Any profitable poker formats?

• Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      In my search for a reasonable, stble and profitable format of poker, I have gone through many different versions of Hold'em. Standard, turbo, hyper turbo, 6max, 9max, Fifty50, HU, Multi Table Tournaments/SNG'es, Satellites, Cash games.

To my surprise the only games where I have maintained a generally positive (and stable) return are the hyper turboes (9-max). This is nuts, considering that they are (in theory) the most variance prone. And indeed, at times the variance hits, and is encountered only by the sheer volume I can play of those. And I never learn. I have again and again tried to try something with less variance. Ideally it should be DoN's, I believe. Howeve, as we all know, Pokerstars (unfortunately the only site with any traffic) changed them to Fifty50'es - which I consider the scam of the millennia... yes, flame away... But has anybody actually managed to win them... on a regular basis? Is there a minimum buyin one should play? I have tried searching for intelligent life at the Fifty50 tables, from $1,50 up to $15, but haven't seen any. Yes, lots of braindead fishes equals easy money, you say. I argue against that. One of the best weapons a general has is the ability to predict the moves and the thinking processes of his/her opponent. Now, this advantage is void if the opponent himself has no clue himself/herself. This makes the Fifty50'es essentially more variance heavy than MTT hyper turboes. You either get good cards and double up early on, and hope not to get[Edited by VorpalF2F], or you blind away, and get [edited by gadget51].

I'd like to think myself as an above average player. Yet one thing I can't crasp is Fifty50 - damn, I feel I should censor the damn name every time I mention it.

Any ideas?
  • 11 replies
    • meepwn
      meepwn
      Bronze
      I can't beat any game except 9 man hypers. Here is my reasoning on why this is Stars fault and not me being bad.

[Edited by VorpalF2F]
    • Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      Originally posted by meepwn
      I can't beat any game except 9 man hypers. Here is my reasoning on why this is Stars fault and not me being bad.

[Edited by VorpalF2F]

[Edited by VorpalF2F]
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Good Day.
      I've edited out a couple of comments that are not helpful to create a pleasant forum atmosphere.

Please read our forum principles to get a better understanding of what is expected.

Thanks,
      --VS
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I don't think the issue here is finding the most profitable poker format for you.

I think the main problem here is you finding a poker format that you actually enjoy playing.

Bouncing from format to format suggest that you haven't found one that you actually enjoy and want to dedicate your time to master.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      Originally posted by maythany
      I don't think the issue here is finding the most profitable poker format for you.

I think the main problem here is you finding a poker format that you actually enjoy playing.

Bouncing from format to format suggest that you haven't found one that you actually enjoy and want to dedicate your time to master.
      I actually do like playing Fifty50'es. More so, than hypers.

I might be leaking somewhere, but the sheer amount of seats occuppied by those behind in the evolution ladder will oftentimes force me to play more cautiously - or not to play some hands at all, when they should in most cases be profitable. I will be risking far more busting out in a Fifty50 than in other tournament formats.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I played some fify50's and I find that my play-ability is limited because of the short increasing blinds and the awkward stack sizes 8-6 handed.

If fifty50's are your thing then go for it, but I made a thread about the variance in fifty50's and I posted a graph about one of the top players at the <2 dollar fifty50s sngs on sharkscope being a loser until over 5,000 games.

Check it out: Variance in Fifty50

So I don't know how that will affect your decision to continue playing, but I just wanted to let you know about the game. Then again if you have a strong interest in fifty50's then you'll definitely put in the time to become a profitable player.

As for me I am sticking to turbo SNGs :s_cool:

Take Care,

Maythany
    • Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      Thanks, Maythany. :)

Yes, the stack sizes become awkward indeed in the mid-late game.

As for the graph, I'd assume that the player in question did not know what he was doing when he/she started playing, thus the big loss (relative to BI) in the beginning. The rest of the graph is quite solid.

The problem I am having, is that I am running quite a lot -EV for the better part of a year. Anyway, I'll post more hands for the good judges to evaluate. :)
    • oblioo
      oblioo
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Good Day.
      I've edited out a couple of comments that are not helpful to create a pleasant forum atmosphere.

Please read our forum principles to get a better understanding of what is expected.

Thanks,
      --VS
      OP using the phrase "xxxxxxxxx" is also not helpful to create a pleasant forum atmosphere...
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by oblioo
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Good Day.

Thanks,
      --VS
      OP using the phrase "xxxxxxx" is also not helpful to create a pleasant forum atmosphere...
      +1 - Thanks oblioo for also speaking up.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Styr,

I edited out that comment as inappropriate for the forums for the reasons stated earlier by VorpalF2F.

Regards,

Mal.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Find a game you enjoy playing and study. There is no future for a profitable poker player to blame your lack of winrate on recreational players playing too badly. It's more than likely that you're either not a winning player, or you tilt away any edge you do have.