go PRO or go BUSTO

• mortal1ty
      mortal1ty
      Bronze
      Hey all,
      Ive decided to give a try on making a poker a bigger part of my life and try to become semi/pro player.
      My initial thoughts are focus on texas hold em (HAvent made final decision but either tourney or sng's).
      I ll be sinking a 1k$ into online poker and same as much into live.

Series of questions:
      1.Then it comes to poker software im completely 'green' what are your thoughts on what is it a must have? and what could u reccomend for sngs/tourneys.
      2. I will pick PokerStars as my kickoff poker room just purely because of traffic. If i dont know something i might find relevant please feel free correct me on this choice.
      3. Ive have seen over the years number of people posting which were high stakes players which decided not connect their profiles on poker rooms with pokerstrategy.com now i do understand the benefits players are getting being connected , any reasons u think of why it might be more beneficial not playing as part of PS community member?
      4. Can u recommend any literature from series 'must read' on the texas sngs/tourneys?

Thanks for readin, take care
  • 5 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there morality, that's a high goal you've set yourself but you'll get plenty of advice and encouragement from this great community!

I moved this to the Successess and challenges forum as it seems a more appropriate place for it.

Best regards and good luck to you.

Mal.
    • mortal1ty
      mortal1ty
      Bronze
      another thing i forgot to ask.
      About taxation on poker winings is there any site with fresh information on how big burden on winings are in diffrent countries, as i am a citizen of one country and resident of other.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Hey mortal1ty! good to see you are thinking about taking poker seriously :)

I'll give my thoughts in blue below:

Originally posted by mortal1ty

Series of questions:
      1.Then it comes to poker software im completely 'green' what are your thoughts on what is it a must have? and what could u reccomend for sngs/tourneys.

Some people might disagree with me, but I really think just equilab (bottom of this page) and Holdem Manager or Pokertracker. People find things like Tableninja and Leakbuster useful but if you are looking for a must have then it will be the bare basics (imo all you need). Specifically for SNGs/tourneys I'm afraid I can't give too much of an opinion because I don't play these, but again it will be HM/PT/equilab and definitely the ICM trainer - you can find these on the page I linked above.

2. I will pick PokerStars as my kickoff poker room just purely because of traffic. If i dont know something i might find relevant please feel free correct me on this choice.

I don't think you can really go wrong with signing up to Pokerstars. Really reliable site, great software, tons of traffic and don't listen to anyone who says there are no fish there. The choice you make shouldn't be based on where everyone else plays just from what you read in the forums though; instead you should do some looking into things like rake, limits, currency, traffic, and if you play tourneys then what sort of tourneys run there. Check out the list of rooms. Just because a room is smaller in comparison to something like Pokerstars - they often make up for it with things like rakeback, really soft player pools and great first deposit bonuses so it is definitely worth it.

3. Ive have seen over the years number of people posting which were high stakes players which decided not connect their profiles on poker rooms with pokerstrategy.com now i do understand the benefits players are getting being connected , any reasons u think of why it might be more beneficial not playing as part of PS community member?

Well it is often the case that people simply hadn't heard of Pokerstrategy before signing up to a poker room. Because of that, they cannot retrack their poker accounts and play as a pokerstrategist there because it is mostly against the terms and conditions of the poker room. I signed up a long time ago to Pokerstars and kick myself for not doing it through Pokerstrategy. I've experienced a few other training sites as well and although each one has its pros and cons, I still always prefer Pokerstrategy and I can't see a reason not to play tracked. The quality and diversity of content (not forgetting the awesome forums!) is much better than any other site in my opinion.

4. Can u recommend any literature from series 'must read' on the texas sngs/tourneys?

Sorry I can't be too much help with this question because it isn't my game. However, I do recommend reading everything you have access to on this page.

Thanks for readin, take care
      Hope that helps! Looking forward to seeing some updates from you.
      Lewis.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      You got some very good and detailed answers to xour questions above.
      Event though I don't play mtts anymore as my core game; I really liked book "Kill Everyone" because it presented few perspectives on different aspects of mtts. So, if you didn't read it, try it out..
      GL with your goals!
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      I wish you all the best with your goals man!
      From my experience SNGs is easier way to make the money then Cash game. So if you are looking for short term quicker cash and live of poker decently SNGs are way to go for sure. If you want to become master of poker definitely go for Cash game. I can give you many reasons why I think Cash game players are better than SNG players but just think of post flop (cash game guys deal with it lot more then sng guys cause ranges are much wider in cash) as well as 3 /4/5+ bet dynamics. I think anybody who works hard enough can within one year make post rb 3k $ a month from SNGs grinding 12 tables 120 hours a month. For cash game players I am sure that decent NL 100 regulars make this much money but there is still much more space to make 5,6,10k etc. In SNGs on Stars that has most traffic and games offered, after you beat 15s 6 max you either have to mix other formats of SNGs to be profitable post rb from 30-60-100s cause simply pre rb people are maximum 2-3% ROI there versus cash game where you see people crushing and owning at NL200+ like bosses.
      That's my 2 cents on the whole story. I had coach and staker until recently for year and a half and I am super grateful to him for teaching me to play SNGs and to make living with them. I am seriously considering in future (maybe in a year or so) expanding my game to cash game format or switching to 6 max hypers SNE chase cause SNGs in between don't make too much sense to play (you waste a lot of time to brake even pre rb when instead you can invest in studying ICM in hypers and go for SNE with 100k+ from rake every year).
      Good luck and wish you all the best - you are definitely at the right place to learn and turn pro!

P.S. As far as software goes you need tracking software Holdem Manager and/or Poker Tracker, for SNGs you should get holdem resources calculator and ICM trainer and for cash there are bunch of usefull software but I heard Flopzilla is really good + Poker Strategy Equilab is a must and is free like ICM Trainer!. As far as tracking account via Poker strategy goes, I can tell you I am kicking myself now for not knowing about it! Wish my Poker Stars was tracked this way, in 2013 I played over 23k SNGs in 6 months, I would easily have Diamond status here and acces to all the awesome material this community has to offer. Definitely play Stars trough Poker Strategy it will pay off in a long run!