What are your goals for 2014?

• Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

in the article below I describe how I completely crushed my goals in 2013 and how you can crush yours too next year.

Now let's get this ball rolling - using the action steps found below, what are your goals for 2014?

-Primoz

This blog post has been pasted from my blog, http://www.highstakesmindset.com - if you want more (along with frequent updates on new posts), sign up for the e-mail list there!

2014 - The Year Of Going ALL IN

How did you like 2013? Did you complete all of your goals that you set at the beginning of the year? If yes, congratulations! If no, ask yourself, why not?

A year ago I was sitting down and planning my goals for 2013. 2012 was a great year from me, and it was hard for me to expect to repeat the results in 2013. But I did it. And I crushed some of the goals in ways that I didn't dare to imagine beforehand.

But how do you do that? How do you make sure that the goals that you set for 2014 won't be just another new year's resolution that?

Today I will share with you some strategies that I used which worked very well for me in 2013.

Setting Yearly Goals, Not New Year's Resolutions

First of all, why the hell are we setting goals NOW and not on the 1st of January? Well, because around that time, it's so easy to get lost within all the other BS new year's resolutions and "trying harder". Another reason is that if you want to be up and running in 2014, you'll need to make some preparations first.

The key with setting yearly goals is to make them big, exciting and even unrealistic? Why? Because if the goal is big and exciting, it's much more likely that you will reach it, even if it is slightly unrealistic. On the other hand, if the goal doesn't excite you, then it doesn't matter whether it's realistic or not, as you won't reach it anyway.

Another thing that people often forget to do is set up a system to actually review these goals frequently and evaluate your progress towards them. I mean, how many times have you set goals in the past only to forget about them after 2 days and focus on something else?

This system doesn't need to be complicated. It can be as simple as setting up a monthly calendar reminder in Google Calendar every 1st Monday of the month.

Now let's put this into action - you can do this NOW, in 5 easy steps.

ACTION STEPS:
      • Write down 10 BIG things that would really excite you in 2014
      • Select the top 3 of those things that are the MOST EXCITING and make them your yearly goals
      • Set up a Google Calendar event on the first Monday of 2014, at whatever time works for you (it's 1pm for me)
      • Copy the yearly goals in the event description
      • Set the event to repeat 12 times, on every first Monday of the month.

Thinking DIFFERENTLY And Taking Massive Action

So, how did I actually manage to crush my goals from 2013? Was it simply by using the approaches from 2012 and putting in a lot more hours? Sadly no, it's not that simple. Just "trying harder" didn't work.

Instead, I was always on the look-out for new strategies that I could experiment with, and whenever I learned something new I would instantly implement it. Don't believe me? Look at one of the comments on a mastermind group that I'm in - it's from my friend Jarrett who I met last week in San Francisco:

Everyone can consume information and take advice. But few are the people who actually implement it. It turns out that those are the people that usually excel above the mediocre masses.

And I want YOU to be the next person who snaps out of the reading mode and takes immediate action. If you haven't done the action steps above yet, do them now. They will only take you a couple of minutes. If you don't want to do them, or think you will "do them later", the truth is that you most likely won't. Later, you will find another e-mail to read and you will forget about this post. And then, you will again see no progress at all.

Once you're done with those action steps, let's move on to the new ones (yes, I'll get you to do a lot of work today. But you want to improve, don't you?)

ACTION STEPS:
      • Identify ONE thing that you wanted to do recently but just never got around to doing it. It can be a new exercise plan. A productivity technique. Or setting up a party for your friends.
      • Take 1 minute to break down this thing into smaller, actionable steps. What do you need to do to get going?
      • Take a small, quick step towards finishing that thing NOW. You want to host a party? Call your friend if he wants to co-host it. Want to start doing a new exercise plan? Print it out.

The cool thing about taking action is that it gives you momentum. Even taking small steps can translate into soon taking bigger and bigger steps, which eventually lead to massive changes in your life.

There is also a big mistake that many people make when it comes to taking action. Many people say to themselves that "this won't work for them" in advance. So they don't even try to implement something new. Or, they try but give up after a few minutes when they don't see the results immediately.

In order to overcome this issue, you need to shift your thought process from "I'm not sure if I can do this" or "I'm not sure if this will work for me" to "I'll try it out and to my best to MAKE it work for me".

Something that worked for someone else might not work for you immediately, but with a few adjustments you can quite easily implement almost any system in your life.

