Advice for 2 big flaws

• jimira
      jimira
      Bronze
      I play 9man hypers with a very good ROI, only problem is my hourly is rather low because of 2 big problems of mine; multitabling and variance.

At best I play 6 tables and manage that okay, but then variance hits me I’m down to 4 tables an EVEN 2 tables to play my best and minimize variance. I also play money scared and don’t move up because of that even though I should be able to beat the next level – combine that with my variance TILT – and I will probably never move up.

My own advice would be to just fckn PLAY and forget about variance and money, but that’s difficult if not impossible.

Any other advice would be very appriciated.
  • 4 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Moved this to our SNG board.

Multitabling is a skill and it takes time and patience. I would only play the amount of tables that YOU feel comfortable playing that DOESN'T affect your winrate. If you are playing 6 table sets and losing and win more by playing 2-3 tables, then play 2-3 tables.

Money scared is not an issue I've ever had so I cannot comment on that :(
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by jimira
      I play 9man hypers with a very good ROI, only problem is my hourly is rather low because of 2 big problems of mine; multitabling and variance.

At best I play 6 tables and manage that okay, but then variance hits me I’m down to 4 tables an EVEN 2 tables to play my best and minimize variance. I also play money scared and don’t move up because of that even though I should be able to beat the next level – combine that with my variance TILT – and I will probably never move up.

My own advice would be to just fckn PLAY and forget about variance and money, but that’s difficult if not impossible.

Any other advice would be very appriciated.
      Hey jimira,

Your problem and solution are locked in that one highlighted statement.

It can be a huge problem. When I first started playing online poker about 5 years ago, I had no acceptable I.D., no credit cards, no way to deposit.

So I freerolled and freerolled and freerolled. Literally spent 100s of hours playing freerolls for the reward of having a real money balance, no matter how small.

This created a problem. I had spent so much time and effort for that small amount of money that I became very protective of it. I identified this problem and have spent the last 2 years trying to stop the feelings of playing 'scared' money.

I think I have made real progress but as a warning, it can be a slow process. I would recommend any book on mindset, in particular Jared Tendler's excellent 'The Mental Game of Poker'.

And you are dead right. Being able to make these changes IS difficult but NOT impossible. These feelings are deeply ingrained in a person's psyche.

It is easy to learn and implement a new hand range because this is complimentary information.

In the case of playing 'scared money', your sub-conscious mind (as a means of self defense) starts reaching into your conscious mind and interferes in your thought patterns causing indecision.

I am not 100% cured, but I have learnt to recognise when this is happening and try to ignore it. I still make mistakes where I shouldn't but as long as I continue to see progress, I will keep hammering away.

Hope this helps

Laz
    • jimira
      jimira
      Bronze
      Ohh you are so right with the part of "deeply ingrained in a person's psyche", I can see and understand that and it totally relates to me. Unfortunate I'm a NIT concerning Money so I play with a bankroll of almost 500x at the moment and should move up, but loosing like 1/5 of it in variance would put me on monkeytilt, or even would make me wanna stop playing.

I have "poker mindset" but never got to make use of it. I've just started reading and gonna finish it to the last page, marking problems that relate to me, and possible solutions.

One of the first topics that I marked was this:

"understand variance and ACCEPT it"

can be difficult for someone like me, but it is something (as you state) I will have to Work with. And I guess, that as long I have a positive red line to back me up, it can be done.

Thank you for understanding Lazza
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey jimira,

Don't worry about being over-rolled. Just because you are rolled for a higher limit doesn't mean you have to play it.

For me it means I'm comfortably beating my current limit AND I'm comfortable about moving up. Until that day comes, I'm happy to potter about at the lower limit.

Happy Grinding

Laz