Multiple desktops

• Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Hello!

I need help. I just bought another monitor and I want to use it to play poker, but if I just drag the tables to the other screen the tile tables option doesn't work. A friend told me that I could probably create multiple virtual desktops so I downloaded Virtual win, but I don't know how to make one desktop show on one screen and the other one on the other screen, frankly I'm not even sure it's possible^^

So if anybody has any useful suggestions or knows what to do, PLEASE HELP!

PS: I have the new monitor plugged in to my laptop so I can't switch the new monitor to primary^^
  • 7 replies
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      I can't help you, but I do know that tile works at stars :D
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      I don't know if I understand correctly. But to show your desktop over two monitors, you do the following:

Right click on desktop and select properties. Click on the setting tab and there should be a drop down box labeled Display. Select the second monitor and make sure the check box "Extend my Windows onto this monitor". Then you should you desktop extended onto the additional monitor.

Hope it helps. Haven't tried it with poker though. Thinking of getting an additional monitor and asked the IT guy from work how to extend the desktop and this is what he showed me.

EDIT: You probably already know what I told you. Would a script like Stars planner work on multiple screens?
    • riv3rd4ncer
      riv3rd4ncer
      Bronze
      i don't know if it will help with your specific problem, but there's software like Ultramon that gives a lot of extra options when running multiple displays. they have a setting where the second screen has a separate taskbar and everything, so i'm guessing tiling should work on each screen individually then.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      I'm using nVidia Control Panel - don't know about windows, but it's better to use Control Panel from your VGA manufacturer (ATI, nVidia)..

And about tiling: Stars tiling is not the best in this situation, so I stick to StarsPlanner AHK script which works great (can be found on 2+2).

gd luck
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Thanks for all your help guys, but nothing works :( Stars tile does work, but it just tiles them on the primary monitor first and then on the secondary^^

I'll probably just use a planner like opal suggested, that will probably work best. Just have to find it now....
    • Walti72
      Walti72
      Bronze
      Cant help you with your problem, sorry, but just be aware that if you are using Vista they still have problems with multiple screens which will make the pc crash.

And we don't want that when you get dealt AA.

Good luck
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      I plugged my laptop into one of the monitors at varsity. You just extend your desktop as I explained previously. Then with StarsPlanner AHK script you arrange the tables as you want them and save the layout. Now open the tables and it will automatically sort them for you.

I just had to get used to moving my mouse pointer form one screen to the next, I felt a bit weird for me :) Stars urgent table will also take your mouse pointer to the table you have to make the decision.

http://overcards.com/wiki/moin.cgi/AutoHotKey (here you will find the scripts, remove if these links are not allowed ;) )

P.S. I'm running Windows XP.