Don't Do Everything On Your Own

The third thing that made probably the biggest difference for me was connecting with other like-minded people. I joined some mastermind groups of people who were working on the same goals as I was. I've found myself new mentors and advisers. And I'll show you how you can do this as well in a minute.

There were two main benefits from connecting with like-minded people - I would constantly get new inspirations and ideas for my projects from them, as well as a different point of view that would often solve my issues when I was stuck.

When you are reaching out to others, you should focus on reaching out to people who are at least a level above you in a certain skill, whether it's poker, nutrition, exercising, business or productivity. I personally prefer to find people who are the best at what they do, but I know that this might be a bit hard to do at first.

One thing that you need to understand about reaching out to other people is that it's not about you getting something from them. Of course this might eventually happen, but often you won't get anything in return immediately. So instead of focusing what you can get from people, think about what you can give to them.

Luckily for you, one of the biggest value adds is in something that pretty much everybody is capable of doing - in implementing advice and thanking people for it. This is because so few people do this. I give out advice to many people, and the majority never implement it. Some implement it but don't let me know about it. The people who implement it and do let me know about it are the ones that I will always happily help in case they get stuck because I know that they won't waste my time by not implementing the new advice that I give them.

Let me give you a script that you can use right now to reach out to others. They can be poker coaches or other poker players. You need to be a bit careful with asking for help if you are talking to a super busy person like a very well known poker coach, but if you're just talking to a poker player you can generally ask for more, at least a short Skype call. What the hell, I'll make your life easier and just give you scripts for both.

SCRIPT - REACHING OUT TO A POKER COACH

Hi [NAME],

My name is Primoz, also known as Schnitzelfisch on Pokerstrategy. I've followed your last video series closely and implemented the concepts from it. The concept that I really liked and that made the biggest difference for me was X - I was very lost in that spot before, but now I'm very confident that I can make +EV decisions in this spot.

Thank you so much for producing the series, it made my life a ton easier!

I have a couple of questions on Y - would you mind if I sent them your way to get some feedback on them?

Thanks,

-Primoz

Notice how I didn't ask for anything committing in return yet. You're dealing with a busy person here and their time is very valuable. So instead of sending them 10 questions right away, ask them if they would be willing to help out. If they say yes, you can send them the questions and I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll get a good answer back.

The next step after you get the reply is pretty simple - implement the hell out of the advice and let the coach know about how it went. Do this for a while and you'll pretty soon develop a good relationship, in fact you might even get a mentor out of it.

Let's move on to the next script.

SCRIPT - REACHING OUT TO A POKER PLAYER

Hi [NAME],

My name is Primoz, also known as Schnitzelfisch on Pokerstrategy. I've followed your blog for a while and I really liked the posts on X, Y, Z. I actually implemented concept A from post X and got these results, so that really worked well for me!

Since you seem to be really good at A, would it be possible for us to set up a short 15 or 30 minute Skype call where I could ask you a couple of questions on this subject?

If you're up for it, my Skype username is: *******, and I'm free at the following times:

Tomorrow (Saturday) at 4pm-8pm CET (use their timezone if you know it)
      Sunday and Monday all day
      Tomorrow at 5pm would work best for me.

Are you in?

-Primoz

Notice how I used a specific time and made it super easy for the other person to accept this invitation? And honestly, if you were in their place and someone sent you an e-mail like this, would you ever decline it? I don't think so.

One thing that you can do (if the call goes well) afterwards to build the relationship is to keep scheduling Skype calls. I usually talk with my friends on a weekly basis and after we finish a call we immediately schedule another one (I use Google Calendar for this).

To get the most out of relationships like this, make sure that you are constantly adding value to the other person by actually implementing the advice that they give you, just like you did in the coach scenario.

Now that you have the scripts, it's time to put them to some use.

ACTION STEPS:
      • Brainstorm 3 people (coaches or poker players) that you really admire and want to reach out to
      • Send them the e-mails using the scripts above

And you're done with action steps for today! How does that make you feel? If you actually completed all of them, pat yourself on the shoulder because you deserved it.

Special Winter Coaching Programs

There's one last thing that I wanted to let you know about today. I'm running a special winter promotion with my 1on1 coaching programs that you can find here. If you're interested in 1on1 coachings from me, this is the best offer that you can get.

Since I have limited time, I am limiting this offer to only 6 students [4 spots left], and a couple of people have already contacted me about it - so don't wait until it's too late.

