun with that! ;)

This situation where aggressive fish make really weird plays puts you on tilt. Why this specific spot? What is it about it that so hard to deal with?

Just want your perspective on it if you ever thought about it. :)
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze

Yeah, sick swings in those. Have fun with that! ;)

This situation where aggressive fish make really weird plays puts you on tilt. Why this specific spot? What is it about it that so hard to deal with?

Just want your perspective on it if you ever thought about it. :)
      Wow actually a good one. I think these players cause me to get outside of my "comfort zone" I think. They are a different kind of players that is hard to deal with because we cannot do anything most of the time, and when we try to do something they hit their backdoors most of the time. I just find it much harder to deal with instead of the normal swings/variance I encounter. I really don't mind 40-50BI swings, its the nature of hypers, it doesn't affect my game much either. When I'm running bad I usually just "sigh" std poker variance, and continue to keep in my mind to make the best possible decisions.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ragney
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hi ragney,

Thank you,

-Primoz
      Hey thanks for the help. Will try to answer your questions.

1) To be honest I like the 'freedom' of being a poker player. Mainly have your own schedule and adjust whenever you feel necessary. Of course without being strict to myself alot of the stuffs you mentioned above are happening. I think maybe something is missing in my mindset to play more serious/volume. After all I depend on poker for income (been my source of income for the past year), while being a last year student @ college. Have alot of free time. I really don't know what my main issue is. Maybe you'll get an indication when I answer question 2.

2 + 3) It was usually to set volume goals that were easy to archive to keep me playing enough at the tables. Lately I am more motivated due I have a stake+coach deal on the higher midstakes of my limit. I'm also setting my permanent goal on the tables to keep making the right decisions, not focus on stuffs I can't control (aka the cards) and thanks to a coach I hope to further improve my game as well.

Also tried having a vision and creating a structure so I can play properly. Didn't work out too good but they did help somewhat, make myself realize not to waste too much time. There is time where I need to grind (work) and on my free days I have more time to play games, go out etc!
      Hi,

I would focus on 3 things:

1) Make your vision/goals BIG. It seems like right now you're not working on anything really big, but rather just to maintain your living and slowly move up the stakes. I don't know about you, but to me that doesn't sound very exciting. Make your vision/goals in a way that when you think of them, it's exciting, and everything else will be much easier :) .

2) Make the grinding exciting, make the studying exciting. You're already doing this partially with the coaching deal. One thing that works well is for example changing the way you grind by adding specific session goals. Or studying in groups instead of alone.

3) You need to develop a system for planning that works for you. You can try out my tasks system, look into the book "Getting things done", or perhaps just decide on the evening in advance on 3 things that you want to get done next day.

I understand it's hard to balance being structured and having autonomy, but usually as long as you have vision/goals that are exciting, you will always love to work on them, so the issue won't be as big.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

Wow actually a good one. I think these players cause me to get outside of my "comfort zone" I think. They are a different kind of players that is hard to deal with because we cannot do anything most of the time.
      There a few different things you can do to help you reduce or remove the effect of this when you play. Best is to combine them in a way that works for you but you will have to try it for a while before it sticks.

1. Look deeply into if there is an unwillingness to accept that this is something that will happen to you as long as you play poker. That there is some part of you that wished you could just get rid of this problem. If there is then you can use a written reminder where you break down exactly why these situation are awesome for you and that you couldn't make any money from poker without "variance" like this. And when you get put into the situation read the right thinking out loud. This works really well for most players that make it into a habit.

2. Try to spend time in the situations that make you uncomfortable. Now you play hypers so the time bank is small so this limits the use a bit. Take a few extra seconds when you can and try to get familiar and comfortable with feeling uncomfortable. Get to know it really well, study what it feels like and so on if you can. Don't try to push it away or ignore it if you can.

3. Mindfulness and meditation practice will help you be more aware and conscious about this in real time if you do it regularly.

Try it out and let me know what you think... :)
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Was busy the last few days with college stuffs. Thanks for your help, I will try to implement those in my game :)