Starting with SH

• Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      Ok, I got my $50 (on Titan) about 4-5 months ago, donked around a bit with SSS, SnG, MTT and got to $120. Then I discovered FL, played 0.10/0.20 FR, then moved up to 0.25/0.50 FR, and now I'm playing 0.50/1.00 FR.

Now my BR is around $600, enough to move up to 1/2 FR, but I think I should rather start with 0.50/1.00 SH, and then move up to 1/2 SH when I get to $1,000.

I've been reading the articles on SH, also watched some videos (mostly TerrorBlade's), and tomorrow (Friday) I'll attend to Cornholio's coaching, so I think I'm ready for the switch.

As I was playing 8-10 tables FR, I think I'll be starting with 4 tables SH, maybe increasing it to 6 after some weeks (if I feel I can handle them).

Question about table selection: look for high VPIP or look for big pots?

Question about SHC: approx chart or Silver SH chart?

I'll start with SH tomorrow afternoon, any comments or suggestions much appreciated. :)
  • 4 replies
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      Hi,I switched to SH too from 0.5/1 FR,i think you have to focus to improve your game at this point,play 4 tables,and if you have played like 20k hands and have good winrate,test how much it is gonna affect your play if you add tables.

Use the silver Sh chart,the approx chart you can use 2/4+ imo,because there are so many loose passive/donkey players at 0.5/1.

Look for high vpip yes,but if it's really high(like all donkeys) then bluff less,respect passive players raises etc.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Hi Amirapuato;
      You're right: go for 0.5/1 SH! There's no reason to play 1/2 FR (i did it but there were no 0.5/1 Sh tables on Party back in time), because there are only shorthanded tables on higher limits - sooner you'll learn it, the sooner you can go higher (starting on 1/2 SH is too risky I think).

I agree with Backcushion: you should use silver chart on this limit and start with approx chart from 2/4; or maybe on 1/2 too, but I tried it few days ago (for fun and to get over few bad beats) and it's too loose to use approx chart - it could be just coincidence, but I can't see the reason to slow down (by checking charts) your game if there's 1 TAG on the table (and 4 guys with 50+ VPIP :rolleyes: ).

Just one more thing: I don't think it's good idea to start with 4 tables, if you're new to SH. It's much faster sometimes and you're playing more hands, so I'd start with only 2 for the first few hundreds hands.. 8-10 FR tables generate the same amount of hands as 6 SH, so starting with 4 is the equivalent to starting FL FR on 6 tables - do you agree that it's too much for beginner? ;)
      I know you're not beginner, but keep in mind that SH is faster and more aggressive than FR. :)

Good luck!
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      Thx for the replies.

I started with 2 tables, then quickly expanded to 4, and my first day on SH was great (you were right about the 1 TAG and 4 fishes). :D

I won about 50 BB playing some 1k hands, the fishes are terrible and the game is much more fun (it's like a permanent blind steal situation).

I called down a bit too much, missed some value bets on the river, but in general I think I played well. Will be posting some of those hands in the forum. :)
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Where can I find the approx chart?