If this is not right for you but know a friend who might benefit from it, don't hesitate to share it with him!

Have a nice weekend!

-Primoz

This blog post has been pasted from my blog, http://www.highstakesmindset.com - if you want more (along with frequent updates on new posts), sign up for the e-mail list there!
  • 19 replies
    • ursusmm
      ursusmm
      Bronze
      Here are my 3 goals for 2014:

• Becoming a midstakes regular
      • Reach 300k VPPs on Stars
      • Earn enough to pay for a sick grinder PC and a nice trip during vacation

The first goal is aimed at my overall development process as a poker player while the second goal is aimed at the volume I have to put in. The second goal is guiding myself to finishing the first one.

The third goal is my motivation for that for achieving my first two goals.

Btw: Everybody should read that article. It is really well written and highly motivating :)
    • tonduluboy
      tonduluboy
      Bronze
      Done, i already set my goal since Nov30 2013. Stick a Goal setting Notice on the wall.

I am so motivate that i played over 1000 table last week, which normally will took me 5 months to play that kind of table.

My only obvious Goal so far, win more $$$ so that i can move up level.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      My goals for 2014:

- Maintain weekly play while studying at uni
      - Stay afloat at uni in general
      - Save up 1 BI each week to cash out at the end of my studies and do something interesting like build an underwater theme park (or maybe I'll just get some much needed coaching)
      - Play sensible poker
      - Pick up my guitar again for once in my life
      -
      Originally posted by tonduluboy
      My only obvious Goal so far, win more $$$ so that i can move up level.

amen!
    • pLAYERsjsk
      pLAYERsjsk
      Diamond
      my poker goals for 2014 are very simple, but i put a lot of thought into them.

:heart: have fun

:heart: buy this

edit: Thank you so much for producing this interesting article Primoz. It is very helpful and interesting. Good luck with your coaching carrier and achieving your goals again in 2014!
    • BOBOsvk
      BOBOsvk
      Bronze
      finally quit and never come back
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pLAYERsjsk
      my poker goals for 2014 are very simple, but i put a lot of thought into them.

:heart: have fun

:heart: buy this

edit: Thank you so much for producing this interesting article Primoz. It is very helpful and interesting. Good luck with your coaching carrier and achieving your goals again in 2014!
      Thank you for the nice words!

Just out of curiosity, how much would an appartment like that cost, and where are you getting it :) ?
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Remain perfect

that's all
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      1)Set 0 financial goals.
      2)Set moving up goals.
      3)Destroy the competition.
      4)Never talk about poker excepting with poker friends and online poker community.

That should be it. :f_grin:
    • pLAYERsjsk
      pLAYERsjsk
      Diamond
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Just out of curiosity, how much would an appartment like that cost, and where are you getting it :) ?
      i plan to get one for ~100k eur and it is a secret (europe) ;)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pLAYERsjsk
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      i plan to get one for ~100k eur and it is a secret (europe) ;)
      Nice, have fun with that!
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach

Brainstorm baby:

- make it into a floorball extraleague team. Do summer fitness and play one game with them
      - weight to 80kg/around 10% body fat
      - $10k bankroll
      - 3bb/100 NL100 winner 10 tabling
      - get laid
      - Make money from poker writing
      - strong but fast as a motherfucker. Forklift 30KG dumb bell curls
      - get a drivers licence and a car
      - Teach self to do only productive shit
      - move to a hot country
      - spend more time with family
      - Accept self as worthwhile person, have irresistible self-esteem
      - rent own flat
      - floorball tourney in Amsterdam
      - Visit a foreign country with pals
      - get a girlfriend compatible with poker and sports career
      - Make correct nutrition into a habit
      - Read a book per month
      - Get a poker student
      - Have a sick good C game and solid autopilot
      - Have a great attitude, always
      - teach System 1 to clean and have stuff in order

Phew, brainstorm done.

One thing I wanted to do: Set proper goals and action steps for 2014 by 31/12 24:00
      Action steps
      - read 3 papers in Google scholar on goal setting with notes by Tuesday 16/12 12:00
      - read 5 articles/sections on goal setting in poker books/blogs by Wednesday 18/12 12:00
      - Set up and send 5 max question questionnaires about goal setting to 10 current successful poker grinders, created from research by 18:00 Thursday 19/12
      - Write guide on goal setting using research and answers by Friday 27/12 24:00
      - Set own goals and create action plan by 31/12 24:00 and publish in my big strategy thread.

