AJs

• Meseany
      Meseany
      Basic
      I need some help with an hand analysis please...

We're down to last 15 in what was a 110 MTT.

Im in early pos with AJs so I raise x3 blinds - all fold except button who reraises to x6 blinds so I smooth call.

At this point Ive got 30k chips he's got 25k - the pot is worth 10k.

Flop comes J24 non suited - so I slow bet all in thinking my AJ takes it - but he's got AA - which he calls with - I loose.

I manage to hold onto to 9th spot which was a miracle.

I can be prone to shoving all in - ie hyper aggressive when I feel in my gut that the time is right.

What was the correct play here - to fold pre flop to his reraise? Or to bet 1/2 pot on flop and fold to his raise - assuming he raises.

My thinking was - if I bet 1/2 pot and he raises then Ill not be chucking my hand not with top pair - or if he calls then Im pot committed so I may as well shove now.

Any insights would be great thank you.
  • 10 replies
    • Hashkan
      Hashkan
      Bronze
      It all depends on ur opponent and u have not given any information about ur opponent. Some opponents AJ is AA and some others its worth the same as 2-7 off suit.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Moved to our MTT Discussion board.

FWIW, I either shove or fold to his 3bet.
    • Meseany
      Meseany
      Basic
      I didnt know much about the oppo since I'd been moved tables.

Im thinking maybe I should have folded to his reraise - which is surely screaming QQs or higher in which case Im toast
    • Yonose
      Yonose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Moved to our MTT Discussion board.

FWIW, I either shove or fold to his 3bet.
      +1
    • Meseany
      Meseany
      Basic
      +1?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      +1 = agree :)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      First of all I would open raise to 2BB. 3BB is way too much and way too expensive if you want to steal the blinds from time to time.

If he 3bets our early position open raise you should most likely fold, unless your opponent was very loose aggressive.

Not sure how many BB's you had - but a shove seems way overplayed against most opponents. At the same time AJ is not very suitable for a call since it is hard to play on many boards against your opponents' range.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Meseany
      Meseany
      Basic
      Thanks Asaban,

I think you've helped to define a leak which I have.

I can tend to open raise 3BB with A10 or better Ax.

Also - when the flop comes and Ive missed then I can bet 1/2 pot on flop, turn and river only to be called by someone with a hand.

Im thinking maye better to go 1/3 pot on flop - if called maybe same sized bet again - but surely I cannot chk the river - if Im going to chk anywhere it'd be the turn right?
    • Paklu
      Paklu
      Bronze
      Don't bet more when you hit flop then what you would do without flop hit.

Preflop minraise is usually better, so do it with ALL hands when deep in a tournament. Good players note you if you open different sizes with different hands and use that information.

When you open early position think how AJs relates to your normal early position raising hand. For most players here I quess its mediogre hand (in late position it would be very good hand). If you are tight you can fold AJs vs. reraise, but calling isn't horrible either.(30bb deep postflop shouldn't be hard, If villain ever bluffs calling is ok though FT bubble makes fold better than usual, after preflop call it's 12bb pot about 30bb effective behind so we can happily c-shove top pair and big draws vs. most loose preflop ranges).

Your opponent took betting lead preflop with 3-bet, if your opponent ever bluffs preflop HE IS ALWAYS bluffing this flop. Check and let him put money in with his weaker hands, then depending of his bet sizing continue with reraise or call.

I would suggest never leading flop if someone else was the last raiser preflop. Most players do it wrong (their range is too narrow and strong).
    • yankomania
      yankomania
      Bronze
      I guess I'm just a fish swimming here and there, but I just don't understand openraising from EP 2x? Especially if antes involved when you're giving big blind position right odds to call with everything.. I even don't see use for changing default raise sizes except late position which depends from opponents in blinds.. But that's just my 2cents.. ;)

At this situation without any reads about opponent- defo fold, with reads and knowing that he loves to minraise, going all-in in my opinion is the most +EV move.. ;)

Best of luck at the tables,

yankomania :f_biggrin: