This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Any profitable poker formats?

• Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      In my search for a reasonable, stble and profitable format of poker, I have gone through many different versions of Hold'em. Standard, turbo, hyper turbo, 6max, 9max, Fifty50, HU, Multi Table Tournaments/SNG'es, Satellites, Cash games.

To my surprise the only games where I have maintained a generally positive (and stable) return are the hyper turboes (9-max). This is nuts, considering that they are (in theory) the most variance prone. And indeed, at times the variance hits, and is encountered only by the sheer volume I can play of those. And I never learn. I have again and again tried to try something with less variance. Ideally it should be DoN's, I believe. Howeve, as we all know, Pokerstars (unfortunately the only site with any traffic) changed them to Fifty50'es - which I consider the scam of the millennia... yes, flame away... But has anybody actually managed to win them... on a regular basis? Is there a minimum buyin one should play? I have tried searching for intelligent life at the Fifty50 tables, from $1,50 up to $15, but haven't seen any. Yes, lots of braindead fishes equals easy money, you say. I argue against that. One of the best weapons a general has is the ability to predict the moves and the thinking processes of his/her opponent. Now, this advantage is void if the opponent himself has no clue himself/herself. This makes the Fifty50'es essentially more variance heavy than MTT hyper turboes. You either get good cards and double up early on, and hope not to get[Edited by VorpalF2F], or you blind away, and get [edited by gadget51].

I'd like to think myself as an above average player. Yet one thing I can't crasp is Fifty50 - damn, I feel I should censor the damn name every time I mention it.

Any ideas?
  • 11 replies
    • meepwn
      meepwn
      Bronze
      I can't beat any game except 9 man hypers. Here is my reasoning on why this is Stars fault and not me being bad.

[Edited by VorpalF2F]
    • Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      Originally posted by meepwn
      I can't beat any game except 9 man hypers. Here is my reasoning on why this is Stars fault and not me being bad.

[Edited by VorpalF2F]

[Edited by VorpalF2F]
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Good Day.
      I've edited out a couple of comments that are not helpful to create a pleasant forum atmosphere.

Please read our forum principles to get a better understanding of what is expected.

Thanks,
      --VS
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I don't think the issue here is finding the most profitable poker format for you.

I think the main problem here is you finding a poker format that you actually enjoy playing.

Bouncing from format to format suggest that you haven't found one that you actually enjoy and want to dedicate your time to master.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      Originally posted by maythany
      I don't think the issue here is finding the most profitable poker format for you.

I think the main problem here is you finding a poker format that you actually enjoy playing.

Bouncing from format to format suggest that you haven't found one that you actually enjoy and want to dedicate your time to master.
      I actually do like playing Fifty50'es. More so, than hypers.

I might be leaking somewhere, but the sheer amount of seats occuppied by those behind in the evolution ladder will oftentimes force me to play more cautiously - or not to play some hands at all, when they should in most cases be profitable. I will be risking far more busting out in a Fifty50 than in other tournament formats.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I played some fify50's and I find that my play-ability is limited because of the short increasing blinds and the awkward stack sizes 8-6 handed.

If fifty50's are your thing then go for it, but I made a thread about the variance in fifty50's and I posted a graph about one of the top players at the <2 dollar fifty50s sngs on sharkscope being a loser until over 5,000 games.

Check it out: Variance in Fifty50

So I don't know how that will affect your decision to continue playing, but I just wanted to let you know about the game. Then again if you have a strong interest in fifty50's then you'll definitely put in the time to become a profitable player.

As for me I am sticking to turbo SNGs :s_cool:

Take Care,

Maythany
    • Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      Thanks, Maythany. :)

Yes, the stack sizes become awkward indeed in the mid-late game.

As for the graph, I'd assume that the player in question did not know what he was doing when he/she started playing, thus the big loss (relative to BI) in the beginning. The rest of the graph is quite solid.

The problem I am having, is that I am running quite a lot -EV for the better part of a year. Anyway, I'll post more hands for the good judges to evaluate. :)
    • oblioo
      oblioo
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Good Day.
      I've edited out a couple of comments that are not helpful to create a pleasant forum atmosphere.

Please read our forum principles to get a better understanding of what is expected.

Thanks,
      --VS
      OP using the phrase "xxxxxxxxx" is also not helpful to create a pleasant forum atmosphere...
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by oblioo
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Good Day.

Thanks,
      --VS
      OP using the phrase "xxxxxxx" is also not helpful to create a pleasant forum atmosphere...
      +1 - Thanks oblioo for also speaking up.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Styr,

I edited out that comment as inappropriate for the forums for the reasons stated earlier by VorpalF2F.

Regards,

Mal.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Find a game you enjoy playing and study. There is no future for a profitable poker player to blame your lack of winrate on recreational players playing too badly. It's more than likely that you're either not a winning player, or you tilt away any edge you do have.