/challenge started!
    • backrake
      backrake
      Basic
      Thanks for this useful information I will try
    • aikira
      aikira
      Bronze
      -reach at least nl 400

-read 52 non fictional books

-finish my flat
    • kutero
      kutero
      Basic
      become a rake beating plo50 player or my life is next to over.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      -Become a regular at nl100 zoom
      -Buy a new pc
      -Visit friends in Dunners and Wellies
      -Become a mental game shark
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Primoz, isn't it your own opinion that yearly planning is ineffective, as many things can change during the year, and it's better to concentrate on weekly and monthly planning? :f_grin:

Anyway, alas I'll most likely have to plan a quarter ahead, so that's what outcomes I'd like to have on the 1st of April:

[ ] Be on a VIP level of an iPoker skin of my choice returning 44-50% of rake in addition to races (typically $5K in rake monthly or $15K quarterly is required)
      [ ] Be able to play two types of poker at once, at 12 tables in total, without autopiloting
      [ ] Be confident of my lines in >99% of poker hands played in the last week of March

That's far from impressive, but I usually meet a tiny % of announced monthly goals so succeeding in at least something will be a good start. I'm not a fan of too difficult goals, they just don't work for me, and I hate to see myself fail or listen to anyone accusing me of that, avoiding which is probably what keeps me ultimately happy, way happier than earning money or anything else, deal with it.
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Ok I'll bite.

My poker goal for 2014 is to finish a book I am working on, with the working title of 'Poker's Craziest Prop Bets'.

It is a collection of funny stories from the world of ridiculous proposition bets that poker players take part in.

I'm nearly half way through already, ideally I want to get in done by April so it potentially can be on the shelves around the WSOP.

btw, if any of you know of any funny prop bet stories I may not know about, email me at barry.carter@pokerstrategy.com
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      ACTION STEPS:
      [list]
      [*]Write down 10 BIG things that would really excite you in 2014

1) rehabilitate my body and strengthen it in all areas.

2) Try living in different countries.

3) learn to make own website and produce interesting content.

4) keep a strong grip on diet to increase weight.

5) Learn to play guitar and sing a small set worth of songs, make up my own song.

6) Learn sets of self improvement techniques, (learning to memorize, speed read, caligraphy, basic first aid, read books)

7) save 50% earnings each month for bankroll building take rest out.

8) work 100 hours a month+

9) save all points rb etc for christmas bonus.

10) become more independent learn to say no to thins that i dont really want to do and be able to go do whatever I feel like by myself.

[*]Select the top 3 of those things that are the MOST EXCITING and make them your yearly goals

1) rehabilitate my body and strengthen it in all areas.

2) Try living in different countries.

3) save 50% earnings each month for bankroll building take rest out.

ACTION STEPS:
      • Identify ONE thing that you wanted to do recently but just never got around to doing it. It can be a new exercise plan. A productivity technique. Or setting up a party for your friends.

Get out of brighton and project thailand!!!

• Take 1 minute to break down this thing into smaller, actionable steps. What do you need to do to get going?

get off council tax, gp and dental practice

Check out things i need in thailand jabs visa etc.

get everything out of brighton

sort out storage

fix computer

sort out pawn shop

make sure im no longer liable for paying rent

Wait until i can leave without missing doctors appointments

book flight

ACTION STEPS:

Brainstorm 3 people (coaches or poker players) that you really admire and want to reach out to

As poker mentor and player side i've already got a great list of contacts i'll look into reaching out to other people in aspects that i want to improve in 2014

It is a bit questionable whether i can take any advice as of yet regarding rehabilitating my body after breaking my back.

And i have already joined, and am able to contact lots of groups of people living in Thailand, the next country I wish to visit/ live. But because im still waiting on doctors appointments i cant plan too much.

Where would you recommend I look into finding people to reach out to given my 2014 goals?
    • liessens
      liessens
      Bronze
      -succeed all my exams at first sitting.
      - having no black holes(really don't know the correct expression in English)
      -run a marathon in under 4hour 15min
      -taste every beer possible in Ghent(this goal is almost impossible, but I will try to get as close as possible)
      -do at least 1cantus of every club with open cantus
      -play x games(I need extra information to fill in x. I will fill it at the end of February
      -have fun
      -buy a pc

Top 3goals
      -succeed all my exams at first sitting
      -run a marathon under 4hour 15min
      -play x games

But overall in life my first goal stays: have fun!